Surefire P3X 1000 lumens!

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trying to pull 10 watts from a regular 18650 doesn't seem wise, and Surefire went the IFR instead of ICR route.
If only you could use 18500 instead of 17500. ICR 17500 1100mAh, IMR 18500 also 1100mAh.
Heat sinking seems low, which could explain the somewhat high weight, but the P2X Fury is also the same.

Doesn't seem innovative at all. It is nicely derivative of the P2X Fury, so I don't see how SF can justify an extra C note. An extra $25 certainly.
Innovative would be a Fenix TK35 style 2 rows of 2 cr123A, or 2x 18650.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
typo: should be 60hrs on low and 1.5hrs tactical :ohgeez:

Hopefully they'll correct it soon

stevieo

Newly Enlightened
It was a good day to check out CPF. Wonder if they'll make a nitrolon version?

nitrolon can not be bored. when I get my P3X it is going straight to Precision Works to be bored for 2x 18500's!!!

P3x not available for sale yet. I'll keep looking.

If an updated UB3T just went from 800 to 100 lumens you would be hard-pressed to notice the difference I would guess.

I would want an update to 2000 lumens

Big ouch. I want one. Now.

I'm suddenly expecting a 2,000 lumen M6LT. Hehehe. I'd love to see how well regulation holds up, though. Shouldn't be too bad I suppose? Considering that the UB3T holds its 800 lumens quite well.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P3X is another must have. XML2 maybe? I hope we can get it close to the P2X price point.

If the pricing shown on the site linked above is correct then it should be available for around $175.

I'm looking forward to this light but I'm really curious how it will handle the heat. I did some testing on the P2X Fury a couple of weeks ago and it gets hot enough, maybe even too hot for some. It makes me wonder if we won't see some sort of step-down in output as with other recent lights.

Furious Tide Of Light

Newly Enlightened
I think most folks don't want it with a strike bezel, but I'd like mine to have it.

Is it true that the variations will come in later? Or if it's not launched at the start, it won't be there?

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
There must be some thermal throttling going on. It would get extremely hot at 1000lm constant output with that small head. E.g. my oveready XML2 can produce over 1000lm for 40mins but you need to be holding it and it does get very hot. If you were to switch it on and set it down, it would get hot enough to burn you and possibly damage the battery. This is fine for a CPF user but not for the general public.

I hope the head unscrews easily for boring and aftermarket bodies. With the p2x fury, some will unscrew with strap-wrenches but the earlier ones just won't budge. I'd like a 2 x 18650 body.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heat will be a problem for this light. But.... it's a Surefire, and Ive never had a stock Surefire get too hot to hold. At 1000 lumens, I agree it must have something built in like a step down to deal with the heat. Boring to 18mm with a A19 extender should be the 18650 runtime ticket for this light. 2x18500 is awesome too.

If the pricing shown on the site linked above is correct then it should be available for around $175.

I'm looking forward to this light but I'm really curious how it will handle the heat. I did some testing on the P2X Fury a couple of weeks ago and it gets hot enough, maybe even too hot for some. It makes me wonder if we won't see some sort of step-down in output as with other recent lights.

There must be some thermal throttling going on. It would get extremely hot at 1000lm constant output with that small head. E.g. my oveready XML2 can produce over 1000lm for 40mins but you need to be holding it and it does get very hot. If you were to switch it on and set it down, it would get hot enough to burn you and possibly damage the battery. This is fine for a CPF user but not for the general public.

I hope the head unscrews easily for boring and aftermarket bodies. With the p2x fury, some will unscrew with strap-wrenches but the earlier ones just won't budge. I'd like a 2 x 18650 body.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I love my Fury... a Fury with "more" is a no-brainer! Can't wait to see what the street prices will be like on these... the 6v Fury is one of the best bargains out there right now.

SmokeJumperr

Newly Enlightened
I do like the Fury, more so now since I'm carrying mine with a Raven Concealment pocket clip. I ran one for weapon light on a rifle for a bit and it performed very well I thought even being banged around a ton.
So I'm looking at this new larger higher output version and thinking it might be an excellent on duty type light in a tactical SF version. I'm not a fan of low mode first, but that is just my preference. And a clickie would be good to. I'll be waiting to see when someone lays hands on one with a bit of a review

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do like the Fury, more so now since I'm carrying mine with a Raven Concealment pocket clip. I ran one for weapon light on a rifle for a bit and it performed very well I thought even being banged around a ton.
So I'm looking at this new larger higher output version and thinking it might be an excellent on duty type light in a tactical SF version. I'm not a fan of low mode first, but that is just my preference. And a clickie would be good to. I'll be waiting to see when someone lays hands on one with a bit of a review
oh heck yea, I just looked up the Raven Concealment clip and that's exactly what I've been wanting for my Fury. thanks for the tip! :D

SmokeJumperr

Newly Enlightened
oh heck yea, I just looked up the Raven Concealment clip and that's exactly what I've been wanting for my Fury. thanks for the tip! :D

Your very welcome! not to hijack the thread of course, but it is a great addition to the Fury, I suppose it could be put on this new P3X for someone wanting to carry the light in uniform type pants.

ROB21

Newly Enlightened
You think the 1000 lm is only a temporary burst? If yes, I wonder what it steps down to afterwords.

tonkem

Enlightened

880arm, are you going to be doing a review of the fury, runtimes, etc?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
880arm, are you going to be doing a review of the fury, runtimes, etc?

I have been working on a review of the P2X Fury for a couple of weeks but it keeps getting pushed aside by the new lights that SureFire is releasing. The runtime tests on the new Outdoorsman lights have been like running a marathon . . . I've got the attention span of a 2 year old so I look forward to reviewing some more high-powered tactical lights :). I get a lot of search traffic on my site for the Fury so even though it's been out for a while, I know there is still considerable interest in it.

I will be doing a review of the P3X just as soon as (if) I can get my hands on one!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
When scanning the forum index & I see 880arm's is the last post on a soon to be released light thread, I brace myself for pics; somehow he already has it.