Surefire L1 still relevant?

Filip

Newly Enlightened
An hour ago I received a new L1 (6th generation). I paid local SF dealer $50. It's much smaller and more beautiful than I expected, the tint is perfectly white. Oh, and it makes a great looking couple together with A2 when lying on the desk ;-).

Up All Night

Enlightened
An hour ago I received a new L1 (6th generation). I paid local SF dealer $50. It's much smaller and more beautiful than I expected, the tint is perfectly white. Oh, and it makes a great looking couple together with A2 when lying on the desk ;-).

NEW 6th gen L1, perfectly white tint, $50!:eek: I'm assuming that is US dollars. Nice score!:thumbsup: If I could find that deal I'd buy two!......Or more!

Pöbel

Enlightened
Although I stopped EDCing my L1 because it's a tad too long, I still love and admire this light. Have the emitter switched to neutral XP-E. Although consuming little power on high it still packs sufficient punch to rival with much higher lumen lights. The grip of the knurling ist just stunning. And the UI... well, no better UI for a 2 level light out there.

Bogie

Enlightened

I would have JUMPED on that, probably bought 2 especially since I don't own a white one.

r_x

Newly Enlightened
Although not bright by today's standards, the L1 is still relevant to me. I have been carrying my 6th gen L1 quite a bit lately with a P7 suspension clip on the lanyard attachment ring.

Recently I noticed that if I hit the low momentary, release and press again in less than 1 second I will have a second low mode at less than half the regular low mode. When it is in this lower low, I can twist the tailcap to leave it on in this mode. I find the regular low to be quite bright for navigating around the house at night, but the lower low seems perfect. Has anyone else experienced this with their L1s?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just dug out my SureFire Digital L1 light. It was my first SureFire and when I bought it was was considered *bright.* Ha! It is a two-state low/high UI with typical SF twisty. I've been sneaking around the house for days now wondering why I first put it away! By today's standards is is not bright, but it is bright enough and has a long runtime. Love my L1!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which Gen L1 can fit a 17670 after boring?

Cheers
Matt

the pic that kestral posted looks like a 5th gen body. 1st to 5th gen bodies are the same length, the difference is that 1st to 4th gen have 4-flat sides.
the 6th gen body is the latest models, and those are about 25% shorter.

i finally picked up an E1L recently, and EDCed it for the past week. so far, the L1 is still my ideal UI for edc. :thumbsup:

MattSPL

Enlightened
the pic that kestral posted looks like a 5th gen body. 1st to 5th gen bodies are the same length, the difference is that 1st to 4th gen have 4-flat sides.
the 6th gen body is the latest models, and those are about 25% shorter.

i finally picked up an E1L recently, and EDCed it for the past week. so far, the L1 is still my ideal UI for edc. :thumbsup:

Ok, thanks for the info :thumbsup:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just dug out my SureFire Digital L1 light. It was my first SureFire and when I bought it was was considered *bright.* Ha! It is a two-state low/high UI with typical SF twisty. I've been sneaking around the house for days now wondering why I first put it away! By today's standards is is not bright, but it is bright enough and has a long runtime. Love my L1!

nice! is it any certain color or is it white?

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although not bright by today's standards, the L1 is still relevant to me. I have been carrying my 6th gen L1 quite a bit lately with a P7 suspension clip on the lanyard attachment ring.

Recently I noticed that if I hit the low momentary, release and press again in less than 1 second I will have a second low mode at less than half the regular low mode. When it is in this lower low, I can twist the tailcap to leave it on in this mode. I find the regular low to be quite bright for navigating around the house at night, but the lower low seems perfect. Has anyone else experienced this with their L1s?

Really???

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really???
Yes it's real. Been trying with my L1 after reading r_x's post and I could occasionally achieve a lower low of about half of what the original low is giving, but it is too troublesome and too unpredictable for me to even bother with it.

Dan FO

Enlightened
Isn't the new EB1 200 lumen with the tactical switch about the same thing as an L1?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to try it again. could not get it to work.
You have to look carefully. You won't notice a drastic difference actually. Sometimes it's only a tad less bright but occasionally it's about half the brightness. That's why I said it is too troublesome to even bother trying.

manoloco

Enlightened
If you can name another light with that amount of output, with the intuitive convulsive interface able to get to high mode under stress without looking at the light, the option of a lower-output setting, with the solid Surefire build quality and product support, handy enough to keep with you 24/7, I'd love to hear about it.

Peak Logan generation 2 QTC with momentary switch, the 17500 body accepts AA, AAA, and any chemistry/voltage variation in those sizes, also available on 123 body size. Around 300 Lumens in high

Even more portable with the same characteristics Peak Eiger second gen QTC AAA also with momentary switch, but for tactical purposes, it might be too small, this is the light that is always with me, this light on Li-ion is 225 Lumens (which is great for a bombproof AAA).

I have a couple of Surefire L1 and i love it, but its bigger than the other 2 lights, and the tailcap while great, after too much work looses contacts inside on the PCB, there are 3 contacts soldered to the PCB, after a lot of use they start to break, The great Surefire guarantee replaces it quickly, but after it being discontinued i dont know how that will go, around 3-4 years ago they sent me a replacement and it was great, then a couple of years ago the other L1 had the same problem and i asked for a replacement, they responded me, and halfway through the communications i lost them, no reply yet, dont know what happened, will send another mail to see if they respond, also the rubber cap of the momentary button deteriorates faster because it endures a lot more pressure than a clicky.

Peaks are bombproof, i dare to say they are even more resilient than the Surefires i have, the only drawback is that the QTC can be a little less precise after a lot of use but i have found a couple of fixes that solve the problem and its better to have something that will still work good after a lot of use (you loose precision in levels between low and high, but high will always be there and the light will never fail to turn on), and its definitely better than having to wait for a replacement part.

But if you put both Surefire and Peak quality to compare with other lights they are both on the top tier of production lights.

One GOOD advice: buy through Oveready, they have the BEST service and post sale service i have ever had.

r_x

Newly Enlightened
You have to look carefully. You won't notice a drastic difference actually. Sometimes it's only a tad less bright but occasionally it's about half the brightness. That's why I said it is too troublesome to even bother trying.

I can get the lower low about 9 times out of 10 and the output looks to be about the same every time. I took some shots of the difference in my lows. Both shots are ISO400 F3.0 1/10.

L1_1_res.jpg

L1_2_res.jpg

manoloco

Enlightened
I can get the lower low about 9 times out of 10 and the output looks to be about the same every time. I took some shots of the difference in my lows. Both shots are ISO400 F3.0 1/10.

Thanks for the info, after reading about this i tried it on my L1 and works perfectly, like r_x wrote, the result is very steady, and i can get it without failing, but making it constant by twisting is uncomfortable to do, in a relaxed situation the twist lowest is very doable too.

interesting find!