Surefire UM2 Ultra

Genna

Flashlight Enthusiast
20160825_180251_zpsmutyiq8v.jpg

Alright,
Sorry to take so long to get pictures up, but work this afternoon was not cooperating with flashlight priorities. oh well, anyway, as for 18650s, they will not fit in the light. I tried a 17670 on high, and there is an almost immediate step down in brightness. I do not have a way to measure the output. Also, the selector ring has notches, or clicks for the outputs, it is not smooth like the original. Here are some pictures of the items, and the UM2 next to a P2X, and some with an original U2. Hope you enjoy!

IMG_6477_zpshmx5exxr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6491_zpsvxsgyf5n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6492_zps2yvakzcc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6493_zpspm01zjva.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6494_zpsvwzwrm05.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6495_zpsb9py12kg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_6496_zpsln3ibofc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6497_zpsmiyoiyqn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6498_zpslqthkv8k.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6499_zpsbfnjt2x9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6500_zpsyowf9s1g.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6502_zpsinnm4bzg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6503_zpswwpmbbni.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6504_zpstytvfjzv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6505_zpsdparhegj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6506_zpsudyqqtkc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6507_zps7z4nue1j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6508_zpsabheark4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6509_zpsgyaihuvh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks for the pics!

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
How would you compare the size for carry in a cargo pocket using the clip. I have a u2a and that's the upper limit of size I carry. It looks larger but how noticeable would you say it is? Beamshots?

kssmith

Enlightened
When it comes to carry, I never carried the original U2, but the bezel looks to be the same diameter at the end. The overall head size and length is a little more. The bodies and tailcaps are the same I think.

As for the beam, so far looks good, but I've been waiting for the night to really see it. Give me a few more and I'll try to get some pics.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome pictures. Obviously, I didn't hide my credit cards well enough. :shakehead
I gotta get one of those ballcaps. :paypal:

Looks thick enough to bore for a bare 18650. :)

And, looks like an original U2 body, which definitely takes the 18650 (sometimes you have to remove a plastic insert), will work with this light. It appears that the UM2 body is a very minor modification of the U2 body with almost the same milling and a different clip. Is the tailcap a longer version of the Z41 on the U2 perhaps? Or is it the same? Maybe a little Lego time between the UM2 and U2 in the interest of science? ;)

Has that UM2 clip appeared on a production SF light before? :confused:

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Must not buy... Must not buy... Must not buy... How long you guys think these will last? I need to hold off a bit but I want one.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that great pictures. :clap::clap::clap:You really made my day. I ordered also one. But the way to me is much loooooooonger... :shakehead ... maybe in 2 weeks I'll have mine.

Also interesting would be a few beamshots and impressions how the light is when it is dark outside. Does the beam has enough spill or is is extremely focused with the TIR?

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Thanks kssmith and AR_Shorty for those pics and for taking one for the team. I pretty much took the dive the day after you guys, but mine won't hit the ground for at least another week or two. It is good to get confirmation that I'm likely to get the legitimate deal.

Interestingly, the last 6 left listed on the auction site after I placed my order have now sold out, 4 of them went today. I'd suspect that a number of other CPF members may have pushed the button on the sale now that these pics are out. You have done the community a service in this regard.

kssmith

Enlightened
Here are some beamshots I took last night, I didn't get a chance to upload them until now. Keep in mind, I am not experianced in this, and used my Iphone. The comparison light is the 600 lumen Fury. In the two outside pictures, the tree to the left, at the very end is around 50 yards away.

Fury:
IMG_6510_zps1gi8ta61.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

UM2:
IMG_6512_zpsrwnidm4a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Inside, distance around 10 feet:

Fury:

IMG_6513_zps7n4i87m4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

UM2:

IMG_6514_zpsgwljthp8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMO, the beams are very similar, but I think the UM2 will have more throw. I did not get a chance to go out for a distance test last night. Hope these help!

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Thanks for reconnaissance, folks. Looks like a very interesting light. Seems huge for a two-cell light, but still very interesting.

WDR65

Enlightened
Thanks for reconnaissance, folks. Looks like a very interesting light. Seems huge for a two-cell light, but still very interesting.

It is surprisingly large, which follows the same pattern as the E series with the upgraded optics. They have all gone the opposite way of the what first made me buy Surefire, the size to output ratio.

Edit: The size to output ratio is still good, I just mean that they have gotten quite a bit larger over the years.

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interestingly, the last 6 left listed on the auction site after I placed my order have now sold out, 4 of them went today. I'd suspect that a number of other CPF members may have pushed the button on the sale now that these pics are out. You have done the community a service in this regard.

It appears that the seller is replenishing the auction listing 10 units at a time. If the 800 unit figure is accurate, these lights should be available for many paydays to come.

I've learned to be eternally skeptical of SureFire product release announcements but it looks like the UM2 is finally on the market as a single dealer list price closeout.

Will this be the last of the classic SF's from the PK design era? The selector ring, head and clip are new but the body and tailcap are virtually unchanged from the 2004 introduction of the U2 (which was spec'ed at 80 or 100 lumens in the early product listings).