The great toilet seat debate

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
HonorKnight said:
I don't know for sure, but women get especially mad if they go to the bathroom in the middle of the night (it's dark and turning on the light hurts your eyes) and they sit down and "fall in'' the toilet. Face it, if you are in a hurry and need to sit down, you might not see that the seat is up. Yuck.
I got a very strong lecture when I was a kid about that one. From my mother. After she had "fallen in".

I solved the light problem the flashaholic way, using clear candlemaking gel, I mixed it with green glowpowder, since this stuff is self adhesive, I put 3 of them 2 inches diameter each in the bathroom mirror, just below the mirror light.

The glow from the last time the light went on lasts for the whole night, and with the eye calibrated for lowlight you can clearly find everything in the bathroom (white tiled).

And at our home if I go to the bathroom I leave the table up, and wifey do the oposite, she used to argue about this... but not anymore :nana:

Pablo

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman said:
I agree totally with Sub - it's a matter of housekeeping.

Do you leave your kitchen cupboards or drawers open?
Hmmm.... do you also close all the bedroom doors in the house too?

Years ago I used to close the air vents in whatever car I got assigned until I got a comment from someone on dayshift. When I thought about why I was subconsciously doing this I remembered seeing a horror movie as a child about bees coming through the air vents. Funny the things we retain. :aaa:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reminds me of the story......

Two guys. "Hey, JimmyBob, heard you got divorced".
"Yup. Turriblest housekeeper I ever saw."
"Huh. Whaddya mean?".
"Ahd come home from work. Sink be full of dirty dishes. Ahd have to go all the way to the bafroom to pee."

I can tell redneck jokes cause I are one.

LowWorm

Enlightened
Sub_Umbra said:
Keep the seat AND the lid down. It's bad enough when you go over to someone's house and their dog plants a big, sloppy, wet kiss on you...just keep the seat AND the lid down, please!

Second vote for Sub_Umbra.

Might be a little more work when you get there, but hard work is what turns boys into men, right? ;)

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
In spite of my first post, my primary concern with keeping the toilet closed is parasites from pets. IIRC 60% of households in the States have pets. I remember a few years ago there were ads on TV (where else?) for a kit that would enable you to teach your cat to use the toilet -- YOUR toilet. I don't think I have a germ or parasite phobia -- but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'm a high-mileage unit and the last thing I need to do is share a toilet with a cat.

Don't get me wrong. I love my cat. If anything were to happen to him I'd be crushed. Seriously crushed. But we're not going to share the potty. It's sort of the same with dogs. They've got they're own parasites to share...and I'm not up to it.

I've been told by a vet that you really can't blame a dog for drinking out of a toilet -- it gets flushed so much that it can't help but be fresher than his water bowl no matter how many times you change it.

So we keep the seat and the lid down. As much of a hassle and an expense it is to treat the cat's parasites that will inevitably crop up, at least we may just treat him -- and not all three of us.
blue_light_special_6_cr.jpg

Sorry, couldn't help myself. That's Mr. Stinky II in the beam of a ~495nm Lux III modded 3xC M/\G made by IsaacHayes. The cat crawled into the beam on his own well into a runtime test. What a ham.

Last edited:

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I think the environment in which women lived in during the years prior to living with a S-O will condition their attitude on this issue. If the woman in question grew up sharing a bathroom with many brothers, and didn't spend a long period of time living alone or with other women only, then I have found that the toilet seat up/down issue is not such a big deal, she is conditioned to check first (just like a man does before dropping a duece).

If she is used to only sharing a bathroom with other women, or maybe only grew up with just one brother in the household, then she always was under ladie's rules and never developed the habit of checking.

My opinion: men always check first, why can't women learn this?

A related story: Many years ago when I was a boy living at home, my oldest sister and my mother bought a matching set of "cozies" for the toilet seat cover, tank cover, and tank. The cozies where so plush that the seat could not be stood up and stay, it always fell immediately. I did the aforementioned trick of just urinating through the hole in the seat and let the chips fall where they may. The cozies disappeared after a couple of months.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The theory that it's learned behavior is my conclusion too.

We also had, and also for a very short time, the carpeted seat covers that would never quite balance. I remember having to hold the stupid thing up so they wouldn't fall at the wrong moment. No way did a guy invent those ridiculous things.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
BF Hammer said:
..."cozies" for the toilet seat cover, tank cover, and tank...
Yep, my mother tried that...I'll probably get rocks thrown my way for saying this, "Who else but a woman would think of such a thing as those 'cute cozies'" LOL! :crackup:

Seems those "cozies" are just germ sponges/petri dishes anyways! At least one can wipe off a bare toilet seat...enough said!

I just want to get my business over and done with...don't need to be lolly-gagging around feeling all "too comfortable" and such...ABSOLUTELY enough said! Didn't I say that once already?

The "things" that come up on the CPF! :ohgeez:

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Interesting" topic. We should all learn to close both the seat and the lid. I heard that whenever you flush the toilet, minute specks of water/germs are sprayed into the air--into your bathroom, onto your clothes, etc. So, the "experts" say you should always close the seat and lid BEFORE flushing. And I would leave it closed...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: The great toliet seat debate

Our commode does not even have a lid, so I guess everything becomes contaminated every time somebody flushes it. :eek:

I go by the old saying "If it's mellow let it yellow; if it's brown flush it down".
I only flush after #2, or when the bowl is too full of toliet paper whether I go #2 or not.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashfan said:
"Interesting" topic. We should all learn to close both the seat and the lid. I heard that whenever you flush the toilet, minute specks of water/germs are sprayed into the air--into your bathroom, onto your clothes, etc. So, the "experts" say you should always close the seat and lid BEFORE flushing. And I would leave it closed...

It's true. If you ever sat on a toilet while flushing it you can feel lots of little drops hitting you. So if you flush with the lid open they hit the walls or floor.

I grew up in a house where we always closed the lid. The toilet had one of those two-pole cabinets over it and you didn't want to drop things in the toilet. So I've never had a fight with my wife over what the proper position for the seat and lid is.

Greg

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:
As it is, I have PIR battery lights in each toilet anyway, helps with aiming.

(No, I don't aim at the light !!)

This just gave me a fun idea... How about a target that is projected onto the bottom of the bowl? Fun, right? (chuckling a bit)

If I can remember, I put it back down, but if I don't, oh well. One thing I do always do, however, is wipe the rim of the bowl if I dribble on it, which, for some unexplainable reason, happens quite often.

Child - "Mom, I want to lick the bowl.."
Mother - "Shut up and flush the toilet!"

Just something I remember reading in a joke book when I was a kid...

Edit:
Jumpmaster, what's TMI?

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Explanation for Trashman:
TooMuchInformation!!!!!
Question for self: "Why am I still reading this thread?" :ohgeez: