Surefire Maximus, Minimus AA, Minimus Tactical and Minimus Vision!

mntnrnnr

Newly Enlightened
Each of us is different but the fact is if we look for imperfections in something we will usually find them. There is no denying that the artifacts you describe seem to be prevalent in the majority of Surefire's headlamps. However, just like you can't train yourself to ignore them an equal number of people can condition themselves to ignore what you find an irritation. The saddest part is that 'if' the artifacts weren't there the Surefire range of headlamps would be some of the best available on the market. As it stands they have been left to stagnate and the issues of beam artifacts ignored so that the headlamps have become something of a niche market for Surefire which is a real shame.

Good points. I agree. It's disappointing that they obviously put a huge amount of effort and attention into the build quality, engineering, user interface and functionality and they got SO close to a STELLAR product, but still these issues exist (and continue to exist) on a high-end product put out by a company that prides itself on its premium, high-quality products.

bigfoot

Enlightened
I find headlamps really useful around the house:
1) Midnight snacking - great for avoiding waking up the house and still gives you two free hands - one for the plate, one for the glass.

Sounds like the best use ever! Might have to borrow that idea. :D

dougie

Enlightened
I saw that Outdoor Gear Lab did a comparison and ratings on a bunch of headlamps including the Minimus. They rated the Minimus pretty low. Here is the link;

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Headlamp-Reviews

Having read the article I note that the two main complaints were battery life and low output when compared to the opposition. Given that the Minimus has been out for quite some time (without revisions) and was pitched at some far more modern products in the comparison it's not surprising that it scored badly for the above two points. However, as a critic pointed out the durability of the Surefire product when compared to the competition wasn't mentioned or tested. If a headlamp can't take an acceptable amount of environmental and physical abuse then to my mind it's worthless. Surefire products are designed to work in environments and to survive abuse that other lights can't. Regrettably, output and performance aren't necessarily worth a dime if you end up with a dead weight on your head instead of a functioning light. As I stated in an earlier post Surefire headlamps are a neglected product line that could, AND should, be so much better than they are. 'If', only Surefire deemed the demand for their products to be worth investing more time and energy on they could blow most of the opposition out of the water. As it stands I believe that Surefire is unlikely to keep making something which is now probably selling in even more limited numbers than when they were first introduced!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
This weekend I used my Minimus Vision while working in my attic. Love the flood of this light - excellent for seeing everything in your field of view at the same time. Kep me from hitting my head on a couple of rafters while up there since it lights up my peripheral.

nja4k

Newly Enlightened
I carry the minus vision in my edc bag and use it all the time for work. ( TV/film productions)

Since I got used to using just as much light as necessary. It has lasted me quite a while.

A boost mode for high and longer run times would be welcoming and I would buy it.

But I found the vision 10 times better then the cool minimus versions.

JBA

Newly Enlightened
So I picked up a Minimus a couple of weeks ago and cannot figure out why my Tenergy rechargeable 123's won't fit. Any ideas on this? They work fine in my Surefire U2 and E1B.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I love the user interface... but line the article I also an hoping for one just like it with more throw and battery life.
I'm happy to have a heavier one...

I'm thinking 18650 version with dedomed XPG2 in a slightly larger reflector and flip down diffuser like the petzl has would be perfect...

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I picked up a Minimus a couple of weeks ago and cannot figure out why my Tenergy rechargeable 123's won't fit. Any ideas on this? They work fine in my Surefire U2 and E1B.

Are you sure you're inserting the battery with the terminals oriented correctly? Is it too long, or too big around?

JBA

Newly Enlightened
Are you sure you're inserting the battery with the terminals oriented correctly? Is it too long, or too big around?

I'm very sure I'm inserting the batteries with the correct orientation as I have no problems inserting regular Surefire batteries (as well as non-rechargeable 123's).
Into it. Any other ideas? I'll take some pictures in the next day so.

JBA

Newly Enlightened
Just thought I would update the problem I was having. Unfortunately I finally figured it out after I had sold my Minimus and was packing it up to be shipped. So I had a pair of Tenergy 30200 LiFePO4 RCR123A 3.0V that my cousin gave me laying around. I popped one of them in the Minimus and it fit and powered up just fine. I tried one of my old Tenergy 30201 RCR123A 3.0V (3.2V) and it still would not fit. I'm guessing the difference in capacity also made one slightly bigger than the other causing my problem. I'm really regretting not having a chance to play around with the Minimus more and may just pick up another one now that I know what the problem is. Any thoughts on this??

benddg

Newly Enlightened
I joined this forum so that I might post this question. I have a maximus and really enjoy it. I use it to navigate my boat duck hunting in flooded timber in Ar. I think I have a problem with my battery. When running my boat it illuminates all of the inside of the boat and helps navigate through the trees. I only get about 20 to maybe 30 mins run time. I think it overheats in that time. Even in the coldest of weather, I'm talking single digits it will run about 15 to 20 minutes and shut off. After a cool down period it will run again but usually not long. I don't think mine will come close to the advertised one hour run time on high. The main problem mine has is it will not hold a charge over a couple days if left off the charger. I use my light nearly daily. To use it I must leave it on the charger at all times. If left off the charger it will be dead in short order. I think I will contact Surefire about this but just wanted to know if all of them are like this. If left off charger does it go dead? I bought this light when they first came on the market. Maybe they needed to work a few kinks out.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds to me like you got a bad battery pack in that light. Try calling Surefire, explain the issue, and they will most likely make it right.

Welcome to the forum!

:welcome:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The Minimus Vision has been percolating to the top of my 'buy' list for a while now, and the final straw was my backup headlamp (Petzl Zipka) finally going south on my most recent camping trip.

A good thread here, w/ good info. Thanks to all the contributors, very helpful for those of us still on the fence.

Wild guess here, but it sounds like the Minimus may have the exact same driver as the T1A. What makes this more interesting is that there is substantial evidence indicating a buck/boost driver in the SF T1A, drawing ~30% less mA from a 3.7V LiIon compared to a 2.5V CR123. Some folks who have solved fitment & electrical connectivity issues have been using LiIons in their T1A's IIRC.

... and I do know an IMR123 will fit into tighter spots compared to protected LiCo RCR123's ... :huh:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mostly use my Minimus for hiking, throw it in the bag just incase I get stuck on the trail longer then I expected. While I don't dislike it I wish they would upgrade it a bit, it would make the light that much more appealing. A simple battery lock out and better beam profile would be greatly appreciated. With that said it's good for camping and backpacking. It's a little bulky/heavy compared to the more common headlamps and a spotter it's not....but it's still good.

nja4k

Newly Enlightened
Battery lock out and a slight tweak for a bit longer runtime would be great.

I go through the headband in about a year.

After sewing the padding on it lasts longer.

pedey

Newly Enlightened
I am considering buying the maximus but was wondering if anybody who has used one for a while could answer some questions for me. I work for one of the railroads and in a given 12 hour shift, I typically end end up walking trains for 4-6 hours (need to be able to see objects up to 50 feet away) and shove cars for about 2 hours (need to be able to see rails and switches at about 150 - 200 feet away). If I ran the maximus during the shoves in the 200 - 300 lumen range. Would I have enough battery to make it through the shift?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Well, last night I rec'd my new Minimus Vision. What an outstanding headlamp. :)

I had some reservations due to the mixed reviews but I finally decided that it was the closest to what I was looking for.
After some 'around the house' testing I would say that this light is nearly perfect for what I want in a headlamp.

Some of the aspects reported on that I was concerned with but all the details worked out:
  • Rotary dial 'clicks' to off, tactile and auditory
  • No distracting 'bright nose'
  • The output dial rotates easier than the up-down angle adjustment - so changing the output keeps the beam directed to where I want it. :)

Overall, I'm extremely happy. I was hoping for ~5000K, my example looks closer to 4000K but that's still OK. I admit that I've gotten pretty picky about tints since getting into 5000's.

Last edited: