Surefire Maximus, Minimus AA, Minimus Tactical and Minimus Vision!

brosna

Newly Enlightened
Hi All, I have one of the minimus A123 headlights. Great light but have found the on/off knob to be a little soft in the off position.
The light has come on in my pack twice now and burned out the battery glad i didn't have the aux pack wired up would have lost
several A123.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
For being the ultimate flashlight manufacturer Surefire Sure gets some bad reviews!

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
If and when I have the funds to get a Surefire headlamp, it will be the Maximus running 2xAA. Don't care for forward battery packs, and the Minimus AA looks crammed and cumbersome.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
If and when I have the funds to get a Surefire headlamp, it will be the Maximus running 2xAA. Don't care for forward battery packs, and the Minimus AA looks crammed and cumbersome.
Having been so used to Zebralights, the Minimus Vision does feel heavy on my forehead. I can't help feeling the skin on my forehead being pushed down to my eyebrows. Good way to add more wrinkles on a guy reaching 40.

mbw_151

Enlightened
Anybody have information or an estimate of the color temperature of the Minimus Vision, is it 3000K or 4000K?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody have information or an estimate of the color temperature of the Minimus Vision, is it 3000K or 4000K?
Not sure but I think somewhere in the 4000k range. It seems to exhibit a mix of rosy orange and blue, more like the tint of the SSC P4 high CRI.

mbw_151

Enlightened
Does it appear warme, cooler, or about the same as a stock HDS High CRI? If it is about the same, my wallet is about to loose weight.

mbw_151

Enlightened
So, I bought a Vision. The color rendition is very nice. The color temp is a little higher than my HDS High CRI, about like my Malkoff M61WLL which I really like. The only thing that suprised me is the increased bulk and weight over my first generation Minimus. I expected the changes to the knurling and the new battery cap but I must have missed the part about the length, diameter and weight increases. The larger diameter knob is easier to grip. The length increase doesn't increase the twisting torque noticibly. My big concern is the weight. My really cheap kitchen scale says the the first generation Minimus was 3-1/2 ounces and the Vision is 4-1/2 ounces. That's a big increase to support on just a headstrap. I'm going to use the Vision as much as I can this weekend and try and figure out if it's OK or if it needs a top strap.

Last edited:

mbw_151

Enlightened
My mistake on the word "warmer" which I have corrected to "higher", the color does looks "cooler" than my HDS High CRI, my guess is it's in the 4200-4500K range. It is just a touch cooler looking than my HDS B42 with and SSC P4 High CRI 4000K. I think this is the same as you described.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
I have a SureFire Saint, and aside from the beam quality (can see the diode, and theres about 4 or 5 different 'things' happening in the beam when shined at a wall) its a nice light. The ability to use 1-3 CR123 cells or 2 AA cells is sweet. I use it most in Minimus form, and have been night-snorkling while wearing it. Works a charm underwater at 10ft.

Not sure about the newer models, however I wish they'd take a note out of ZLs book and clean up the beam. Even in normal use (not white wall use) its easy to notice the crazy beam. I suppose if I didn't have a nice clean beam like my H501 I wouldn't care.

They could start by enlarging the 'hood' surrounding the lens so that 'prismic refraction' doesn't leak out.

Don't get me wrong, its not a game changer, its just one of those "Hmm ..." things a flashaholic would think whenever using the Saint or Minimus.

SikDMAX

Newly Enlightened
It appears the Maximus' are for sale!!! Boy.... I really want one....

Anyone have one yet?

Apologies for the link :(

Last edited:

arcel1t

Newly Enlightened
So, I bought a Vision. The color rendition is very nice. The color temp is a little higher than my HDS High CRI, about like my Malkoff M61WLL which I really like. The only thing that suprised me is the increased bulk and weight over my first generation Minimus. I expected the changes to the knurling and the new battery cap but I must have missed the part about the length, diameter and weight increases. The larger diameter knob is easier to grip. The length increase doesn't increase the twisting torque noticibly. My big concern is the weight. My really cheap kitchen scale says the the first generation Minimus was 3-1/2 ounces and the Vision is 4-1/2 ounces. That's a big increase to support on just a headstrap. I'm going to use the Vision as much as I can this weekend and try and figure out if it's OK or if it needs a top strap.

Do you have any update to add on the vision?
Was it ok to run with?
a short running review with the minimus vision would be much appriciated

Regards
Arcel1t

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Just checked the Surefire Web sight. The Maximus is listed at $265. WOW. 5.1 OZ.
That's $52 an ounce. for that price you could get 4 ZL's. I think it looks pretty cool and would like to check it out, but at that price could it really replace my Sparks?

wheel

Newly Enlightened
Just checked the Surefire Web sight. The Maximus is listed at $265. WOW. 5.1 OZ.
That's $52 an ounce. for that price you could get 4 ZL's. I think it looks pretty cool and would like to check it out, but at that price could it really replace my Sparks?

$235@BG, but still. I had the Saint but only kept it a short time because it is a two handed light. Everytime I attempted to adjust the brightness with the right hand, the tube rotated, requiring holding the tube with the left hand. I would consider the Maximus because of the warranty and durability, but would have to read a good many reviews first.