Surefire L Series

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes...and also there is sometimes such a thing as too small.

I think that the Gen1/2/3 are just about ideal for this light, but opinions understandably vary.

Yes that L1 is my first gen Red I also have a 5th gen Green one

Nice :)

Are the gen 2 and 3 the same size as the gen 1 or smaller?

Yes, Gen1-3 should be very close in size ... Gen2/3 essentially differ only in their emitter IIRC. Gen1 had a different emitter/driver, and a smooth bezel, but otherwise was also the same.

Eisenhower

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty familiar with most of the Surefire lines. I am a little lost when it comes to the L series though. Can someone explain what the differences are between some of them and how they differ and or interchange with the E and A series lights. Are the bodies bigger than the E series? I'm getting interested in the older 4 flats versions of the E series and like the looks of the L4, but don't know anything about them.

Is that L series have some mode of LED?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
AZ2XY, whatever...LOL! But yes, the AZ2 is probably THE Perfect surefire. Flood/throw in a combat-grip body? I'll take two please :0) They took the best of The L-series and put it in a combat grip body...It's like an L2/LX2/C2-BK-HA had a baby...LOL!

I agree with all of this, except the part where I can afford two. Or one. ^_^
That said, I'd like to see them update it with the same 500-lumen LED and driver as the Fury, without enlarging the head. And even if they don't increase the brightness, under-driving LEDs is great for their efficiency and longevity, as well as the IR signature of the device, I suppose.

fabienne

Enlightened
:grin2:
IMG_6136.jpg

I was curious at that time about the compatibility of L1 and at that time mix that with E2C adapter, Z44, Malkoff M61. I forgot the result at that time.

jimbo@stn23

Newly Enlightened
Just a little OT,
has anyone ever run the KL5 head on 2 18490 cells. I've been trying to make a bored 9P from Oveready work with P90 lamps and have been very underwhelmed as to output. Had an old KL5 head loose and was wondering if anyone else has tried the combo with any luck.

So far, no smoke, just wondering how tolerant the head is to ~7.4 volts.

Just coming back after more research, appears as it isn't a bad idea.

Thanks all the same though.

Last edited:

robert.o

Newly Enlightened
sorry to hijack this thread.. but.. is the L1 body the same length as the E1E body? .. i have some E2E parts that i'd like to use to make a E1E lego

jimbo@stn23

Newly Enlightened
sorry to hijack this thread.. but.. is the L1 body the same length as the E1E body? .. i have some E2E parts that i'd like to use to make a E1E lego

Sorry Robert, not even really close. Just measuring my E1E/L1 and I get roughly 1" difference just for battery tube length and the E1E body is around 1.75" long. You load the executive from bezel end and the L1 from tailcap end. My L1 example is from when Surefire first went to 3 flats on it.

The E1E is puny enough that I kinda like it with a Z68 tailcap to provide a "swell" at the tailcap and some extra length.