SureFire P1R Peacekeeper rechargeable flashlight

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one thing that has the biggest effect in my test is simply how well heat can move away from the light. It's not as if I have a fan on it (unless stated otherwise), in fact it's kind of situated between my PC tower and monitor which are both sources of some heat. If the bezel is tightly confined by the testing rig, it won't be able to shed heat as effectively as it will in actual use.
I have the light resting on a plastic holder, so it's only touching the light at two points. It could just be normal tolerances, as thermoprobes aren't all that accurate (and technically, the FL1 Standard requires a sample size of three lights for testing).

radiopej

Enlightened
It's a little odd that they call it a rechargeable light. It's nice and about time they used 18650s, but if you have to take out the battery to charge it, isn't pretty much every light rechargeable? I thought it would've had it integrated like the Lawman.

From what I'm seeing, they've bored out the P2X Fury and bumped the current a bit. I see it more as a a good upgrade for the P2X line than a whole product line of itself. Unless I missed something, of course.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good job Robin :thumbsup:

It's a little odd that they call it a rechargeable light. It's nice and about time they used 18650s, but if you have to take out the battery to charge it, isn't pretty much every light rechargeable? I thought it would've had it integrated like the Lawman.

From what I'm seeing, they've bored out the P2X Fury and bumped the current a bit. I see it more as a a good upgrade for the P2X line than a whole product line of itself. Unless I missed something, of course.

Valid point about the rechargeable terminology. Someone else made a similar comment earlier in this thread or another.

SureFire has historically used the "rechargeable" label for lights that are primarily intended for use with their included rechargeable batteries. I believe they consider the CR123 support to be secondary for these lights and thus market them as rechargeable. Speaking for myself, I would not have liked this light as much if it had internal charging, particularly if it used the same proprietary battery format as the Lawman.

The Fury comparison is a good one and I consider the P1R to be an extension of the existing "P" line of lights such as the 6PX, P2X, and P3X Fury.

radiopej

Enlightened
Yeah, I like the light as it is too. I just think it's more a change that should have gone into all of their existing systems rather than a new model.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not real fond of lights that have an internal charger built in. With this light the way it is, we users have many more options available to us! Many different battery options. I feel that the battery charging should be left to the battery chargers, and lights should be left to do the lighting. The old "jack of all trades, master of none." ;)

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overall, I like the design. It does feel a bit "tame" with some of the competitors' entries. It does feel like SF is seeing just how long they can make the head unit/ bezel.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not real fond of lights that have an internal charger built in. With this light the way it is, we users have many more options available to us! Many different battery options. I feel that the battery charging should be left to the battery chargers, and lights should be left to do the lighting. The old "jack of all trades, master of none." ;)
Precisely! Got the R1 Lawman and although it is a nice light, it is a shame that the batteries are proprietary and Surefire remains stubborn about selling the proprietary battery separately and thus limiting users from getting any spare batteries as backup. One could run CR123 in there but at the expense of the full lumen output. What is Surefire thinking?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Precisely! Got the R1 Lawman and although it is a nice light, it is a shame that the batteries are proprietary and Surefire remains stubborn about selling the proprietary battery separately and thus limiting users from getting any spare batteries as backup. One could run CR123 in there but at the expense of the full lumen output. What is Surefire thinking?
That's typical for a rechargeable system, it needs both contacts on the same side of the battery to be able to support a tail switch. Otherwise, you would have to turn it on to charge...

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's typical for a rechargeable system, it needs both contacts on the same side of the battery to be able to support a tail switch. Otherwise, you would have to turn it on to charge...
Of course.. But Surefire should have made spare batteries easily available if they are to make it proprietary. In the case of the P1R, it is just so much better. Charge and use any easily available 18650 batteries as one like.

kssmith

Enlightened
I called Surefire a while back about the battery; I wanted a spare for my UNR. They will sell them; at the incredible low price of $140. *sarcasm* If my memory serves right. So needless to say, I still only have the one.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I called Surefire a while back about the battery; I wanted a spare for my UNR. They will sell them; at the incredible low price of $140. *sarcasm* If my memory serves right. So needless to say, I still only have the one.

I must be damned! 140 dollars? Ridiculous! Plain ridiculous! All the more I am appreciating the P1R for its simplicity. No more R1 or UNR type of lights for me. Once bitten, twice shy.

prop

Newly Enlightened

What a joke :confused:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

Never buy a device with a proprietary battery if you can help it and if you do, be prepared to spend some money.

At least this new P1R uses a common and inexpensive cell.

What type of drop-in, if any, does it use and has anybody done an amp draw on 'high?'

Chris

Last edited:

TheVat26

Enlightened
DAN92, definitely get a hold of Surefire about your twist cap tearing a nub in the battery. Apparently I was the first to report this issue to them, so they sent me a new 18650 and a new tailcap: the click version that is used in the dual mode. I don't know if they did it by mistake or if maybe they are starting to get issues with the twist cap.

When I called CS the first time they sent me a CR123 instead of an 18650. A quick call back and apology that they were unaware that the P1R had an 18650 me a little uneasy, but I'm no *** and will not talk badly because they had me my new battery and cap to me in two days!

I touted the P1R in an earlier post but just have to again applaud how fantastic this light really is, especially the tac version with the click switch. The clicky isn't as precise as a medium press Mclicky, but the resistance is very soft and responsive. A huge benefit on patrol because I use momentary at least 80% of the time and don't want my thumb getting tired. I at first (before SF sent me the click tailcap) was going to use my Overready Z41 w/medium press Mclicky but the only problem with the Z41 Mclicky is that the tailcap has to be completely tightened for activation versus the SF P1R clicky allows the cap to be loosened a 1/4 turn and still allow momentary/on/off. Another plus because when carried in a holster or SAP pocket the tailcap somehow finds a way to loosen a mm or two (the reason why I ditched my XT11 as a duty light; 3-4 times I pressed and got nothing, had to tighten. And of course the P1R beam is a lot cleaner and brighter in throw/spill). My partner just bought the lawman, but within days after seeing and using my P1R, sold his on Ebay. The lawman runtime is not good enough for a busy night shift in Los Angeles, and I don't trust the thin charging plug to hold up in the long run if you are charging in a patrol car. It will get snagged on the tons of wires and stuff we have in there and break over time. Kinda like breaking a key inside a lock if you pull in a direction other than straight out. The lawman charges pretty fast but sometimes you don't have the luxury of topping off during A busy night and changing to backup 123's isn't feasible during a cluster situation either (this the importance if a good 2X123 BU light). Just a quick P1R>Lawman opinion to those that wanted a street Ofcr opinion on the two.

DAN92

Enlightened
DAN92, definitely get a hold of Surefire about your twist cap tearing a nub in the battery. Apparently I was the first to report this issue to them, so they sent me a new 18650 and a new tailcap: the click version that is used in the dual mode. I don't know if they did it by mistake or if maybe they are starting to get issues with the twist cap.
ok, thank you for the info TheVat'.;)

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
"when carried in a holster or SAP pocket the tailcap somehow finds a way to loosen a mm or two"

A wrap with electrical tape will solve that kind of problem. Lost a tailcap & batteries out the bottom of a holster once.