Surefire UM2 Ultra

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, somebody just posted the UM2 on an auction site for $295 as well,says there's two available. Love to have one, just don't have the extra money right now...

This auction site uses the same 'Baby Dominator' ad copy and seems to indicate a limited production run:

SureFire UM2 Baby Dominator Variable Output LED Flashlight - ONLY 800 MADE

Are these NOS (New Old Stock) from a product that was axed during the recent SF cutbacks perhaps?

Are these units offered to dealers as a closeout like some of the classic incandescents were a few years ago? :confused:

kssmith

Enlightened
Ok ok; I didn't have the money, but couldn't resist. Someone should have acted faster. So I ended up buying one today since they sat there for hours.... [emoji57] anyway we will see when it comes in; I'll post some pics.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok ok; I didn't have the money, but couldn't resist. Someone should have acted faster. So I ended up buying one today since they sat there for hours.... [emoji57] anyway we will see when it comes in; I'll post some pics.
i commend your bravery kssmith!!!

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for taking one for the team! Looking forward to your report.

Yep, I was sorely tempted but I swore (again ;)) not to be the first to buy a new light this time.

Reminds me of listening to my colleagues in a holding pattern while a slippery runway was being treated and deiced after a report of 'braking action poor to nil'. The approach controller asked the next plane in the landing sequence if he wanted to be the first to land on the runway now that it was open again. He said, nossir, we'd like to be second. :)

AR_Shorty

Enlightened

I must have bought the second one then. We shall see what arrives...or doesn't arrive.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Suddenly there seems to be something very fishy about this listing for the possible SureFire UM2. :shakehead

Now the price for the UM2 is given by the vendor mentioned above as:

List Price: $1,200.00
Price: $295.00
Savings: $905.00

Stock Status:In Stock
Icon_FreeShipping.gif

SKU: UM2-A-BK

That posted $1200 list price for the UM2 doesn't pass the smell test for me. Is it just a typo? Or was it based on the UDR Dominator, not the UM2 'Baby' Dominator? Will it suddenly be corrected after this post? ;)

Well, it now looks like the listing has indeed been 'corrected' and the $1200 'list price' has been removed:

Price: $295.00
Stock Status:In Stock
Icon_FreeShipping.gif

SKU: UM2-A-BK

The other listing on the online auction site now shows several additional UM2's available.

Will more listings for these lights pop up as they trickle out into the retail channel?

Did the UM2 finally emerge from the SureFire product vaporware cave after years of 'development' only to be axed after an 800 unit production run?

Even if they are from a production run that was discontinued I would sure be sorely tempted to buy a couple.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Killing it after 800 produced is sad, maybe they were just too expensive to manufacture?
I agree that the TIR could be smaller, the E1D and E2D already have great beams with good spill.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the UM2 is only a 800 Unit run than Surefire is really stupid. I'd be sure this light would sell very fine. I assume after the internal changes Surefire must see how they get the money to pay the Production lines, staff, ... If the technical specification is really true, a 600 Lumens light with selector ring in 2xCR123 is not that bad.
The good old Sureifre U2 is IMO one of the best light they ever made. I know there are more popular lights, but I always loved my U2.

Last edited:

jgunner1313

Newly Enlightened
I've talked to George over at SureFire who is their product manager and he confirmed arms did receive ALL of the supply. His email is [email protected]. Arms must have sold some to other sellers

AR_Shorty

Enlightened
So is 800 all they are making of the UM2 or was this just 800 in the first batch of lights to ship out??

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our UM2 CPF pioneers should get their lights in the next day or two. :clap:

I've seen at least three versions of the UM2 posted in discussions here over the last four-and-a-half years.

There is a 'computer programmable' version on page 36 of the 2012 SureFire catalog:

http://www.mp-sec.com/media/19863/2012_surefire_catalog.pdf

Another updated UM2 prototype in this video from the 2015 SHOT Show posted earlier in this thread:

https://youtu.be/ATP-vNoxaDI?t=41

And, the latest rendering in the previously posted ArmsUnlimited product listing:

https://www.armsunlimited.com/SureFire-Baby-Dominator-Variable-LED-Flashlight-p/um2-a-bk.htm

The 2012 catalog UM2 has an interesting tailcap, was it ever used on another light?

The last two UM2's seem to have SF Z59 and Z41 tailcaps perhaps.

Only the latest UM2 picture seems to have circumferential hash marks for the output levels, kinda like on the UB3T.

I wonder if the UM2 will have selector ring detents like the Kroma or no detents like the U2? Or, was it the other way around, I never could remember? ;)

The SHOT Show UM2 has holes in the clip, handy for attaching a lanyard.

Latest posts