Surefire tactician

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
Around 15 minutes on full brightness with CR123a. This is a real tactical light, 15 minutes is long enough to take one action, then replace batteries.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks as always Sean. :thumbsup:
However, that 16650 curve looks great. Is the brightness scale the same for each battery type or is it arbitrarily set to start out around 160? For the apparent slight loss in brightness indicated by these graphs, the 16650 looks like a very good option for this light.

Well, the brightness scale is somewhat accurate in that the higher the reading the brighter the output but the scaling is off. In other words, the Tactician with 16650 output is near 500-550 lumens (thats why the runtime is so flat). But the Tactician with CR123A or LFP runs at 800 lumens, which is why runtime is so much shorter.

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
My Tactician is waiting patiently in my mailbox for when I'm off work... If only time would move a bit faster...

ChibiM

Enlightened
Surefire E2T-MV Tactician runtime tests:

16650 2500mAh runtime test results:
Note that the Tactician does not run at full brightness from a 16650. My measurements show that the Tactician brightness drops down within the first minute to about the brightness of the EDCL1-T at full output (500 lumens) and stays at that level for 65 minutes as long as you are holding the light bezel in your hand (hand cooling) otherwise the brightness sags. This is followed by slowly declining output. At 80 minutes the output has dropped to about 75 lumens and keeps declining. At 90 minutes the output has reached 50 lumens. At that point I ended the test.

LFP K2 Energy runtime test:
Runs at full brightness for about 15 minutes (and gets very warm) and then drops off in brightness pretty quickly after that. At the 18 minute mark it was already down to 60 lumens. At that point I ended the test.

CR123A Runtime test:
I used Duracell Ultra CR123A cells for the test:

What is the number on the Y axis? Lux from ceiling bounce?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the number on the Y axis? Lux from ceiling bounce?

I use a digital multimeter connected to a solar cell with a certain piece of paper over it to cut the light down a specific amount. I place the light directly onto the solar cell so all light is collected. So the numbers from the Y axis are the voltage readings (160=1.6 volts) from the DMM.

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
^^ Nice!!

C'mon 5 o'clock, huh?

I happen to work 7a-7p as a medical shift so it really dragged!

Got the light in hand. Much smaller emitter than I'm used to after carrying an EB1 for a few years. Very happy with the size of this light and I like the MV more than I expected to! I expected almost too much spill but it actually still throws pretty well. I'd say the MV strikes a very nice balance between throw and flood.

akz133

Newly Enlightened
I happen to work 7a-7p as a medical shift so it really dragged!Got the light in hand. Much smaller emitter than I'm used to after carrying an EB1 for a few years. Very happy with the size of this light and I like the MV more than I expected to! I expected almost too much spill but it actually still throws pretty well. I'd say the MV strikes a very nice balance between throw and flood.
When did you order it and from where?

ChibiM

Enlightened
I use a digital multimeter connected to a solar cell with a certain piece of paper over it to cut the light down a specific amount. I place the light directly onto the solar cell so all light is collected. So the numbers from the Y axis are the voltage readings (160=1.6 volts) from the DMM.

Interesting! Thanks.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire E2T-MV Tactician runtime tests:

16650 2500mAh runtime test results:
Note that the Tactician does not run at full brightness from a 16650. My measurements show that the Tactician brightness drops down within the first minute to about the brightness of the EDCL1-T at full output (500 lumens) and stays at that level for 65 minutes as long as you are holding the light bezel in your hand (hand cooling) otherwise the brightness sags. This is followed by slowly declining output. At 80 minutes the output has dropped to about 75 lumens and keeps declining. At 90 minutes the output has reached 50 lumens. At that point I ended the test.

LFP K2 Energy runtime test:
Runs at full brightness for about 15 minutes (and gets very warm) and then drops off in brightness pretty quickly after that. At the 18 minute mark it was already down to 60 lumens. At that point I ended the test.

CR123A Runtime test:
I used Duracell Ultra CR123A cells for the test:

What specific 16650 are you using and what charger are you charging it up with?

Try the Sanyo 4.35v 2500mAh 16650, if you're not using that already.

You will need a charger that can charge up 3.80v-3.85v (4.35v) cells, however.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Sanyo UR16650ZTA 2500mAh (Magenta) UK.html

Chris

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
What specific 16650 are you using and what charger are you charging it up with?

Chris

I'm using KeepPower 16650 2500mAh Sanyo protected battery and I'm charging it with a Nitecore i4. I am aware that you can charge Sanyo 16650s to 4.35v with a special charger but I don't feel like spending the money on another battery and charger at this time when what I have works just fine. It's not like I'm maxing my light out every day and needing a little more capacity. 80 minutes+ is pretty good. :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I happen to work 7a-7p as a medical shift so it really dragged!

Got the light in hand. Much smaller emitter than I'm used to after carrying an EB1 for a few years. Very happy with the size of this light and I like the MV more than I expected to! I expected almost too much spill but it actually still throws pretty well. I'd say the MV strikes a very nice balance between throw and flood.

From reading folks impressions it sounds like it is suited to be an all around player instead of a niche like the EB1(or2) was with its pencil beam. Choice of starting on high or low with a simple head twist is not new, but a good idea is still a good idea regardless of its origin.

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
From reading folks impressions it sounds like it is suited to be an all around player instead of a niche like the EB1(or2) was with its pencil beam. Choice of starting on high or low with a simple head twist is not new, but a good idea is still a good idea regardless of its origin.

Having had and gifted away an EDCL1 I can say that the EB1 replacement has a much larger hotspot that is a lot more versatile. You may like that light. I also ordered an EDCL2 that is still on backorder from B&H as I wanted the higher output. You're definitely right, though. The Tactician is a great all around light with a clean beam. So far my only concern is that I'll have to adjust how I carry it. I usually keep a light in my front left pocket with my keys but that will have the lanyard getting tangled in my keychain for sure. I generally hate back pocket carry because I often notice it when sitting in some types of chair. Alternately I could just remove the lanyard but I want to try it out. Or I could move my phone to my left pocket and my keys to the right but then I'm attacking an expensive knife with key scratches. The EDCL2 May become my daily carry light simply due to the bezel down carry but time will tell.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using KeepPower 16650 2500mAh Sanyo protected battery and I'm charging it with a Nitecore i4. I am aware that you can charge Sanyo 16650s to 4.35v with a special charger but I don't feel like spending the money on another battery and charger at this time when what I have works just fine. It's not like I'm maxing my light out every day and needing a little more capacity. 80 minutes+ is pretty good. :)

Cool. I was just curious because a lot of SF light guys aren't 'li-ion' astute. With the protected KP, you still wouldn't be able to charge it up to 4.35v due to the protection circuit's over-voltage step.

A Liitokala Lii 100 4.35v multi chem charger is like $4.50 shipped from GearBest, so we're not talking a lot of money to get into the game, to be frank.

I've got two protected Redilast 17670s, which are just the Gen. 1 Sanyo 2200mAh 4.30v cells, but I don't care either, since my 6P sits in a drawer.

Chris

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
I'm really enjoying this light. So much, in fact, that I cancelled my EDCL2-T order after testing it out outdoors. It may not be a thrower but it reaches a good 50+ yards away which is more than enough for my uses. I thought I might have an issue with the one way clip but it turned out to be a non-issue. Loving this light.

APS

Newly Enlightened
I have been carrying mine for ~ a week now and am really happy I made the purchase. For the last couple of years I have been carrying various tube lights bezel down so I was a little worried I wouldn't like the Tactician's bezel up orientation. But now I realize it's more consistent and easier to grab when it's bezel up which fits the purpose of this light. Kinda wish the low was a little brighter but no biggie I also carry a small utility light.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, why go to the trouble (and mild increased risk) when work provides free batteries?

I guess because not everybody's a cop and not every cop department sports for batteries, for their officers?

As far as an increased risk, you're (presumably) a cop and risk is part of the job description, even if a li-ion cell is actually pretty low on the risk assessment scale.

Chris