Take a TnC Survey! Let us know what YOU want!

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris,
I am a big fan of your products but not of those darn Zoomerang polls.

That said, I would strongly recommend going with 123's over cr2's as a power source. The 123's are more readily available in general and there are more sources for low-priced, high-quality 123's than there are for cr2's.

Also, 123's have a huge advantage in energy-density over the cr2's. For example check out these Run-Time Plots - Fire~Fly II-CR2 by Roy and this_is_nascar. Roy's Fire~Fly runs three times as long with a 123 as it does with a cr2. TIN gets a bit over twice the runtime with a 123 as he does with a cr2. The slightly smaller size of the cr2 just doesn't make up for its disadvantages.

For similar reasons, I would also recommend sticking with AAA powered lights over n-cell powered ones. AAA's are cheaper, easier to come by, and store more energy than n-cells. Rechargeable AAA's are much easier to find than rechargeable n-cells and don't require any adaptor or special charger. Also, you can now get lithium AAA's. The slightly shorter length of the n-cell just doesn't make up for the advantages of the AAA (plus the AAA is thinner).

Pat

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be coming out with a CR2 or CR123 light fairly soon. As for the key-Lux N-Cell, I might switch this to a AAA-Cell light and make adapters for people that would like a shorter light they can use the N-Cell. The N-Cell is about .500 shorter than the AAA. I was looking for what battery types people are interested in. Now I have some input. I think the AAA would be a much more usable light using the AAA instead of N-Cells.

When I come out with the CR123 powered light I will also make a battery tube for people that want to use a CR2 battery.

Chris

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I was a little surprised. When I ordered mine, the website said there were 3 available, then I find out I won't get mine till possibly January. Not cool. I would have waited, or maybe picked up one on B/S/T or bought something else.

Prolepsis

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
TnC_Products said:
When I come out with the CR123 powered light I will also make a battery tube for people that want to use a CR2 battery.

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris:

Thank you for taking the time to ask and listen to our suggestions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This may or may not be cost effective, but a light designed around a CR2 (not a CR123 with a CR2 battery option) would help make the light as small as possible.
For example, with the FireFly II, the head bulges a bit when you use the CR2 battery--after all, the head is designed for something that wider than the CR2.

That's my take, anyhow, since for one cells, I want something that is as small/thin as possible.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
The CR2 formfactor permits a cylindrical flashlight which will drop into the battery compartments of most 123A lights. With an aperature of .53" and cut down so17xa reflector, the resulting length can be less than 2", which includes a full 1/8" for lanyard attachment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Larry

Luciferase

Newly Enlightened
I personally have zero interest in a CR2-based light. I'd be potentially interested in a CR123-based light, but only if it had a dual-output beam, reflector, and a form factor akin to the Arc LS with twisty. I'd potentially be interested in an AAA-based light.

What I *would* be interested in is bigger lights. I'd love to have a Lux3 light with reflector and dual-level beam running on 3 C cells. Similar for Lux5 running on C or D cells. I'd also be interested in a 2xAA Lux3 light with reflector and dual-level beam. (Yeah, basically I'm looking for Elektrolumens lights with reflectors and better build quality. Nothing against Wayne; I'd just see them in slightly different niches. Wayne's stuff is decent quality for the price, whereas I'd want something that is very good with no "for the price" qualifier.)

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
There\'s plenty of CR2 flashlight interest

There seems to be plenty of interest in a CR2-based flashlight in this thread.

After reading Roy's FireFly2 runtime thread, I'm not as enthusiastic about a CR2... (check out this_is_nascar's graph!)

Run-Time Plot - Fire~Fly II-CR2

I think most users want a pocket light that's as small as possible. Some people would be willing to sacrifice runtime to achieve the teeny tiny CR2 form factor, but I'd guess that most people who would be willing to spend a triple digit figure on a light would prefer extended runtime, unless the size difference is major (e.g. LarryLight CR2)

LarryLight CR2

Maybe a small-as-possible CR123 light (along the lines of DSpeck's FireFly) would be a reasonable compromise?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: There\'s plenty of CR2 flashlight interest

I still can't understand why no one has mass produced, (at least along the lines of the VIP or Lionheart) a high quality CR2 light.

Larry's lights are the ultimate as far as I am concerned, and yet he hasn't been able to make them available in any significant numbers.

I've tried everything to wheedle one out of someone who has one on of Larry's lights and had no success, which is a testament to Larry's craftsmanship and to the individuals desire to have a light this size.

The constant, top to bottom same size of Larry's light is the hook as far as I'm concerned. The smaller body, large head idea negates that, so lights based on 123's with CR2 bodies just don't have much appeal.

For a pocket light, runtime is a secondary issue for me, and I suspect for most. I want a light that will run long enough to handle unexpected problems, and/or get me to my vehicle or house to get more lights/batteries. Generally speaking, 20 minutes is more than sufficient for that. Anything more is gravy!

I would love to be the one to do it, but small lights are far beyond my skills, I'm your basic large bodied, (in more ways than one!) hotwire guy. And even that is tough!

A high quality, reasonably priced CR2 light is my dream light for EDC, until then, I'll carry my VIP and my A2.

Bill

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Bill, you and I differ with runtime requirements in an EDC. For me, an EDC MUST have as much runtime as possible. Consider why you would carry a light 24x7. For me it's convenience, but more importantly, in case of emergency. To me, carrying a light could be the difference between life and death. The CR2 cells just don't cut it, as proven by the various tests I've performed. Now, if you're carrying something along the lines of an Arc-AAA, Peak-AAA, Infinity, etc as a backup, then that's great. You have the extended runtime that one my need. If you're banking on EDC'ing only a CR2 light, then I have serious concerns.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

TIN,

Aren't emergencies just that, emergencies?

I recognize that there may be people who need more than 20 minutes of runtime in an emergency, and certainly there are lots of lights in the 123 class that fit that bill.

However, for me, I am NEVER more than 20 minutes from my vehicle/home where I have extra lights and/or batteries. Generally with much more lightpower than ANY EDC could provide.

I wear business clothes, where even the twisty tailed VIP hardly fits inconspicuously. One of Larry's CR2 lights would, and no one would know. Heck, I could carry an extra 2 cells in a pen shaped carrier and no one would notice. But add the bulk necessary for a 123 and "whats the sausage in your pocket for?" becomes an obvious question.

I realize that not everyone needs/wants the small size that a CR2 allows, but there are literally hundreds of 1 and 2 cell 123 lights that fit those needs easily.

Name ONE high quality CR2 light that is WIDELY available, (not a special run, order one time only light) and of the same quality as an E1 or E2, L1 or L2, VIP, LionHeart, etc.

I can't find one! This would be my light of choice for special gifts, etc. But it just doesn't exist!

Bill

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was taking the survey, but at the end I noticed that if you had any questions you should e-mail ImagoMetrics... This is the same company of the Aten_Imago fame that was banned here, isn't it?

Since I did not submit the survey there, I'd have to say a nice, ergonomic light about the size of the Arc LS would be a nice light, operable with one hand. CR123 batteries seem to provide good runtime for the size.

javafool

Enlightened
That is why the 200 mA drivers was such an important addition to the line of flashlights for me. A power provided by AAA or CR2 batteries provides a good amount of light for several hours burn time. The 'N' cells were close but fell just a little short on power.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
Bill, you and I differ with runtime requirements in an EDC. For me, an EDC MUST have as much runtime as possible. Consider why you would carry a light 24x7. For me it's convenience, but more importantly, in case of emergency. To me, carrying a light could be the difference between life and death. The CR2 cells just don't cut it, as proven by the various tests I've performed. Now, if you're carrying something along the lines of an Arc-AAA, Peak-AAA, Infinity, etc as a backup, then that's great. You have the extended runtime that one my need. If you're banking on EDC'ing only a CR2 light, then I have serious concerns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray, did you by chance do a runtime test on that light I sent on low beam? kj posted 20 hours to 50% lux.

Larry

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

Marty, I ordered my Key-Lux AA last week. The website said there were 3 available. A couple days later, after no shipping confirmation, I emailed TnC, and asked when it would be shipped. They said it would be probably next month because not all the parts were in or something to that effect. I'm just a little miffed that it said 3 were available when actually there weren't any available. I guess I'll just have to wait.

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast

Please, if you want to talk about the Key-lux AA go to the New key-Lux AA Coming Soon Forum. I won't be replying to anything about the AA here.

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got my sample converter for the NEW single CR123 light. Now I just need to design my light around the converter. This should power the LED at around 550-600mA using the single CR123.

Chris

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
TnC CR123 light

It would be presumptuous and rude to ask, but I'll do it anyway... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Is the TnC CR123 light's form factor closer to the FireFly (i.e. as small and thin as possible), or to the Arc LS (i.e. reasonably small, but solid and durable)?

I don't mind extra length for a reflector. A FireFly-thin light with that distinctive TnC look would be great!

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: TnC CR123 light

I usually like to make my lights solid and durable but as thin and small as possible. We will have to see how it comes out. I have to design it around the converter

Latest posts