Sylvania/Osram Mini 4AA Lantern Upgrade

dom

Enlightened
Hi BB
The optics shine the light side and down -great for reading ect. on a table -the diffuser is blinding all the time,moreso after the LED upgrade and shines much less downwards.

I'll be trying the LC1 medium Cree optic and Cree LED tonite and also a recently arrived Khatod 17mm stippled reflector and Seoul LED.

Hopefully these 2 will give a wider beam pattern -but we'll see.

Hi Mark
Thanks for the heads up on the optics and dome - you are really stocking a great variety lately.
The LC1 optics are a welcome addition to the Cree range and i'm very impressed with their performance compared to others i've tried.

Cheers
Dom

ocsi

Newly Enlightened
Hi Osci
:welcome:

There is a Cree R2 -but not available at the moment i don't think.
The difference between that and a Q5 would be negligible in this application.

Cheers
Dom

Thanks! I ordered the stuff today, 10200 optics and the R2's (price difference was cents), can't wait to mod!

dom

Enlightened
Hi Osci
Just a note with that optic if you won't be using the holder that comes with it.
It rocks on the Cree dome -so you will maybe have to put a small weight on it while it dries -unless you can level it without it tipping to the side.
You could even use some sticky tape to keep it centered while the silicone dries.

Cheers
Dom

dom

Enlightened
Well - i tried the Khatod 17mm Seoul stippled reflector and it looked crap -so i won't post that.

One thing i found is that you can use the optic out of the EOS headlamp on the Seoul -almost identical beam to the Seoul 10deg optic.

The Cree LC1-M optic i tried is very nice -comparable to the Carclo 10200 -maybe a little less bright.
Very happy with it all the same.
2387441954_87b6c05d24_o.jpg

I actually soldered the Cree in without disassembly - getting lots of practice :D

I have added a pic to the room shot post #26 and one to the table shot post #17

Cheers
Dom

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dom, and Stereodude - a question about optics vs. diffuser, since it can be hard to judge from pics.

I'm looking to mod one of these lanterns for indoors, and outdoors for the other. The indoors mod will definitely have the diffuser as it consistenly appears from all pics to have by far the most even distribution. I like how it gives nice upper-wall and ceiling bounce. However, that light would be wasted outdoors. For example, night time on an outside picnic table.

Obviously, the optic/reflector focuses much light directly sideways. But the question is, does the optic help throw more light downward to help light up a table surface?
I have some pictures taken from a much higher angle of the table top showing how each lights it up. I will post them later from work. It should help you see the answer to your question.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are the pictures as promised. As before, color balance, exposure, focus, etc were all constant across this set of picture. The exposure is not the same as either of the previous two sets of pictures.

Baseline:
laternbaselineab9.jpg

Stock Low:
lanternstocklow2tp2.jpg

Mod Low:
lanternmodlow2qx3.jpg

Stock High:
lanternstockhigh2up8.jpg

Mod High:
lanternmodhigh2qm8.jpg

Hope this helps.

Katdaddy

Enlightened
Now the most important question is; would either of you fine gentlemen be willing to do this mod for those of us with no modding skills whatsoever??

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now the most important question is; would either of you fine gentlemen be willing to do this mod for those of us with no modding skills whatsoever??
I guess so... I can do SSC P4 USX0H + Khatod 10 degree optic.

Last edited:

dom

Enlightened
One thing i noticed with the Ledil LC1-M Cree optic is it has the most artifact free beam of all the optics tested and throws more light downwards and a fraction less upwards.

This if probably because it has an overall longer length than the others.It also has a nice flat on the emitter side which sits and glues well to the Cree emitter ring.

There are now 2 places to get this from.

Brum should have more in stock soon i think.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=175502

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut789

Cheers
Dom

Duodec

Newly Enlightened
Menards (in Ill-annoy and other states) has extended their sale on these lanterns; $6.99 at the store, plus $3 each rebate (limit 2, coupon in the store, rebate is a store credit).

The one by me rearranged their flashlight section and the Sylvanias were definitely de-emphasized; they used to be up top but are now at the bottom (and sold out... wonder how that happened...) rather sounds like the person who was told these were going away soon was given the straight scoop.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, thanks for the extra pics and info! Both of you are doing some great stuff here. :rock:

Sounds like the LC1-M is exactly the ticket for my intended "outdoors" mod.

ocsi

Newly Enlightened
Well I received the R2's and the Optics, I was sort of expecting more for the cost of the optics, they're only plastic, anyway, I modded my first lantern, it took a few goes to properly solder the R2 to the base, the "-" had enough solder to re-solder but the "+" I had to add more solder, the silicon is currently drying so I'll get to test it tomorrow night, I was sort expecting the R2 to be brighter, though maybe because it's running off 4AA and not a CR123. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Darell

Flashaholic
Well I received the R2's and the Optics, I was sort of expecting more for the cost of the optics, they're only plastic
All optics for flashlights that I've ever dealt with are plastic. I wouldn't call them "only" plastic though - it is often the best material for the job.

I was sort expecting the R2 to be brighter, though maybe because it's running off 4AA and not a CR123. I'll take some pics tomorrow.
4x AA is more voltage than a CR123 certainly. And regardless of the battery that feeds it, the buck circuit is going to determine the brightness of the emitter by controlling the amount of current that it sees.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have any of you discovered the super secret red lantern mode/mod?
If you have you know what I speak of but may never admit it.:whistle:

I have tried a Cree in 3 different lanterns and low flickers in all, p4/q5 it makes no difference.
These little guys have caused me to call into question my basic modding skills..............:banghead: :laughing:

Last edited:

Darell

Flashaholic
Have any of you discovered the super secret red lantern mode/mod?
If you have you know what I speak of but may never admit it.:whistle:
Is that where you bleed all over the inside of the thing?

I have tried a Cree in 3 different lanterns and low flickers in all, p4/q5 it makes no difference.
These little guys have caused me to call into question my basic modding skills..............:banghead: :laughing:

Oops. Bring it by next time you're in the area and we'll see if we can't figure it out!

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that where you bleed all over the inside of the thing?

No, its where you install the Osram backwards, first button push=red low, second button push= red high :sssh:

Oops. Bring it by next time you're in the area and we'll see if we can't figure it out!

I might have to take you up on that, your kung fu is way better.:D