Surefire L1 still relevant?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good evening

Is a new, unused L1 5th gen and a new, unused L1 6th gen worth something to a collector when they are still in their original packing?

Kind regards,
Hp

As a rule of thumb, any older SF that is in mint condition or NIB will sell here.

pulstar

Enlightened
Wow, so over 300 lumens with a 4.2 volt cell? Nice.

I understand you used a XPG2 on a board, what diameter board did you use?
Any idea on lumen output in low and high with primaries?

Hi Robert,

a few moments ago i compared my freshly modded L1 to UB3T (800 lumen version). Powered by primary battery, low output is around 15 lumens. But high level really suprised me! It is noticeably brighter than 80 lumen level on my UB3T and only slightly dimmer than next, 160 lumen level. But that might be just a difference in beam patterns since modded L1 has brighter spill. It's somwhere in the middle, probably 120-140 lumens on high. Not to bad for a single CR123 light. And given the tailcap current reading(650mA on high), ~2 hour runtime on high is also nothing to be ashamed of! So far I am very pleased with the results. And two-way tactical switch... man, what a pleasure!:twothumbs

pulstar

Enlightened
Hi guys,

just one question: Which rechargeable batteries fit in your 6th gen. L1 and if they even work? I tried Keepower 16430 and EagTac 16430 and while I am able to just barely squeeze them in, non of them work since the hight of positive contact seems to be to small. I added a blob of solder on it but i think it is starting to oxidize or something like that (solder changed it's color to dark grey). I know that AW 16430 works like a charm, but lately it is really hard to find it here in EU...

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried my aw16340 in my gen 6 body and it works, and fits fine. It does not fit in my older 4-flats body though.
I've read of another member frying his L1 driver, possibly because he/she was using a li-ion in it for months.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard about that frm Kestrel once too, but after using mine over a year, with an IMR 16340, sometimes on high til cell depletion, I've grown comfortable with it. Still crossing my fingers though.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I heard about that frm Kestrel once too, but after using mine over a year, with an IMR 16340, sometimes on high til cell depletion, I've grown comfortable with it. Still crossing my fingers though.
I have been interested in using an IMR123 in my L1's for years but yes there has been at least one (maybe just one?) report of that happening, which was enough for me as I wouldn't want to have to replace even one of my precious L1's.

Definitely appreciate the new correspondence in this thread tho. :)

sgt253

Enlightened
+1. Im nervous about trying it for any real length of time. I experimented once, albeit nervously.
Really enjoying my new "stock" 6th Gen.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone try one of the new XPL-HI LEDs in the L1? I was thinking if by any chance this LED becomes a good match for the optic, we can achieve considerable brightness gains with just an emitter swap.
That may be enough of a jump in output for those wishing for it, without going to lithium ion voltage and safer for the driver for those with concerns about the higher input voltage.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Most interested in any reports of this combo; iirc the regular xpl has the same viewing angle as the perfectly-matched xml - which is my favorite large edc setup/config. But I'm not familiar with any of the more modern emitters.

pulstar

Enlightened
I highly recommend XP-G2! It's a lot better than XM-L, at least for me. Punchy hotspot, with brighter spill... A lot better than XR-E. I'll try to make some beamshots, but i don't promise anything :)

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Kestrel.
Yes, I remembered someone said that the XML is a very good match for the TIR, but has a wide phosphor so the hotspot gets bigger, although brightness increases.
So, XPL-HI equals even more brightness, plus no dome so apparently narrower viewing angle, so more intense hotspot?
Heck this may be what my LX2 and L1 have been waiting for.
Shame I can't find 16mm boards with this LED.
Not hat my shabby modding skills are up to the task though, lol. :)

I currently have a Sportac in my C2 with XPL-HI LED claiming 890 lumens, BTW. 22K Lux is awesome for a P60 dropin. I have such high hopes for these LEDs in my favorite SF lights.
I think even the EB1 could use this.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP-L HI will have a smaller and more intense hotspot along with more lumens over XM-L. I haven't tried with my L1 yet, so i can't comment on if it focuses well with the L1.

recDNA

Flashaholic
You are getting me interested in L1's again. I know where I can score one so if anybody tries XP-L HI please let me know how you do! White wall shot would be spectacular especially if you can do stock vs xplhi

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup i believe this to be the long awaited emitter update to the stock L1 optic, able to get very decent upgrade on output with a primary yet can be a screamer on high with a 4.2V cell.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still happily using my Gen6 in factory form, but I'm interested on what you guys come up with on the XP-L.