Surefire Lego?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Justin Case,
I have a secret build identical to yours, but with 3 "D" li-on cells in the works. It will be a KT-4 bezel instead. I hope to have it together in 3 weeks.:whistle:

bigchelis

I wouldn't expect a huge throw from this setup. The best I can get for hot spot lux is about 7400 lux at 1 meter using an SRTH. With a KT4, I get about 6500 lux using the same tower (2S2P K-bin MC-E driven by an SOB1000 at 500mA per core). In comparison, I get about 14,000 lux at 1 meter for a tower with an SSC P4 U2SWOH-bin driven by an SOB1000.

soup_monger

Newly Enlightened
Here is my updated collection of Surefire's.

The M2 has gone to a good home.

IMG_5069.jpg

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I probably wont have to take a picture as mine isn't very complex like the rest.

I've got a Single-Mode E2DL and an E1B.

I swapped tail caps so the E1B wasn't as easy to turn on (EDC, don't want it on in my pocket) and the E2DL was easier to turn on under stress as it can be used as a backup tactical light.

About as interesting as my lego is :(

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
I probably wont have to take a picture as mine isn't very complex like the rest.

I've got a Single-Mode E2DL and an E1B.

I swapped tail caps so the E1B wasn't as easy to turn on (EDC, don't want it on in my pocket) and the E2DL was easier to turn on under stress as it can be used as a backup tactical light.

About as interesting as my lego is :(

I love the E1B with my E2Ds tailcap also. Increases grip, protects the button from being turned on in pocket, and just plain looks cool.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the E1B with my E2Ds tailcap also. Increases grip, protects the button from being turned on in pocket, and just plain looks cool.

+1

Once I got passed the VERY slight color difference and the fact that the tailcap is the only part with knurling, I was very pleased.

My E2DL works as a backup duty light if need be, so the more tactical tailcap is a plus.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a 2C FiveMega body and moved the KT1/MC-E/GD1000 to that body. The overall length is shorter than a 2C Maglite. For the 3C FM body, I attached a 6P anti-roll bezel (Pyrex window) and a modified DX11836 P60 drop-in. I removed the stock driver from the DX11836 and replaced it with a 3xAMC7135 single mode driver. When driven by 3xC Accupower NiMH cells, I measured 1.05A current draw at the tail. For the MC-E tower on the 2C FM body, it is now running in boost mode and has the same output it did in buck mode on the 3C body.

2Cand3CFMbodies2CMag.jpg

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, somebody actually got the one on the right to work in the Homemade & Modified forum. It is a two-piece Solarforce L2 body.
Also from the "This doesn't quite work" department:
3423265298_097202a5b6.jpg

On the right next to an E1L for size comparison: Mini "Zero-P" with KL3 - battery not yet made to fit it. Unless a few CR2032's will work.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah, those TLS heads kick @$$!

I've got a couple of the E2 versions. Nice combo of flood & throw.

I thought about getting a Surefire 3P clone. Clone as in, z41 tailcap and 6P bezel along with either a Solarforce, or FM custom body. But since money is a bit tight, I think I'll just get an E1 TLS head and use that on my E1E.

Edit:

Who am I kidding. I'll likely get the 3P clone soon too.

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, those TLS heads kick @$$!

I've got a couple of the E2 versions. Nice combo of flood & throw.

I thought about getting a Surefire 3P clone. Clone as in, z41 tailcap and 6P bezel along with either a Solarforce, or FM custom body. But since money is a bit tight, I think I'll just get an E1 TLS head and use that on my E1E.

Monocrom.. have you thought about checking these out... I think there's a good chance the heads on these may be about the same if not the same as the TLS heads that sell for $80 here. Might well be worth the twenty some odd dollars to find out... they are made by TLS!

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=7339

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=7337

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the links, DHart. But that site has gotten one too many Jeers over at the MarketPlace. Honestly, it's gotten so bad, I'd rather pay the extra over at Optics HQ. Also, something about that deal that just seems too good to be true.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the links, DHart. But that site has gotten one too many Jeers over at the MarketPlace. Honestly, it's gotten so bad, I'd rather pay the extra over at Optics HQ. Also, something about that deal that just seems too good to be true.

I'd have to say that I haven't brought myself to buy anything from Kai myself... I'm leery of them also... though I have had a number of excellent purchases with DX. I still think there's a decent chance of getting a great head for a very low price, if one is willing to skate out closer to the thin ice. :eek:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'd have to say that I haven't brought myself to buy anything from Kai myself... I'm leery of them also... though I have had a number of excellent purchases with DX. I still think there's a decent chance of getting a great head for a very low price, if one is willing to skate out closer to the thin ice. :eek:

A very good point. However, for personal reasons, I'll play in the house located down the street from the frozen lake. :)

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good find DHart,

I will be the guinea pig and order one. Compared to the TLS price, this is one heck of a deal.

Monocrom.. have you thought about checking these out... I think there's a good chance the heads on these may be about the same if not the same as the TLS heads that sell for $80 here. Might well be worth the twenty some odd dollars to find out... they are made by TLS!

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=7339

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=7337