Surefire M6 SMO/LOP reflector to increase THROW

jellydonut

Enlightened
This has made me want to assemble a fun M6 build.

Mettee - I'm down for either one or two reflectors depending on the price, plus one of the neat bezel keys.:takeit:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
A picture is worth a thousand words:party:

Wow, it looks like the beam not only throws more but sends a way more narrow beam down-range.

Congrats,
bigC

Mettee

Enlightened
Thanks guys, cant take all the credit as there are other parties involved. I have used many types of reflectors. But the first time I saw these at work, I wondered why they were not in the CPF eye, and thought they needed to be NOW. So I pushed for them ;)

Big C, you are right the beam does have AWESOME control. BUT, its not so stinkin tight that it cant light up the entire object. Other throwy reflectors I have dont even compare. It also still works very well for up close under your feet with the spill it produces. Its real world usable.

I have tested to distances of well over 200 yards, as you have seen it does the job. Myself and another member have done this testing together, aside from the first shots I took next to the canal. The farthest we have both seen was at Freestone park here in Gilbert AZ, and it was well over 200 yards and performing well. I wish I could bring you all out and show you :)

Thanks again for the kind words

Last edited:

Mettee

Enlightened
Some of the lower power bulbs

LowpowerbulbsGIF.gif

Order:

Control
EO-M3T SMO
EO-M3T STK
MN21 SMO
MN21 STK
MN20 SMO I think it was on MED setting :(
MN20 STK

Mettee

Enlightened
Any ballpark price?

Looking like $65 for the reflector

Bezel tool is going to be $17-18

Still working on the silicon, there is a minimum order and I am guessing I would need about 20 people who wanted it for sure before I could order...and that is going to be about $4-5 add.

I kinda feel like some explanation' is due for the reflector. The reflector is two parts, and they consist of a CNC machined "mount" and the actual "electroformed reflector". Then the two are then bonded. This allows the best possible fit and performance, while retaining durability. Its a little more costly, but performance is top notch as you can see.

The bezel tool will be made from Acetron, fiber reinforced Delrin. The material itself has qualities that make it perfect for this use. It is strong enough to remove the bezel while not deforming and ruining the tool, and safe enough not to damage the HA finish.

As far as the silicon I feel its important, some may not for whatever reason. Foam doesnt last forever, the silicon should unless you melt it some how with 600 degree plus heat :). I figure for $5 bucks its a no brainer and it adds to the durability of the M6 while running 1909, WA 1185, etc.

Last edited:

Mettee

Enlightened
Is silicon a requirement for the new reflector, or can it still be used with the old foam?

NOT a requirement. But I suggest it, the more people that want it the cheaper it will be. I am just trying to be able to make it an option, not trying to make it into a money maker.

If you use after market hotter bulbs, I am going to make an educated AZ heat guess and say your foam will go bad. If you are opening the head, its a good time to replace it. If you just use your M6 as more of a toy or collectible you may be fine.

Last edited:

UnderTheWeepingMoon

Enlightened
NOT a requirement. But I suggest it, the more people that want it the cheaper it will be. I am just trying to be able to make it an option, not trying to make it into a money maker.

I'm sorry if my post gave the suggestion of the silicon being a money maker. That wasn't my intention and I think that $5 sounds fair given the work you've done in sourcing, testing and fitting the silicon. I was simply wondering about the compatibility of the new reflector with the existing foam and trying to picture how everything would fit together.

I'm currently using a Lumens Factory HO-M3T powered by a PhD-M6 and am not planning to step up to an 1185 or FM1909, so the silicon might be a little overkill for my needs.

Mettee

Enlightened
Dont worry about it at all buddy, I was also trying to make sure I came across in a way that didnt seem like I was trying to force something on everyone :grin2:

My only thinking is that the foam will fail, to replace it while you are in the head with a superior material you never have to worry about. If it does fail and you have to take it back apart to replace it, then you run the risk of hitting or damaging the reflector...that would not be good.

Kinda like replacing the water pump at the same time you do a timing belt, $60 now, can save you from having to do another $300 plus job. I would not consider the silicon overkill, just preventative to any future problems and piece of mind.

I just cooked my M6, two full battery cycles through it straight no stop, I was worried about the batteries being too hot....:poof: Reflector, still going strong!

jellydonut

Enlightened
I'll be in for two reflectors, one bezel tool and four pieces of the silicon so I have spares for future KT4 purchases etc.

Mettee

Enlightened
Working out the last few details and improvements, should have some ready for you all shortly. :rock:

Mettee

Enlightened
Those of you that have posted interest in these want to be on a list for the first batch? Or do you want it first come first served?

If you have interest and you want to be in on the first batch please let me know, I will either keep track here or in private.

drew