Tactical Flashlights becoming stale?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
but doesn't being tactical sometimes require a really low mode? like for sneaking up on people in terrain and making sure you don't snap a twig etc?

Ha ha! That's freaking hilarious! :crackup:

Then again, if you're being serious instead of sarcastic; this post is going to make me look like an @$$! :grin2:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as a low Low goes, it's not needed on a true tactical light. I think Surefire messed up with the E1B by offering such a low level, and by having it controlled with a forward-clickie. For it to be tactical, it would have one output, (bright as can be) and a z68 tailcap. So you have a physical barrier to prevent clicking the light on, if you just want to use momentary on.

Meh, I wish they would take the "tactical" out of it's name and let it live up to it's name: Backup.

The NYPD didn't design it to be tactical, but to be a backup to carry. Maybe tactical level light, but with two modes, it's not a tactical use light.

but doesn't being tactical sometimes require a really low mode? like for sneaking up on people in terrain and making sure you don't snap a twig etc?

No. You would grab soem NVGs and put an IR filter on an incandescent :)

Look at some of SureFires forward grip lights. Squeeze pressure pads for momentary on which is for tactical use. Then you press the back of the light for momentary on like when a threat is netralized (not killed, but the threat has ceased). Then a button on the top of the grip that is low level navigation lights like what you are refering too.

It would be hard to have a tactical light that was handheld that could do anything similar unless you can do hand tricks I'm not aware of.

__

To the OP. Tactical lights are all stale. Tactical means one thing, simple, easy to use, reliable, single stage (unless changing modes was done by something other than cycling the tailcap), and easy to manipulate with a gun if that's an option you need.

Only one way to really achieve this without going tacti-cool.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have more than a little experience sneaking up on people in the dark. And, people have snuck up on me even more.

You definitely don't want any light whatsoever, from a stealth standpoint, but sometimes other issues must overrule. In those cases, you might want a very dim light that might burn you in the immediate room or area, but not further. It's not necessary that one flashlight do it all however. In fact, from a safety standpoint, it's better that the ultra low stealth light be completely separate from any standard brightness lights--not just another button, but unable to produce anything but .5 lumens or whatever. Take it from experience.

FLT MEDIC

Newly Enlightened
The Gladius and Insight Typhoon H2X have all the features a tactical light should have, all of which can be accessed one-handed through its rotary dial switch at the tailcap:

1. Momentary ON at full brightness.

2. Momentary Strobe.

3. Continuous ON with adjustable brightness level and it also memorizes the last brightness level.

4. Lock out or system off mode.

5. Automatic temperature control and shutdown.

6. Low battery power indication (2 flashes every 15 seconds).

7. Waterproof up to 50 meters.

8. Weapon Mountable - shock won't change its current mode.

9. Contact Free Switching – no contacts to wear out.

10. Plastic tailcap button - no rubber boot to replace.

11. Grip ring or flange for syringe grip.

(Does all that a Surefire forward grip light can do and more. No cycling of the tailcap to adjust modes.)

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have more than a little experience sneaking up on people in the dark. And, people have snuck up on me even more.

You definitely don't want any light whatsoever, from a stealth standpoint, but sometimes other issues must overrule. In those cases, you might want a very dim light that might burn you in the immediate room or area, but not further. It's not necessary that one flashlight do it all however. In fact, from a safety standpoint, it's better that the ultra low stealth light be completely separate from any standard brightness lights--not just another button, but unable to produce anything but .5 lumens or whatever. Take it from experience.

Quoted for truth.

You also have to remember that when the dog droppings hit the fan, your mental capacity shrinks rapidly. Reflexes and muscle memory and (with apologies to varying religious beliefs) a screaming primate trying to climb a tree is about all you have left.

Which is why "keep it as simple as possible to minimize what can go wrong" is a fundamental concept. And another reason why I always keep a tac light separate from a work light - I never have to wonder what setting I left my tac light on. I don't have to worry all that much if I drained the batteries a little too much while hunting for that extra pair of socks. I don't need to worry about triggering a 200 lumen light burst when I needed a 2 lumen light. Or vice versa.

Tactical lights are stale because at this point, there isn't too much you can do to re-invent the wheel. And still make enough of a profit on that re-invented wheel to justify the research, production and marketing costs.

-Trevor

Dan FO

Enlightened
In my way of thinking a true tactical light should have a dead man switch. The new Surefire LX2 is perfect in that regard. I can't think of any manufacturer except Surefire that has this feature, the G2L has a dead man switch and is often used because of it. Clickies just are not ideal in that environment.

Dan FO

Enlightened
You mean twist momentary? A lot of companies besides SF have them...

No, press for momentary and twist to stay on. The McGizmo PD is another example. Meaning it can't be clicked on and when you remove your thumb from the switch button the light goes out. In high stress situations the dead man switch is a real plus.

Marduke

Flashaholic
No, press for momentary and twist to stay on. The McGizmo PD is another example. Meaning it can't be clicked on and when you remove your thumb from the switch button the light goes out. In high stress situations the dead man switch is a real plus.

That's a twist momentary...

Quite common.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
Everything depends on what your tacticool mission requirements are. Tactical doesn't define a single requirement. Some might need NVG's, some might need a momentary 15 lumen low.

Personally, I use a SF A2 with blue LED's for minimal illumination sneaking around, with the ability to immediately transition to full white light if necessary without switching lights/hands. The ability for immediate white light is more important to my mission than an accidental light discharge.

Others may need it for something as simple as walking the dog with the ability to illuminate a patch of lawn to avoid stinky surprises.

Figure out what you are trying to do and find tools that you can use to accomplish your goals.

Dennis.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we will see more improvements with the interface of the lights. Something where you can program your digital camera for different settings lights will have some type of interface where you can change settings.
Maybe there will be some integration with other devices like GPS.
Way too many things to fail. No thanks. Current manufacturers already have enough problems getting a simple tailcap and a set of screws to work properly...

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a twist momentary...

Quite common.
Quite common where? Most chinese lights are either reverse click (99% of them) or click-on with momentary function (chinese premium lights). The only other quality brand with a Surefire-like tailcap is the old Inova X series.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally agree that a Tactical light should be just that - something simple to use to blind other people and nothing else. I personally don't really need to blind other people - except for fun - but I do go camping and love to walk at night. For that reason, I make sure I have something that will put out blinding light without fumbling, as soon as I turn it on, in case I come across a bear or something infuriated that is bigger than me (even a wild turkey can scare you into a lower than monkey I.Q.)

However, I see and feel the need for something that is similarily strong and efficient, that can be used for sock hunting and reading (0.5 lumen) and keep the fun alive with the car headlight type of power and has the same quality throw a good tactical light has (250 lumen up, with everything in between for normal activities). Most lights that come close to this only come close : they only started recently offering the low low, but most still don't have the nice throwing power tactical lights offer. They still are fun lights to play with (I won't throw away my LD20 or my PD30 anytime soon), but I think it wouldn't be a big stretch to make a slightly bigger reflector and put a brand new LED in them.

What I think people are looking for now is something that is somewhat a hybrid in between Tactical and EDC. This IS a flashaholic passion, right?

While we're at it, I would also throw in red and green colored filters and why not offer both tailstand and tactical type switches? I think it's all about the ultimate flashlight, but chances are none of us will stop there... there will always be stronger and more options to add to it... In my case, I'm trying not to have to carry dozens with me all the time anymore... 2 flashlights should be able to cover all types of eventualities...

Bushman5

Enlightened
I would like to see the lumens ramped WAAAAAAY up, and the strobe brightness ramped up as well. 1000+ lumens for the HIGH, 300 for low, and 3000- - 5000 lumens for the Strobe.

This would fill my needs perfectly.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything depends on what your tacticool mission requirements are. Tactical doesn't define a single requirement. . .

Figure out what you are trying to do and find tools that you can use to accomplish your goals.

I agree and initially wrote a much longer post about this. I have about 6 low light tactics I've gradually developed and each has it's own different light.

Unarmed search--Wolf Eyes Boxer 24W HID
Unarmed ambush/sudden contact (vehicle or pedestrian stop, for example)--Surefire M6 (due to the Boxer's 20 second warm up time)
Armed ambush/sudden contact (high risk vehicle or pedestrian stop, respond to officer under attack)--Surefire X-300
Long range search/spot and coordination with other assets--Costco HID and Greatland green laser pointer
Low observable stealth--Novatac 120 low low
Off duty and all other on duty tasks like handcuffing--Nightcore Extreme

In very dark areas, I use NVG's for everything except the last one in concert with all of these lights, lasers, IR illuminator, or no lights as the situation dictates. I don't actually use terms like "unarmed ambush/sudden contact" in my own mind. I just think, "Here they come, no weapons, Surefire M6, lockout disabled, check. IR illuminator on." Or, "Bravo 4 has some problem children. Get the X-300 on the gun and contact them."

These are just specific to my job and situation. They don't necessarily translate to Afghanistan or even South Central Los Angeles.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I strongly disagree.

Have you overlooked the necessity for tactical lights to be reliably simple to use?

Multi-modes are great and very handy for general use but when the chips are down you don't want to be 'thinking' about which mode the light was ON last, trying to cycle through modes to achieve the level you require OR needing to use 2 hands to reconfigure the light :thumbsup:

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
I agree and initially wrote a much longer post about this. I have about 6 low light tactics I've gradually developed and each has it's own different light.

These are just specific to my job and situation. They don't necessarily translate to Afghanistan or even South Central Los Angeles.

Sounds like you have your Mission defined! You are correct that it doesn't translate to LE work in South Central LA as unfortunately I can't carry all that stuff on me... :(

I use the blue LEDs on an A2 for sneaking around buildings so I can look inside for bad guys. Instant white light is nice for if I actually run into one. Even more tactical white light is available on the X300 attached to my Glock. A quiglite on my body armor is good for tactical note taking.

As a true flashaholic, I have more lights and NVG in the car, but usually just go with what I got on me.

Dennis.

Latest posts