The "LarryK12" 12,000 torch lumens (now 14!)

larryk

Enlightened
Re: The "LarryK12"

If you don't care about the color and have no use for the 5 amp SLA battery, you can buy the same light in gray without the battery for $ 7.99,
ITEM 90247-2VGA

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The "LarryK12"

I just realized the funny coincidence.. the '12' in the LK12 meant 12 thousand lumens.. and "K" also means thousand.. just a coincidence that K is larry's name... I think i might use that backwards nomenclaure on a future light.. i.e the "K18" if it outputs 18,000L that's kinda cool.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Re: The "LarryK12" 12,000 torch lumens

I have to admit, I'm unenlightened regarding hotwires, but what is the disadvantage to using 3 9V SLAs in series instead of all those expensive lithiums -space issues notwithstanding? How would the runtime compare?

Bernie

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

SLA come in steps of 6V. a set of five might run from 30V but the batteries would be bigger than the light and certainly heavier.

andrewwynn said:
SLA come in steps of 6V. a set of five might run from 30V but the batteries would be bigger than the light and certainly heavier.

600W is right around the wattage of an overhead projector and its gonna definitely need a cooling fan.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

not needed at all.. the heat goes out the front... bat runs out before it's needed

mdocod

Flashaholic

i'm definetally going to have to keep an eye on this project... I'm very interested in a light over 10,000 lumens, just never thought I'd be abel to afford it- sounds like I might be able to afford it afterall.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Budget about $180-200 and it's doable, don't expect it to be $15.99... batteries, charging system, $30 for a bulb, it does add up.

-awr

mdocod

Flashaholic

$200 isn't bad, considering this thing is probably significantly brighter than any 35-50W HID available, and possibly as bright or brighter than the very expensive 75W options, and probably brighter than a maxabeam...

I just had an idea.... what about the 28V li-ion pack with molicel cells made for milwalkee 28V tools- are those packs regulated in any way? or would they be higher voltage (too high) fresh off the charger? should be goof for about 7-8 minuts i think.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

mdocod said:
$200 isn't bad, considering this thing is probably significantly brighter than any 35-50W HID available, and possibly as bright or brighter than the very expensive 75W options, and probably brighter than a maxabeam...

I just had an idea.... what about the 28V li-ion pack with molicel cells made for milwalkee 28V tools- are those packs regulated in any way? or would they be higher voltage (too high) fresh off the charger? should be goof for about 7-8 minuts i think.

Your talking 20+ amps load. This is only acheivable with High quality Lithium Polymer cells like the Tanic Packs Larry used. I have a few Kokam 3s1p Lithium packs that will do 30amps continously but if you wanted not to push the cells HARD you would need a 2p battery pack.

Mac

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

the molicels blow away the capability of any LiPO pack.. they can output over 30C.. 100A.. however.. trying to run the light from the V28 pack.. voltage limiting is kicking in for God knows what reason and it's only outputting about 24.5V..

I have measured over 40A with the V28 pack and it was just getting warmed up.. they are 3AH cells also, which means taking the guts out of a v28 pack would probably get more voltage to the lamp than the 8-up of tanic packs.. with 50% more runtime to boot.. however it does not seem to want to run through the pack electronics for whatever reason.. seems to want an inductive load, or there is some communication going on between battery and tool.

The V28 packs are also a misnomer to be called that they should be called V25.9 since they are SEVEN CELL not 8 cell packs.. marketing morons.. grrr.

I was thinking of using the v28 molicells but i can get more power from a 24 pack of sub-c's for not much more $

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

OH.. btw.. in testing.. managed to WELD my 14ga solid copper wire to the spade lug on my power analyzer! It is quite awesome to see that lamp come on.. the v28 doesn't care at all about the 22A draw, but for some reason there was limiting going on.. so it's not a 'direct drive' situation with the V28 pack.. i'm going to get both my packs charged to try in parallel to see if at 12A it'll behave.. i can use two packs if i need to ;)

-awr

BVH

Flashaholic

Mike at CBP indicates that 24 Sub C 4200's will maintain above 1 volt @ a 22 amp draw which should be a partial amp above the theoretical load of the 600 Watt lamp @ 28 volts.

Can anyone give me the exact inside (usable) dimentions of the battery compartment of the HF spolight in question?

Is there a chance that 24 fresh SubC cells @ approx 33+ volts will blow the Q4559x lamp or will they sag enough to be ok?

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok learn something new everyday. Whats the details on the v28 pack?? Any links with Info??

Mac

BVH

Flashaholic

Got my 2 Q4559x and 1 4557 lamps today from Skygeek.com. I've never purchased nor seen actual high wattage landing lights before. When i open the shipping box, i noticed right away that the two Q lamp boxes had apparently been opened before and taped shut. Further inspection revealed that the factory GE box was marked Q4559 - without the X. Someone hand wrote the X under the factory part number. Upon opening these boxes, I noticed a white haze/residue on the glass around the terminals on both lamps and the terminal material looked like it had seen very high heat or arcing. I do not have a 28 volt source yet so I can't try them out. These things just look used. The lamps themselves are marked Q4559x.

The 4559 was sealed in the GE box but exhibits the exact same description as above.

Anyone have experiece in buying these GE lamps and by chance, experience with Skygeek.com?

FirstDsent

Enlightened

This is the flashlight equivalent of the minigun that Jesse Ventura used in the movie Predator

I want one (of each!)
Bernie

P.S. There's no such thing as rechargable ammunition, so aulthough runtime on the minigun is potentially longer, it would cost $tens of thousands to find out. I'll stick with the LK12

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

i'm still teetering back n forth if mine will run from v28cells extracted or use 24 NiMHs... or just made out of the v28 host lamp.. if i can figure out how to disable the ckt that is holding back voltage.

-awr

larryk

Enlightened

Yes, I installed a 35 amp toggle switch. I use the stock switch to turn my battery low voltage warning signal on and off.