SureFire V2 Vampire

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
Got to play around with one of these today :D

Flawless beam, TIR focus.

Much brighter than 70 lum, maybe 120 to 150, compared to my LX2.

Slightly blue tint, but not nearly as blue as the G2D /p60L.

Selector ring is very solid, and impossible to accidently switch.

Oozes quality (it is surefire)

Size15's

Flashaholic
Your hands-on experience would seem to imply that some people are too-quick to judge and dismiss based on ratings alone? :popcorn:

Last edited:

roxy

Newly Enlightened
hi guys,

anyone knows how to identify the max lumens from a particular V2 Vampire, (apart from sending it for testing). Older posts inside here described the white light as having max lumens of 70, the 2010 catalogue says it's 100 lumens, whereas the website gives it as 150 lumens.

cheers

Size15's

Flashaholic
:welcome:
The lumen output rating on the packaging and in the instruction manual is going to be the best indicator (although there could be periods when the packaging takes a while to catch up with on-production output improvements)

Lightsman

Newly Enlightened
anyone knows how to identify the max lumens from a particular V2 Vampire, (apart from sending it for testing). Older posts inside here described the white light as having max lumens of 70, the 2010 catalogue says it's 100 lumens, whereas the website gives it as 150 lumens.
As far as I know the V2 Vampire only had 150 lumens. The light was "underrated" and the 100 lumens were in real 150 lumens. The head of the Vampire was always the KM3 head.
When I compare my Vampire with my LX2 and my U2 and A2L the Vampire is more like the LX2 in brightness than the U2 or A2L.

But if you will be 100% sure ask Surefire and post the answer here :)

roxy

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips. Sure hope mine's 150 lumens

Apparently, I got mine in a different packaging. Its definitely a genuine Surefire but mine does not come in the usual clear hard plastic packaging which is usually used for displaying (with the max lumens printed outside).

I have a Surefire Backup (old model, 80 lumens), the V2 Vampire, and the LX2. I was surprised when my eyes could not make a major difference in the outputs between the Backup and the Vampire. I was expecting some dramatic differences between the 80 and 150 lumens. I've yet to test it in dark ideal conditions.

Well, it could just be my eyes :huh:

Cheers.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights intended for military personel usually come in a plan cardboard box with "Surefire" printed on it.

This is how my KROMA MIL-SPEC arrived, and it was brand new.

Only commercial things need comercial packaging :thumbsup:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The early KM3's were 100 lumens. (70 lumens was a pre-production estimate)
Improved LEDs now have 150 lumen output.

The E1B has always been high-performing and the rating increase to 110 lumens catches up to this.

So it is reasonable that your E1B and V2 white-light outputs look similar.

So the only way to be 'certain' that the KM3 is the current production with the 150 lumen rating is for the 150 lumen rating to be stated on the packaging or paperwork.
If the KM3 product does not come with any rating information then for a while at least it is possible for it to still be an earlier 100 lumen version.

Al

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some pics of the KM4 Vampire head, it replaces the Z46 (Surefire M3 bezel) on Surefire weaponlights.

km4.jpg

km4back.jpg

Straight on view with white led selected:
km4led.jpg

Straight on view with IR led selected:
km4ir.jpg

km4side.jpg

Last edited:

BBL

Enlightened
This thing shifts the led around in the head? Thats something new. The surefire weaponlight range brings up the weirdest stuff.

jellydonut

Enlightened
So THAT is how it works. I always assumed by the off-center beam in beamshots that they were nestled side by side in the TIR like a Linger Special. I guess due to the LEDs physically moving not every Vampire will have them centered.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thing shifts the led around in the head? Thats something new.

Yep, you physically turn the head it changes the led position, lining up the selected led with the TIR. Pretty cool.

The surefire weaponlight range brings up the weirdest stuff.

Well you could put it on an M3 body. If I had an M3 body I would do it just to see what it would look like.