SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Do you have access to technical document that indicates the circuit cannot accommodate anything over 6v?

The light is designed, and instructed to be run, according to Surefire, on 2 CR123A batteries. The burden of proof is upon you, and others, who claim that it is ok to run it on two lithium ions.

You asking me to provide a technical document showing the circuit cannot accommodate anything over 6V is the complete opposite of what should be asked.

I'm running the light according to the way Surefire intended. Some of you are running it out of specification with batteries that Surefire does not advise using. And you want ME to provide documentation?:confused:

Show me the documentation that says 8.3 volts is ok................

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light is designed, and instructed to be run, according to Surefire, on 2 CR123A batteries. The burden of proof is upon you, and others, who claim that it is ok to run it on two lithium ions.

You asking me to provide a technical document showing the circuit cannot accommodate anything over 6V is the complete opposite of what should be asked.

I'm running the light according to the way Surefire intended. Some of you are running it out of specification with batteries that Surefire does not advise using. And you want ME to provide documentation?:confused:

Show me the documentation that says 8.3 volts is ok................
Ok Ned Flanders, you got me, I'm one of the outlaw renegades daring to run batteries that are shown to work fine in these lights.

I better get back to my moonlight bonfire dance to pagan dieties and see what other wild trouble I can get into, maybe I'll put thousand island dressing on my hotdog or something crazy like that. :wave:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Ok Ned Flanders, you got me, I'm one of the outlaw renegades daring to run batteries that are shown to work fine in these lights.

I better get back to my moonlight bonfire dance to pagan dieties and see what other wild trouble I can get into, maybe I'll put thousand island dressing on my hotdog or something crazy like that. :wave:

"shown to work fine"

I can overdrive the hell out of a lot of LED's, and severely reduce their lifespan, and still claim that they "work fine".

FWIW, I would love to throw in a set of rechargeables into my EDCL-2T, but until someone comes along and reassures me with tech data showing it's ok to do that, rather than some ridiculous comments made by someone doesn't have any data to back up their claim, I'm going to stick with primaries.

"They work fine" does not contain any real data. Explain to me WHY they work fine. Trust me. I'm on your side. I really want to run rechargeables in this light.

Last edited:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
"shown to work fine"

I can overdrive the hell out of a lot of LED's, and severely reduce their lifespan, and still claim that they "work fine".

FWIW, I would love to throw in a set of rechargeables into my EDCL-2T, but until someone comes along and reassures me with tech data showing it's ok to do that, rather than some ridiculous comments made by someone doesn't have any data to back up their claim, I'm going to stick with primaries.

"They work fine" does not contain any real data. Explain to me WHY they work fine. Trust me. I'm on your side. I really want to run rechargeables in this light.

Use 2 lithium phosphate K2 batteries that Surefire sells/sold for use in their LED lights.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
"shown to work fine"

Then stick with primaries and move on, why do you bother arguing with noobs like us since we obviously are all new to flashlights and clearly not up to your standards.

You really should read "How to win friends and influence people" if you are gonna keep claiming "I'm on your side".

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Then stick with primaries and move on, why do you bother arguing with noobs like us since we obviously are all new to flashlights and clearly not up to your standards.

You really should read "How to win friends and influence people" if you are gonna keep claiming "I'm on your side".

I simply asked for some proof/reassurance that running this flashlight outside of manufacturers specifications was ok. You instead decided to personally attack me for it, and resorted to name calling, and assumptions of how I feel towards other members. You obviously have taken it very personal that I questioned you and your claims, and your reply's here honestly come across as someone with a child like mentality. You are upset that I have not taken your word for it that lithium ions "work fine" in this light, and that's clear to anyone who reads this thread.

I also find it ironic and almost laughable that you are giving advice on "how to win friends and influence people" while at the same time having a temper tantrum because someone is questioning you/disagreeing with you, and are also giving nonsense responses that lack any factual data, instead of supporting your claim.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Use 2 lithium phosphate K2 batteries that Surefire sells/sold for use in their LED lights.

I don't see them listed on Surefire's website anymore. I do recall a post earlier in this thread where a user said his didn't work with them, for whatever reason. It may be worth a shot to buy a set to try.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I simply asked for some proof/reassurance that running this flashlight outside of manufacturers specifications was ok. You instead decided to personally attack me for it, and resorted to name calling, and assumptions of how I feel towards other members. You obviously have taken it very personal that I questioned you and your claims, and your reply's here honestly come across as someone with a child like mentality. You are upset that I have not taken your word for it that lithium ions "work fine" in this light, and that's clear to anyone who reads this thread.

I also find it ironic and almost laughable that you are giving advice on "how to win friends and influence people" while at the same time having a temper tantrum because someone is questioning you/disagreeing with you, and are also giving nonsense responses that lack any factual data, instead of supporting your claim.

You should absolutely ignore us and move on, and use the primary batteries recommended by Surefire. We will all be better off if you didn't pay attention to us.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't see them listed on Surefire's website anymore. I do recall a post earlier in this thread where a user said his didn't work with them, for whatever reason. It may be worth a shot to buy a set to try.

Here's a report from earlier in the thread:

I tried a all of my other K2 cells and my light does NOT function properly when using those batteries. I guess this will be a primaries only light for me.

I don't have any K2 cells but I do have some nominal 3 volt Tenergy LiFePO4 cells and they don't work well with the EDCL-2T.

The only rechargeables I've had luck with on this light are high current IMR's from 4Sevens, Olight, AW and Exell.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Here's a report from earlier in the thread:

I don't have any K2 cells but I do have some nominal 3 volt Tenergy LiFePO4 cells and they don't work well with the EDCL-2T.

The only rechargeables I've had luck with on this light are high current IMR's from 4Sevens, Olight, AW and Exell.

Thank you for the report

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the K2 LFP batteries have just been put back on SureFire's website:

https://www.surefire.com/batteries/2-pack-lfp123-rechargeable-batteries.html

From an Amazon listing of the LFP (LiFePO4) cells:

K2 Energy LFP123A Rechargeable Li Ion 3.2V Battery Replaces CR123A Need more than one? We offer great discounts on quantity orders and FREE SHIPPING offers available. These batteries are made out of LFP chemistry. LFP is a safer lithium that doesn't have thermal stability problems. Recharge it thousands of times. Charge from 3.65 to 4.2 volts and discharged down to 1.0 volt. Average operating voltage is 3.2 volts. This battery is similar in size to a CR123A/16340. The battery weights 17 grams. Features: 600mA Rechargeable 2000+Cycles

SureFire acknowledges the higher voltage of these cells when freshly charged and says it may burn out incandescent filaments:

Rechargeable LFP 123A batteries are only to be used to power LED illumination products (built to use 123A lithium batteries) and NOT those featuring incandescent lamps. The initial elevated voltage of these rechargeable batteries, immediately after charging, may cause the filament contained within an incandescent lamp to break or "burn out."

I'm thinking these K2 LFP's will not put out enough current for the latest batch of SureFire handheld lights like the EDCL-2T and the EB1-MV. Has anyone found otherwise?

The Tenergy LFP's that I tried without success were maybe four years old and seemed to me to have a high failure rate in general from the dozen that I bought.

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking these K2 LFP's will not put out enough current for the latest batch of SureFire handheld lights like the EDCL-2T and the EB1-MV. Has anyone found otherwise?

K2's work great on E1-MV, EDCL-2T, EDCL-1T, E2T. I tried in a Minute ago. No flicker, no issue. I assume only the runtime will not be very song since the capacity is not that large of the LFP123 cells.

I only have one Tenergy cell, and this cells are not as far as good as the K2 LFPs. The EB1 does not work with Tenergy, the K2 cell works fine with the EB1. Do not remember if the EB1 is slightly flickering on high....!? The Tenergy, definately did not reach the high Level.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
K2's work great on E1-MV, EDCL-2T, EDCL-1T, E2T. I tried in a Minute ago. No flicker, no issue. I assume only the runtime will not be very song since the capacity is not that large of the LFP123 cells.

I only have one Tenergy cell, and this cells are not as far as good as the K2 LFPs. The EB1 does not work with Tenergy, the K2 cell works fine with the EB1. Do not remember if the EB1 is slightly flickering on high....!? The Tenergy, definately did not reach the high Level.

How long will the K2's run the EDCL-2T or E1B-MV on high? The protected RCR123A's I have (not LFP's or IMR's) trip the PTC in both lights after less than two minutes and have to be put in the charger before they work again.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

I read somewhere that they were still selling them if you called them. But this may no longer be the case.

Anyway, my K2 LiPo4's work just fine in my EDCL2-T.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read somewhere that they were still selling them if you called them. But this may no longer be the case.

Anyway, my K2 LiPo4's work just fine in my EDCL2-T.

I just tried the link in my post above again, it still works for the K2 batteries on the SureFire website.

Since the K2's can presumably charge up to as high as 4.2 volts and Surefire says the K2's can be used in their LED lights, I'm thinking recent SF LED's are OK voltagewise for most rechargeable RCR123A cells. The later versions of the EB1 and EB2 seem to work fine on RCR's, some early versions seem to blink due to the high voltage in my experience.

Again, will the K2's run the EDCL-2T on high for more than a couple of minutes?

Whatever the case, and whatever batteries you use, I think the EDCL-2T is a great light to have in your pocket. :thumbsup:

And yes, I'd love to see a clicky version.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the K2's can presumably charge up to as high as 4.2 volts and Surefire says the K2's can be used in their LED lights, I'm thinking recent SF LED's are OK voltagewise for most rechargeable RCR123A cells. The later versions of the EB1 and EB2 seem to work fine on RCR's, some early versions seem to blink due to the high voltage in my experience.

That's what I have seen as well, the E2DL Ultra (500 version) I have also run great on regular 3.7V RCR 123s and I only ran the set up after others here have tried it first(come to think of it, you may have been one of them) and of course, I can't prove it's 100% safe but I've used it for so many years now I think it's safe-ish :) . The early E1B I have from 10:)faint:) years ago will blink with even a freshly charged 3.2v LiFePo4 batteries which was a bit annoying but the voltage generally settled down quick enough so it was not a hardship.

Last edited:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again, will the K2's run the EDCL-2T on high for more than a couple of minutes?

This is what I found when I tested my EDCL2-T using K2 LPF cells. There was a drop off in brightness within the first minute or minute-and-a-half. It then leveled off at what I would estimate to be approximately 800 lumens and it held this brightness for the next 15 minutes. After that point brightness dropped off very quickly.

IsaacL

Enlightened
The charge cutoff for K2 LFP123A cells is 3.65V and they are 3.2V nominal. Compare that to RCR123A cells at 4.2V and 3.7V respectively. The parameters you refer to are maximum operating conditions and do not equate to Surefire endorsing the use of RCRs.

Obviously, people are free to put whatever they want into their lights, but they should be aware of the facts before making that choice. Not a dig, just throwing the info out there.

Since the K2's can presumably charge up to as high as 4.2 volts and Surefire says the K2's can be used in their LED lights, I'm thinking recent SF LED's are OK voltage wise for most rechargeable RCR123A cells. The later versions of the EB1 and EB2 seem to work fine on RCR's, some early versions seem to blink due to the high voltage in my experience.