The "LarryK12" 12,000 torch lumens (now 14!)

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The "LarryK12" 12,000 torch lumens

I would (will) use an FET for switching.. the stock switch is probably good for 10A at best.

-awr

FirstDsent

Enlightened

andrewwynn said:
I would (will) use an FET for switching.. the stock switch is probably good for 10A at best.

-awr
Awr,
What is a(n) FET? I have seen this switch referenced in your high-po light threads, but I don't get the EE lingo.

Bernie

Monolith

Enlightened

FirstDsent said:
Awr,
What is a(n) FET? I have seen this switch referenced in your high-po light threads, but I don't get the EE lingo.

Bernie
Field Effect Transistor

FirstDsent

Enlightened

Well, that gets me half way there. Thank you. What makes the FET better for high-amp use, and what is a common (intended) application for it?

Bernie

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

FET is the electronic equivalent of a relay. it uses a small control voltage to control a large amount of current.. The good ones have less resistance than a switch, and since it's all semi-conductor there are no contacts to get grimely so they are far more reliable.

Starlight

Enlightened

I purchased my Q4559x from stagelightswarehouse.com. The cost was $45.30 including shipping. The bulb came in a sealed factory box and was obviously new. The problem was that they sent the wrong bulb, a 4559 instead of the Q4559x. I called them about the mistake. They shipped the correct bulb the following day and told me to keep the 4559 for my trouble. The 4559 will also work in this light, it is slightly less bright and has lower rated life, but it is nice to have a spare. Needless to say, I recommend them for your supplies for any bulbs.

larryk

Enlightened

Starlight, how does the beam compare between the 2 lamps ? Does the Q4559X have a tighter spot ? Also does the Q4559X have the metal shield around the filament like the 4559 ?

Starlight

Enlightened

I will let you know when everything arrives. I am in the buying stage, not the building stage. I don't even have the light in hand yet, and won't decide about buying batteries until I can measure the light.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Larry was not happy with the torture he was putting on the 8S1P pack.. pulling 23A out of a pack the size of kid's juice box... so he doubled it up to an 8S2P pack.. that not being good enough he also swapped the lamp for a 'QX' model that outputs like 20-25% more light.. holy COW that thing is ludcirous now.. the beam is more 'floody' perhaps.. at least not as round and definied of a hot-spot.. we will have to get some outdoor beamshots.

With the 2P pack, now rather than sagging to 26.5V under load, it holds 30V initially and after 1/2 minute was still holding 29.5V.. so some overdrive to boot.. it's insanely white and bright now.

I've figured out most likely how to disable the current limiting going on on my V25.9 pack and will attempt to put in the switch that will keep the FETs ON so it stops the madness.. my light will not be as bright but it sure will be SMALLER.. i'm planning to just attach the lamp to the bezel of my v28 work light.. so it'll just have a really big head on a stalk. I also have one of the grey versions of the spotlight as a backup in-case that doesn't work out.

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
dying to get beamshots it'll probably be at least another week before we can pull off a nice beamshot demo.

-awr

BVH

Flashaholic
Andrew is this 8S2P pack something commercially available or is it custome made by someone or?? Does it fit inside the light completely?

I've got all my parts except for deciding what I want to do with a batt pack.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
of course fits inside completely... the main point for larry was to make it self contained vs 'the sleeper'..

the 8S2P pack is made from 8 packs of 7.2V Tanic barrery packs.. about $320 in cells.. i am looking to use 24xIB3800 sub C.. closer to $150.

-awr

BVH

Flashaholic
Andrew, did you consider the CBP 4200 Sub C's? Thats what I was thinking of and am thinking of sending my stripped HF shell to Michael at CBP to have one sized and made, if they will fit.

larryk

Enlightened
It has been raining the last 2 weekends here in Wisconsin. Hopefully next weekend the weather will cooperate. We will try to get beam shots with known lights like the X990, 10 Million Candlepower Thor, Cosco HID and maybe a MaxaBeam.

tdurand

Enlightened
I'll bring a barn burner for a comparison shot when I get mine.
Let me know. I'm nearby you guys.