Surefire UB3T arrived! **Pictures, Q&A, BEAMSHOTS!!**

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm kinda stumped at the rated runtimes on the lower levels, they seem to get worse as the levels get lower.
From your pic, the UB3T is rated 30 lumens/25 hrs and 15 lumens/27.5 hrs?
My LX2 is rated on low 15 lumens/47 hrs.
I suggest comparing runtime output charts of the 15 lumen modes of the two flashlights rather than the paper-ratings for runtime

TF2

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the side by side pic - i must have this light now!!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Ran into the Surefire rep last Friday and got to play around with the UB3T for quite a while. I was completely impressed with the output level, beam quality and overall function of this light! I think it will be in contention for cpf light of the year although the price will be restrictive for many.

Great review thread and pictures DimeRazorBack! Those are some really helpful comparisons, including the side by side with the ML3T. Great to see what appears to be an XM-L LED hidden in there. I'm glad that Surefire is using some of the latest components once again.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire UB3T arrived! **Pictures, Q&A, Beamshot & more to come**

The UB3T has what they are calling a "Max Blast Tailcap". If you half press the tailcap you get the output selected on the selector ring. No matter where the selector ring is positioned, if you fully press you will get 800 lumens. (This is the same for rotating the tailcap for constant on) Also, if you have your selected output on constant by rotating the tailcap, and require full output you can depress the tailcap further for momentary 800 lumens or rotate the tailcap further for constant on 800 lumens.

In essence you can have the light run as a single mode twisty with momentary activation by having the selector ring positioned on the "Max" setting.

I hope this makes sense, let me know if I need to clarify anything.

I think that's a nice UI for a SF light. I wonder if there is a parasitic battery drain when the selector ring is at OFF like most of the other lights.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire UB3T arrived! **Pictures**

Can you please upload more pictures , I am starving for them !

I will get more pictures up mate. Any requests??

that light looks amazing. does any on the information that came with the light specify the candela/throw?

No information as to Candela, only the 800 lumen rating :thumbsup:

Thanks for these pictures DRB. I agree, the emitter definitely looks like an XM-L rather than an SST-50 as was speculated before.
I think I'll probably hold out for the UBR, but have you tried 2 x 17500 in the UB3T yet?

I'd like to see some beamshot comparisons against the Fenix TK41

It seems to work fine with 17500's. :D :twothumbs

I would love to fulfill your request, however I don't have the TK41 unfortunately.

Sweet looking lights and appreciate the photos, some Qs.

Can you post a photo of those 2 lights next to a z2 or 6p?

Can those run rechargeables?

How are they outdoors!?

I will do some pics with the a 6P and Z2 for you :thumbsup:

I have it running on 2x17500's right now :D

It goes good outdoors. Haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but I will tonight. :)

The beamshot actually looks pretty similar to the Surefire M6 MN21 (not shown). It's a nice diffuse round hotspot with no sharp bright point in middle and not much side spill. It's a good useful beam designed for seeing things far away and not just to obtain high throw numbers at the expense of practicality.

You described the beam well. I was originally going to post my the similarity to the MN21's beam. I think it's great! Just not as "pure" as an incan! :nana:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for answering my q's DRB...yep, next tax return, fo'sho!

No problem man!

This is the kind of light that makes Surefire my favorite brand. The A2, L-series, K2/K2-MS and the U2, to name a few, have all been the standards by which the flashlight market was judged during their respective times. Surefire has been behind the curve in regards to technology recently, but in my opinion it's just because they put a whole lot more R&D into each light they make (and the fact that they are a large company), but now we're starting to see impressive lights like the UB3T and the M3LT come to market.

I agree!

Their new rechargeable lineup: UDR Dominator, UAR Aviator, UBR Invictus, UNR Commander, and R1 Lawman are coming soon and I think those lights will be just as (or even more) impressive as these recent releases. :thumbsup:

I too am looking forward to the rechargeable lights! Hopefully they deliver as well as the UB3T!

With that said, their pricing is expensive, but if one is buying these lights for their intended purposes (and not for a flashaholic collection) I think most would agree that they are worth it when you factor in the durability, functionality, and the best warranty on the market.

I agree again, if you by SF's for a collection you will be disappointed with the price. If you buy them to be used for the intended purpose, you will be more than pleased!

thanks for the side by side pic - i must have this light now!!

No problem mate, it's my new favorite LED light for sure!

Ran into the Surefire rep last Friday and got to play around with the UB3T for quite a while. I was completely impressed with the output level, beam quality and overall function of this light! I think it will be in contention for cpf light of the year although the price will be restrictive for many.

Great review thread and pictures DimeRazorBack! Those are some really helpful comparisons, including the side by side with the ML3T. Great to see what appears to be an XM-L LED hidden in there. I'm glad that Surefire is using some of the latest components once again.

Thanks mate, and I agree with your comment on light of the year. A lot of people will be put off by the price, but it truly is an awesome light.

I think that's a nice UI for a SF light. I wonder if there is a parasitic battery drain when the selector ring is at OFF like most of the other lights.

It sure is a nice UI. The selector ring works really well too.

Not to sure mate. I don't know how to test for the parasitic drain, but if someone could tell me how I will try.

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool review DRB and great photos.

Out of all your big surefires, which do you like the best?

And what was the intended use of this? A police belt torch? or something you'd keep in the car?

Cheers mate!

Incan - All my Surefires :D

LED - Now it is the UB3T!

I use my M3LT on duty for searching fields etc and have a Z3 w/M91W on my belt.
The UB3T will be my home/car/where ever I need a big light, light. :D

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Congrats on the new light and thanks for all the info! Does it throw as far as the M6 or farther?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

More Pics

P6154095.jpg

P6154097.jpg

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

What a beauty! I am sure it would be as practical and useful as it looks. Very sure since I voted with my wallet.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened

I think if people didn't scream about the price some, it would be a sign SF priced it too low. I hope it finds wide adoption in their target markets, it really is a cool and versatile concept. It is really great to see quality, innovation and design like this. Just pure awesome! Thanks again for the photos.

seattlite

Enlightened

Any chance you can post some comparative beamshots with some XM-L drop-ins?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only other XM-L light I have is my Malkoff M91W.

IcantC

Enlightened

Thanks for all the photos and answers! I am so jealous!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, great. This kind of performance gives hope for the m6lt... but your m6 incan's batteries in that shot weren't the freshest, were they?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, great. This kind of performance gives hope for the m6lt... but your m6 incan's batteries in that shot weren't the freshest, were they?

They were fresh off the charger. Colour balance was off on my camera.

iapyx

Enlightened
Oh my, I have ordered one a long time ago and payed in advance (as I preferred myself) and then then at SS2011 SF introduced the UBR. Now I see this UB3T and I am so much in doubt. Go for this one or wait for the UBR (more expensive). I think I will wait, but these photos don't make it easy. I must resist. I must resist.

Thanks for the pics DR, much appreciated.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just got mine this morning. Unfortunately, I had to go to work so its still sitting at home unopened. I'll chime in more later.

Did you get a chance to do a runtime test on the 2x17500s?

Curious to see how that holds up compared to the 3xprimaries.

MSax

emitdab

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for info, got me excited and I just ordered mine. Got some co-workers I want to hit with the strobe.