The 2013 Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List

Status
Not open for further replies.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: The 2013 Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast Your Vote!

Here are my current votes ...

Surefire C2 / Malkoff M61HCRI
Surefire A2 / calipsoii (2-color) MultiMode ring
Peak Logan 17500 / cool white & red Cree versions
Peak Eiger 10180 / Nichia 119 & red Cree versions
McGizmo SunDrop XR-U / Nichia 119

... very difficult for me to leave off other amazing torches, like the vintage Ra 85Tr and the brand-new Fire-Foxes FF3, but the rules do say 5 is the limit :eek:

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

1 ~ SureFire C2

2 ~ SureFire L1

3 ~ Maratac AAA model

thaugen

Enlightened

Mac's Customs EDC Titanium XML (neutral, 2.8 mAh)
HDS Rotary 200 (for maximum runtimes and efficiency)
HDS Rotary Neutral (for beautiful tint)
Surefire C2 (bored, McClicky and Malkoff Drop-in of choice)
Zebralight H31W (for handsfree usage)
Zebralight H502d (for your AA handsfree floodlight needs)

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

OP updated with all votes. :popcorn:

Here are my current votes ...

Surefire C2 / Malkoff M61HCRI
Surefire A2 / calipsoii (2-color) MultiMode ring
Peak Logan 17500 / cool white & red Cree versions
Peak Eiger 10180 / Nichia 119 & red Cree versions
McGizmo SunDrop XR-U / Nichia 119

... very difficult for me to leave off other amazing torches, like the vintage Ra 85Tr and the brand-new Fire-Foxes FF3, but the rules do say 5 is the limit :eek:

Got 'em added. Since the SF C2 is a vote, and the M61 is a vote, that counts for 2 votes. So, all were added with the exception of the McGizmo since that would take you to 6 votes. If you want to change the order and add the McGizmo instead, let me know and I'll make the change. Thanks!

Mac's Customs EDC Titanium XML (neutral, 2.8 mAh)
HDS Rotary 200 (for maximum runtimes and efficiency)
HDS Rotary Neutral (for beautiful tint)
Surefire C2 (bored, McClicky and Malkoff Drop-in of choice)
Zebralight H31W (for handsfree usage)
Zebralight H502d (for your AA handsfree floodlight needs)

Hi thaugen - these have been added. I added 1 vote for the HDS Rotary. Even though you have two with different emitters, I am not adding variations of a light according to tint. If I did that, instead of having a list of different models, I would have a list of a lot of duplicate models with endless LED variations. For instance, we could have 5 entries for the Foursevens Mini123 alone - one in warm, neutral, cool, G2, XP-E, etc., etc.....we're not going that route. Since you had 6 on your list but 2 only counted for 1 vote, they were all added.

Lots of votes for Zebralights.. I'm going to have to break down and get me one soon...

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

SureFire C2 takes the top spot! And I have a feeling it won't be going anywhere anytime soon...

archimedes

Flashaholic

Got 'em added. Since the SF C2 is a vote, and the M61 is a vote, that counts for 2 votes. So, all were added with the exception of the McGizmo since that would take you to 6 votes. If you want to change the order and add the McGizmo instead, let me know and I'll make the change. Thanks!

:oops: sorry I misunderstood .... In that case, perhaps change the M61 to the Malkoff M30W instead?

I use that one in a different host, but now I understand that you are listing these separately :sssh:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

:oops: sorry I misunderstood .... In that case, perhaps change the M61 to the Malkoff M30W instead?

I use that one in a different host, but now I understand that you are listing these separately :sssh:

No problem! I have tried to keep this list and the voting process as simple as possible, but there are way too many variables and options with lights. But I guess that's what makes this a great hobby!

Vote changed to M30. Thanks!

AnotherADDiction

Newly Enlightened

I agree with the Captain and others above
A2 (koala ring) - took it out and realized that I have a Strion kit in it also :)
C2 - bored, McClicky
I will add my new love...Quantum DD (w/trit) - one of my favorite keychain lights, great design/craftsmanship, and price
HDC Clicky w/Moddoo Ti clip - my favorite Edc, feels great in hand, clip is amazing, bombproof. Mine is a TechnoClicky (XP-G mod by Techno Cowboy - neutral)
i guess my fifth choice will be a Malkoff drop-in for the C2. Absolute reliability, must have (can't decide my favorite one). I think I will agree with Archimedes - M30W, versitile (I haven't tried a nichia HCRI yet)

Last edited:

Ian2381

Enlightened

DQG AA Stainless, Smallest AA light with great high and low modes. My Best Keychain light since joining this forum. :)
Thrunite T10 - Small AA light with great mode spacing, love the fact it have a bright High, Usefull low with long runtime and Firefly/Moon mode.
zebralight H600w- My Best Headlamp so far, all rounder HL.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast

As far as lights that actually came out in 2012?

Quantum DD
Surefire Fury P2X

Ummmm...

I think the flashlight community needs to start a "Flashlight Award" program with a prize of some sort - divide them out into categories and offer badges such as "CPF Forum Keychain Light of the Year 2012" - like the knife guys do (Best Imported Folder, etc). It will help drive competition and we all know what competition does for industry...

Esko

Enlightened

Well, I have a dozen of lights and I am not going to sell any of them. Considering the specs, I am not sure if any of them could be nominated though.

However, considering the first two rules("It has to be a must-have for you" and "It must be specific light") and forgetting the time frame ("List an annual list, so that manufacturers cannot keep a spot on the list due to past successes.), I would say 4Sevens Preon ReVO. The stainless version, of course... A very good small flashlight. It is a specific light also because it is my first high quality led light, so, it will stay on my future lists, too.

I also think that a flashaholic should have a headlamp made by Spark or Zebralight (personally have 2+2). No preferences on specific model (or manufacturer) though, so, I guess I don't vote any.

If something exceptional is released in 2013 and I have enough time to use it longer (to gain trust and confidence), I will vote it later.

Btw, you have both Zebralight H502d and H502c in our list. It is basically the same light, only with a different emitter. Also the letter "w" in ZL H31w refers to the emitter ("warm"). If different emitters are separated in Zebralight models, I think it should be done with other flashlights, too. For example, 4Sevens MiNi 123 High Cri, HDS EDC High Cri and McGizmo 3S Ti Mule Nichia 119 are voted but there is no separate high cri or Nichia models listed.

-> Shao

Nice to see you back. :)

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

As far as lights that actually came out in 2012?

Quantum DD
Surefire Fury P2X

Ummmm...

I think the flashlight community needs to start a "Flashlight Award" program with a prize of some sort - divide them out into categories and offer badges such as "CPF Forum Keychain Light of the Year 2012" - like the knife guys do (Best Imported Folder, etc). It will help drive competition and we all know what competition does for industry...

I think this is a great idea! The only issues is getting the community to agree on the categories. What I consider a "keychain" light is a AAA or smaller. There are many that will carry just about any size light as an EDC, and would practically consider a 6P a keychain light. It wouldn't be impossible, but would take some doing. I may put out a thread to figure out how to firm up some parameters around a few main categories. Unless someone else would like to take a stab at this...:whistle:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I have a dozen of lights and I am not going to sell any of them. Considering the specs, I am not sure if any of them could be nominated though.

However, considering the first two rules("It has to be a must-have for you" and "It must be specific light") and forgetting the time frame ("List an annual list, so that manufacturers cannot keep a spot on the list due to past successes.)...

I just want to be clear in case my opening post is confusing. There is NOT a restriction on what year a light was made to be eligible for a vote. It could be a 20 year old light and no longer made, but you feel like it is a true "must-have" for you. It can definitely go on the list. The point I was making by the statement "manufacturers cannot keep a spot on the list due to past successes" was that this list is now an annual list, so it is restarted fresh each year. So, if a manufacturer has not made any updates, upgrades, redesign, etc. to a previous popular light, it may or may not still make the Must-Have list. It can still be voted for, but it won't just remain on the list indefinitely since the list starts fresh each year.

Hopefully that clears this up.

Btw, you have both Zebralight H502d and H502c in our list. It is basically the same light, only with a different emitter. Also the letter "w" in ZL H31w refers to the emitter ("warm"). If different emitters are separated in Zebralight models, I think it should be done with other flashlights, too. For example, 4Sevens MiNi 123 High Cri, HDS EDC High Cri and McGizmo 3S Ti Mule Nichia 119 are voted but there is no separate high cri or Nichia models listed.

-> Shao

Nice to see you back. :)

Thanks for pointing this out. I have been away a while (blades - horrible addiction (LightGuy on Bladeforums)), and in my haste to update the list I didn't look up a couple of the lights and didn't realize the only difference was the emitter. The list has been corrected to fix this - thanks for keeping me honest.

And thanks Shao - it's good to be back!

Last edited:

CreeCrazy

Newly Enlightened
The 2013 Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast Your Vote!

Right Now Jetbeam RRT01. I have a feeling the new Zebralight SC52 will be next on my list, but for now its gotta be the RRT01.
1) Jetbeam RRT-01
2) Zebralight SC52
3) Eagletac D25A XP-G2

Last edited:

Lantos

Newly Enlightened

1 - Zebralight Sc600W - sits in my rucksack on every hike

2 - Niteye Eye10 - currently my most widely used EDC light

3 - Petzl Nao - the ultimate headlamp

4 - HDS Clicky HIGH CRI (with Seoul Led) - my old friend who is always there for me

5 - Solarforce P1 / Nailbender Nichia 219 drop-in - the workhorse

Last edited:

davidwestonh

Newly Enlightened

Hds 120 edc
Hds 120 hi-cri
Surefire a2
Surefire e2dl
surefire e2e imr

And if I was allowed a sixth it would be zebralight h60, my edc bumped out headlamps
must have headlamps needs its own list.

Ragnar66

Enlightened

HDS Rotary Tactical
3 D Cell mag with Malkof drop
Maelstrom S18
Derrelight Nighthunter
Eagletac G25C2MK with color filters
Innova Florescent

The perfect group of duty lights

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened

1. 4/7 Quark X AA^2 tactical (QT2A-X)
2. 4//7 Quark AA tactical (QTA)
3. Jetbeam PA40 (Neutral is better in my opinion)
4. 4/7 Quark Turbo AA^2 (QB2A)
5. Olight i2

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

1. Mac's Tri-EDC (A truly amazing light)
2. Surefire Z2
3. HDS Rotary
4. Muyshondt Nautilus

chilitoma

Newly Enlightened

HDS Clicky -grate capability for setting optimization,dureble;
Surefire LX2 -good balance for throwing and size;
Nitecore D11 -AA with PD system;

Status
Not open for further replies.