The ABTOMAT Police Flashlight Collection

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inch-for-inch this has more whack that anything else in my collection. It's really not very large but it's very heavily built. I also noticed that, due to how it's constructed, if you had a couple of these lights you could do some pretty silly things--like have a 14AA light with a reflector on both ends.

xMo7OKX.jpg

IV7WNpJ.jpg

VQL0XSY.jpg

aq5HEqn.jpg

hWyWN8i.jpg

And another random photo--flashlight technology's come a long way in the last 40 years.
FmweAs3.jpg

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Kel-Lite 2C just like the one in your picture. Not my oldest light, but I used it camping, walking, working on the car, etc. It still has the original bulb. I removed the batteries long before they could leak. Nice dim light with an easy-to-use switch.

RStev

Newly Enlightened
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but wanted to thank you for sharing all the excellent pictures and knowledge. I love these combination baton/torches.

Ron

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. This thread'll be active as long as I'm collecting. And probably afterwards, since I imagine whoever buys them will have some new insight.

Just remembered I have an old book about using these lights for defense and combat. Gonna have to dig that out and post some pics.

Sparkey97

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for takng the time to photograph and share your collection. Great thread. I particularly like the Mag Instruments Vari-Beam. The '80s Mag-Lite. Being a girl, I like the splash of subtle colour.
That group shot rocks BTW!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pulled out my old Streamlight 3C light from when I did security in the latter 80's. My first one, in ~1985 is a 3C B-Lite with a worn out switch but could not find it for the time being. The (krypton?) bulb still works in the Streamlight. Curious that there are no brand markings, just a serial number. Astonishing to compare with today's torches.

What should I do with it? The protected switch B-Lite holds more sentimental value to me. Could I get a TerraLux LED for the Streamlight? Which one? Any advice would be much appreciated. They were both used extensively and served admirably.

CORRECTION: Was reading another thread. Found brand marking on tail cap. Norristown, PA and I think Barstow, CA. Can't tell for sure because of 'honor scars' on tail cap. Serial number: 0030268

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been a while. I have some interesting paperwork I really should get photos of for this thread. Also might have another B-Lite coming soon. I keep telling myself I'll sell off the entire collection and then I never get around to it...

Kitrobaskin, any PR-style LED dropin would work with the Streamlight. LED mods that require replacing parts of the light itself wouldn't work too well without customizing it.

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm alive! It's funny, I just remembered today that I created this thread because I took all the flashlights off the shelf to dust them and realized I'd be too lazy to take pictures of them again.

Anyway, back to business. Standard 2D B-Lite, new to me recently:
88MeUk8.jpg

Here's a fairly rare Kel-Lite. A later C-cell light with an enclosed metal switch and a medium head. Seldom seen--not sure if it came along very late or they just weren't popular:
EAUaBZO.jpg

Now a coupe cool books. First is "Defensive Tactics with Flashlights." It goes into great detail on both choosing a flashlight (to a CPF level of OCD) and how to fight with one. Surefire didn't come up with the idea of jamming flashlights into peoples' faces. It seems to have been sponsored by Mag-Lite just as the Magcharger was being introduced but it covers all the contemporary police light brands and their history:
7bpdeSb.jpg

9WfJXXa.jpg

KQOGPWS.jpg

ehMxBzM.jpg

And a similar but much smaller book by Don Keller himself. "Kel-Lite Manual of Defensive Tactics:"
JgodgcZ.jpg

9O21Qiv.jpg

RGuPTYy.jpg

That's all for now...

Last edited: