Surefire EDCL1-T

coffeeandlifting

Newly Enlightened
I believe its the only one that surefire approves of. Specifically, the one they sell. But, Mine runs quite a bit better on non LiFePO4 RCR123As. No issues yet. The K2s drop off and die much more suddenly. Non-LiFePO4 RCRs seem to taper off to a lower and more usable level giving me a bit of a warning, which I prefer.

The runtime isn't amazing with 1x LiFePO4, but its plenty to get me through a shift at work and recharge. I really like the way this light is driven. I planned on using LiFePO4 mainly because I didn't believe that it would maintain regulated output with 1xCR123 at 500 lumens, but it does great with both cells. This was a pleasant surprise, because my 300 lumen SF mini-scout runs poorly on 1xcr123. It only stays in regulation with an LFP. With the cr123 it appears to drop out of regulation almost immediately, and will flicker faintly if you massage the tailcap as if the battery doesn't have enough forward voltage.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe its the only one that surefire approves of. Specifically, the one they sell. But, Mine runs quite a bit better on non LiFePO4 RCR123As. No issues yet. The K2s drop off and die much more suddenly. Non-LiFePO4 RCRs seem to taper off to a lower and more usable level giving me a bit of a warning, which I prefer.

Hey Lumen, may we know what brand of RCR you use?

I have a Fenix 16340 that performs great but I hesitate to use it in my EDCL1T.

If it doesn't kill the emitter/circuitry in the EDCL1T, I would expect around 40minutes of Max just like the E1D.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Hey Lumen, may we know what brand of RCR you use?

I have a Fenix 16340 that performs great but I hesitate to use it in my EDCL1T.

If it doesn't kill the emitter/circuitry in the EDCL1T, I would expect around 40minutes of Max just like the E1D.

It is an enegitech, I believe it's made by a company called Arlo.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just found that my EDCL1T will light up with a cell measuring 2.35volts.

It was a Sanyo CR123 dated 2021(expiry)(I have a dozen left of these that I want to use up) , and I knew it was nearly dead when it was borrowed to be used as a night light.
Light went on nearly 8 hours on low on that cell, and when I got home I measured it and got that reading. At that low voltage it will still go on high, but only about 50 lumens.

I really love the circuitry on this light.

coffeeandlifting

Newly Enlightened
+1 fan of the programming on this light. I was especially curious about the first ~2mins of regulation on this guy, which is the most important for me since I cycle power often with my typical use. Most of the runtime graphs posted so far are for the full runtime and therefore have poor resolution in the first two minutes. I wanted to see that step-down up close, so I fashioned a crude light-tube using a solar-cell from a yard light, and a volt-meter.

Important note: Y-axis units are arbitrary. This test was only to visualize the rate of the step-down itself, when it happens, and how flat the output is before and after. The magnitude of the step-down is not actually noticeable during regular use.

Some findings:
-The output is almost perfectly flat for the first minute. No nosedives on startup like some lights.
-Stepdown starts at 1 min and settles in to its "constant on" output by 1:20
-The light steps back up if power is cycled off and back on

psTtPwN.png

Last edited:

coffeeandlifting

Newly Enlightened
The head is standard E-series, but the tail is specific to the longer tailcaps of "backup" series (EB2 and EB1). A z68 for instance would not work.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info coffee & lifting.. I'm lookin forward to the gas pedal function!

Btw, B&H offers Mil/PD/Veterans discounts, need to inquire:twothumbs

coffeeandlifting

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info coffee & lifting.. I'm lookin forward to the gas pedal function!

Btw, B&H offers Mil/PD/Veterans discounts, need to inquire:twothumbs

Thanks! This is definitely my favorite edc light. I'd get another one if they came out with a tan version. The size, output/runtime, and beam pattern are all at a sweet spot IMO. I'm sure in the next few years they'll try to crank up the output even more to continue fighting the "lumen wars." But the battery life is going to start getting really short, especially with LiFePO4 cells which I'm a big fan of. There's no free lunch. I think 3-500 lumens is perfect for a 1xCR123 type light assuming it is driven well (as this one is).

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! This is definitely my favorite edc light. I'd get another one if they came out with a tan version. The size, output/runtime, and beam pattern are all at a sweet spot IMO. I'm sure in the next few years they'll try to crank up the output even more to continue fighting the "lumen wars." But the battery life is going to start getting really short, especially with LiFePO4 cells which I'm a big fan of. There's no free lunch. I think 3-500 lumens is perfect for a 1xCR123 type light assuming it is driven well (as this one is).

not just runtime but also the beam will get wider and wider, there is only so much surface brightness to gain before you just get broader beams as lumen figures climb.

Syndicate75

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone found a RCR123a that provides sufficient runtime and allows high and low mode? Just picked one of these lights up and been wanting to get a RCR123a...

thanks!

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone found a RCR123a that provides sufficient runtime and allows high and low mode? Just picked one of these lights up and been wanting to get a RCR123a...

thanks!

I use Hixon RCR123A protected. Purchased at Aliexpress (Hixon has a store there). No issues so far.

Syndicate75

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, any others? Does anyone know if the RCR123 with the built in charging ports will work?

Lumen83

Enlightened
Thanks, any others? Does anyone know if the RCR123 with the built in charging ports will work?

I've tried a handful of different RCR123s and they all seem to provide high and low mode and a run time of about a half hour on high.

Syndicate75

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys,

anyone use the RCR123's with the built in charging port? Like the Klarus one.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't but it is interesting to note that the regular newest Klarus and Fenix 700mAh cells have been actually tested to over 700mAh at 1Amp draw, and will probably provide closer to 40min on high mode on this light.

Syndicate75

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine in the mail, installed the Thyrm ring. Gonna be ordering the:

Olight ORB-163C05 IMR RCR123A/16340 550mAh 3.7V Protected High-Drain 2.75A Li-ion Button Top

Klarus UR70 16340 700mAh 3.7V Li-Ion Button Top w/ Micro USB charging port

Efest 3277 IMR 16340 700mAh 3.7V unprotected Lithium Manganese Button Top Battery

any thoughts on these batteries?

TIA
[h=1][/h]