Tenergy 124 charger ?

mikehill

Enlightened
Hi guys,
I have 4 Tenergy 3v protected batts and a silver 2 bay Tenergy charger. The charger has a sticker on it saying only use with 3v batts, even though on the back it says 4.4v. Will it not fully charge another 2 3.7v 123's I have ? If not which cheap charger would you recommend for them ?
Thanks, Mike.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Mike,

Some of the 3 volt cells have a voltage step down circuit attached to them. They start out as a normal 3.7 volt cell, then the step down circuit drops the voltage down.

Since a normal 3.7 volt charger is fully charged at 4.2 volts, the step down circuit makes it impossible to get a full charge on those cells with a normal Li-Ion charger. So, they supply chargers that go to a higher voltage.

If you charge a normal 3.7 volt cell to a voltage above 4.2 volts, you will ruin your cell and run the risk of experiencing a "rapid venting with flame" incident.

The Pila IBC charger is a charger with good value...

Tom

mikehill

Enlightened
Hi Tom, thanks for the reply :) I'll check the voltages today. I presume there's no chance of my chargers overcharging the 3.7v batts as they are designed for 3v anyway ? I'll look into the Pila !