SureFire UDR Dominator - Review, Photos and discussion

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SureFire UDR Dominator - Photos, discussion, and review in progress

The UDR specs look promising. If anyone (who can afford the UDR) could review this light, I'd be really grateful :D
However I'm wondering how they ended up with only 2800 mah, with a rechargeable battery of that size. I wonder how long the UDR will last on turbo mode with it.
Because there's no way, I'll be running that kind of light with 12 CR123! :D

I can't afford to buy one but that won't keep me from doing a review! Unfortunately I have faced a couple of setbacks with my equipment and the weather but hopefully I can start making progress again in a few days.

Like you, I also expected a little more battery capacity. Aside from that I have to say the battery pack is extremely solid. The exterior is anodized aluminum and it's built like a tank.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't afford to buy one but that won't keep me from doing a review! Unfortunately I have faced a couple of setbacks with my equipment and the weather but hopefully I can start making progress again in a few days.

Like you, I also expected a little more battery capacity. Aside from that I have to say the battery pack is extremely solid. The exterior is anodized aluminum and it's built like a tank.

I am hoping you can suss out more reasons the battery pack is the way it is; That it is not just a proprietary product to force customers to stay 'in the fold', but also a way to insure reliability of a product that may be used in harm's way.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

First post updated with pics of the battery options and the carry sling.

I am hoping you can suss out more reasons the battery pack is the way it is . . .

I'm trying to find out. I suspect it's at least partly related to reliability and/or the battery's behavior performance under load. I will update if I learn anything.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

any chance of a pic next to some well known lights (standing up in a row) like a Magcharger or 3D Mag, M6, M4, 6P etc ? would really show how big this light is.

I probably won't be buying one (way to much money, and if i need something that throws further than my HDS if grab my Maxabeam) but it is still a very interesting light.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

any chance of a pic next to some well known lights (standing up in a row) like a Magcharger or 3D Mag, M6, M4, 6P etc ? would really show how big this light is . . .

I plan to do some kind of full lineup for the review, including a comparison to some Maglites. Right now that's on hold for a day or two while I finish up a couple of other projects but I do have a few teaser pics I took for social media.

For perspective, it's nearly a foot long, 3" diameter at the bezel (without the shroud) and the body is about the same as the M6/M6LT. That being said, it makes the M6LT look like a wimp :devil: (Click images for larger versions)

The 4.25" E1D LED Defender compared to the Dominator head (with rubber shroud) . . .

Another comparison showing the 3.25" T1A Titan alongside the Dominator head (without the rubber shroud). This one has become the new wallpaper on my computer :twothumbs

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast

From the picture of the emitter, the screw on the right looks like it is about to rust, or does the metal just look that way?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

From the picture of the emitter, the screw on the right looks like it is about to rust, or does the metal just look that way?

It looks like it's just a discoloration of the screw finish. I don't believe it would be rust. I can't even see it without a zoom lens.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting light for sure. Hope the price ends up being sub 1K. That's still a pretty strong price! lol But nice looking rig for sure. Looks like I would go broke feeding it CR123's! Seems like they could drop the rechargeable pack option, Sell the light for $200 and make the profit on battery sales! lol

Thanks for the pics & short write up.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast

It looks like it's just a discoloration of the screw finish. I don't believe it would be rust. I can't even see it without a zoom lens.

I suppose it is logical to assume that no way would Surefire install something that would be detrimental to reliability. More so at that price. :)

bulbmogul

Enlightened

RUST..? On a brand new 1300.00 light..Um ok...Bet your not a player in buying one now are yah?

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast

RUST..? On a brand new 1300.00 light..Um ok...Bet your not a player in buying one now are yah?

Haha, no way am I gonna buy it since it is way out of my budget! :p

As 880arm has said, it is probably a discoloration from anodizing that makes the screw look that way. Nothing to worry about. :)

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

I plan to do some kind of full lineup for the review, including a comparison to some Maglites. Right now that's on hold for a day or two while I finish up a couple of other projects but I do have a few teaser pics I took for social media.

For perspective, it's nearly a foot long, 3" diameter at the bezel (without the shroud) and the body is about the same as the M6/M6LT. That being said, it makes the M6LT look like a wimp :devil:
Thank You !

its a big light, but not ridiculously big, for the power it has.
I'm starting to get tempted, but i don't need a new light.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Managed to get out and take a few short range beamshot photos tonight with the new Dominator. Unfortunately I don't have any other 2400 lumen, 200,000+ candela lights to compare it to so I just had to make do with what I had. :shrug:

Needless to say, the overall output and reach are very impressive and far exceed any other LED light available from SureFire. While it's easy to focus on the 2400 lumen max output, I was also very impressed by the amount of throw provided by the lower output levels. As a point of reference, when set at level 6 (around 340 lumens) the UDR has a similar amount of throw as my 900 lumen M6LT. Beam tint is cool, but not overly so, and the broad reflector provides a pretty substantial spill beam to go along with the great reach.

I plan to take some longer range beamshots tomorrow night but in the meantime I can share these (approximately 40 yards to swing) . . .

Malkoff Hound Dog V3 (Cool White)
20141120183458-823ad333.jpg

SureFire UDR Dominator Level 8 (about 1200 lumens, just to keep it fair)
:devil:

20141120183951-7f6cd088.jpg

SureFire M6LT Guardian (900 lumen version)

20141120183512-96f50029.jpg

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the 9 output levels are spaced apart at a (roughly) 2:1 ratio. The lower output levels are slightly under represented in this animation but it should still give a good idea of the spacing.

20141120190547-7d4b4e69.gif

Runtime test results with the rechargeable battery have been identical to the listed specs, literally down to the minute, for Max (Level 9) and Medium (Level 5) modes. I still have to finish up a few other modes and do some testing with 123A primary batteries this weekend. When operated in Max mode, there is a programmed step down to the next level after a couple of minutes. After that point, output is fairly stable for the remainder of the runtime although thermal regulation does adjust output to keep temperatures in check.

Hopefully I will have the review wrapped up after a productive weekend! :twothumbs

PocketRocket

Newly Enlightened

*Poof*

Last edited:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

after the light has dropped in output does a quik off/on bring it back to top output?

eff

Enlightened

When operated in Max mode, there is a programmed step down to the next level after a couple of minutes. After that point, output is fairly stable for the remainder of the runtime although thermal regulation does adjust output to keep temperatures in check.

Hopefully I will have the review wrapped up after a productive weekend! :twothumbs

How hot is the light after the step down ? Is it possible to bring it back to turbo mode right after that ?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

after the light has dropped in output does a quik off/on bring it back to top output?

How hot is the light after the step down ? Is it possible to bring it back to turbo mode right after that ?

Cycling off and back on again or moving the control ring down a level and back up will return to the Max output mode. I haven't tested whether or not the thermal regulation affects that output at that level.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cycling off and back on again or moving the control ring down a level and back up will return to the Max output mode. I haven't tested whether or not the thermal regulation affects that output at that level.

I imagine that if someone kept doing that with the rechargeable battery the runtime would be very poor. awesome beamshots though.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice! It's too bad there is not more runtime on the rechargable pack. Tests of LiIon cells in the carrier will be very interesting.

Thanks for the testing, looking forward to the updates.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for updating this review, 880. I wouldn't have thought there would be a need for such a drastic step down with the massive heatsinking that this light has, especially as the CBT-90 has thermal protection built in to the emitter itself. I find that Surefire tends to be very conservative in this regard compared to Eagletac for example.