The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Thanks for the PM reminder, and I did ask you about making one a long time ago.

I think that is a very fair price especially for the time it is taking you to make them. Count me for one...and a couple questions.

I know this is a sales thread, so let me know if you prefer I ask questions like this in PM, or another non-sales topic, and I can delete it here.

I'm wondering how this "optical grade polymer" lens performs vs. the Surplus Shed/MG glass brands that I found so much better in my Aspheric shootout....and how hard it is to cast it without bubbles/particles or other impurities, and if you know it has a reliable track record to not discolor. These are just questions that come up when I read "polymer," but I know absolutely nothing about "optical grade" polymer, so please don't be insulted by my questions. I guess if you are sure of it still "blowing away" the Mac/Ledean aspherics as you said in the other thread, that is the main issue.

The other thing I cannot tell for sure since the only shot is of the diffuser version....but I find it very distracting and hard to develop any "night vision" if the front of the lens protrudes beyond the bezel, so just want to make sure about that. If we need to get the carbon bezel to prevent that, add that to my list.

Finally, the Mac/Ledean are P4 Cree's, and the KD was a Q5 Cree (but underdriven)...all of which were about the same brightness. So I think reserve the brightest (? R2 ?) for me, and also a separate more natural pill setup, but it would be great to see your comparison shots before locking in the color. I love the built in flexibility of upgrading emitters!

Thanks again for making these. This should be a great launch for your modding.

Last edited:

wolfstyle

Enlightened
Just curious on what the estimated time line of these is? Also what number I am in line?

wolfstyle

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is a sales thread, so let me know if you prefer I ask questions like this in PM, or another non-sales topic, and I can delete it here.
Thats fine. Better to answer it once here than several times through PMs.

I'm wondering how this "optical grade polymer" lens performs vs. the Surplus Shed/MG glass brands that I found so much better in my Aspheric shootout..
As far as the material itself it probably does not have as good light transmission as the high grade glass. However in my search for an existing lens to use in this light I bought one from Anchor Optics for $11.50 that had specs very similar to my original lens. When I received it I noticed an optical distortion in the glass itself kind of like when you stir sugar into water. Then I tested it in my light and found it threw a red image of the die in one direction and a blue image in the other direction. That clearly was not going to work. I questioned Anchor Optics about it and they just said that since it was not one of their high grade lenses that is what I should expect. :thumbsdow I have not had this problem at all with the plastic I am using.
Now as far as whether my lens is a better performer than the ones you tested...well as I mentioned in the old thread I used to have one of the "good" Surplus Shed optics that I built into a mag with the same circuitry I am using with the DEFT. If I remember correctly I used a KLC8 LED which used the Cree x-re die in a different package. I gave that light away some time ago but I remember thinking how much more incredible the DEFT was than the mag I had just built. And that was with the mag running at high current.

..and how hard it is to cast it without bubbles/particles or other impurities, and if you know it has a reliable track record to not discolor.
VERY hard. I can't promise absolute perfection but there will not be any large cosmetic flaws and nothing that would affect the overall performance of the light. I have spent a long time going through material and buying equipment to get the process just right. Even the original glass lenses I started with have bubbles and were very cloudy looking from the lack of polish. I have experience with this product going back about 4 years(although not with anything as sensitive as these lenses) and the things I made then with it are just as nice as the day they were made. They have been kept indoors however and not exposed to sun light for long periods of time. The product is listed as UV resistant which implies it will not readily yellow.

I guess if you are sure of it still "blowing away" the Mac/Ledean aspherics as you said in the other thread, that is the main issue.
I suppose "blow away" is a subjective thing but there most certainly is a marked difference between the two. I look forward to your opinion since you have a good bit of experience with different aspheric setups.

The other thing I cannot tell for sure since the only shot is of the diffuser version....but I find it very distracting and hard to develop any "night vision" if the front of the lens protrudes beyond the bezel, so just want to make sure about that. If we need to get the carbon bezel to prevent that, add that to my list.
This is a very good point and a good reason to get the CF bezel. It does dazzle you without it. However I am giving people the option to not have it so that some who may not have the money for that luxury can still afford the light.

Finally, the Mac/Ledean are P4 Cree's, and the KD was a Q5 Cree (but underdriven)...all of which were about the same brightness. So I think reserve the brightest (? R2 ?) for me, and also a separate more natural pill setup, but it would be great to see your comparison shots before locking in the color. I love the built in flexibility of upgrading emitters!
I am totally LOVING the 5A tint right now. It has wonderful color rendition compared to even the WH, which I found to be better than the WC/WG variety. I only ordered three to start with but have since ordered more because I like it so much. I also have the SSC P4 93 CRI LED that I have been playing with. It does indeed have better color rendition than the 5A but not significantly so IMO. It has a more true red whereas the 5A can look slightly pinkish when directly compared to the SSC P4. I absolutely cannot stand the SSC P4 in a smooth reflector. The tint varies too much from spot to spill. I put a diffuser over it and now love it. Just in case you were wondering I am not planning at this time to offer the SSC in the DEFT.

One other note to add. I am more than likely going to be adding an option for a hard coat/AR coat as soon as I have confirmation the process works with my lenses. I already dropped off some lenses with the guy and after a huge delay expect to have them in hand Monday or Tuesday. I don't know what the cost is yet as we have not discussed exact pricing but I will not be trying to make money on that so will probably provide it for my cost or at least really close. It is a pretty neat product. They first put a hard coat on the lens which helps keep plastic lenses from scratching as easily. Then they AR coat it. After that they apply a hydrophobic coat that repels water and makes it easier to clean the lens. I will update the original post with more information on this when it becomes available.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious on what the estimated time line of these is? Also what number I am in line?

wolfstyle
I don't know the exact number order yet. This is due to the fact that I am giving first right of refusal to the individuals who showed interest before this thread was ever made. Once I hear from them all I will know where you are in the line. As far as time frame as I mentioned it takes me about a day to complete one so if you were number 20 it would be about 20 business days before I shipped. That may change as I become more proficient at it but that is probably a good rule of thumb.

DM51

Flashaholic
Very interesting, saabluster.

Have you managed to get this to focus tighter than other aspherics?

One of the things I wish was different with aspherics I have seen is the divergence of the beam. I have one that throws approx. 1 in 30, i.e. a 1 foot wide spot at 30 feet distance.

It would be even more impressive if the spot was half that size, or even less, giving greatly increased range. Have you managed to achieve that?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting, saabluster.

Have you managed to get this to focus tighter than other aspherics?

One of the things I wish was different with aspherics I have seen is the divergence of the beam. I have one that throws approx. 1 in 30, i.e. a 1 foot wide spot at 30 feet distance.

It would be even more impressive if the spot was half that size, or even less, giving greatly increased range. Have you managed to achieve that?

Yes this does have a tighter focus than the ones used in the mag. This is due to the longer focal length. The farther away a lens is the more of a point source the LED becomes and the better it can be collimated. Just having a long focal length is not all that is necessary however because the farther you get from the lens the less light is captured by the lens. So it really is about trying to find the best compromise between FL and diameter. The lens I'm using captures a majority of the emitted light from the Cree thanks to the fact that the Cree xr-e throws the light so far forward. I realize you may already know some of this but thought I would post it for newbie inquiring minds.

FYI Someone asked me once to measure the die size at 32' and I think it was 8" give or take.

wolfstyle

Enlightened
I don't know the exact number order yet. This is due to the fact that I am giving first right of refusal to the individuals who showed interest before this thread was ever made. Once I hear from them all I will know where you are in the line. As far as time frame as I mentioned it takes me about a day to complete one so if you were number 20 it would be about 20 business days before I shipped. That may change as I become more proficient at it but that is probably a good rule of thumb.

Thanks for the reply. So probably within the next week you will start shipping these or do you expect longer? I know you can't give me any exact dates just want to know If this is going to be a long wait or not to receive this light. Also if I get the carbon fiber bezel will I also get the bezel that comes with the light?

wolfstyle

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. So probably within the next week you will start shipping these or do you expect longer? I know you can't give me any exact dates just want to know If this is going to be a long wait or not to receive this light. Also if I get the carbon fiber bezel will I also get the bezel that comes with the light?

wolfstyle
I should start shipping within the next week. The CF bezel is attached to the original metal one and is only an extension not a complete replacment.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I finally found the thread! :D I'm in for an R2 and a bezel!:twothumbs

Karl

Last edited:

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also in for and R2 along with the carbon fiber bezel.
Thanks,
Tanasit

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man am I excited!!! It's like Christmas in August...:santa::santa:

Holzleim

Newly Enlightened
Would it be possible for you to do a LUX meter measurement at 10m or even a farer distance to be sure your LUX meter captures light emitted from most surface of the lens?
We can then calculate the LUX/1m value. Measuring it directly at 1m would give far too low results.
With my 55mm aspheric I got acccaptable result when having the distance at least at 10m.
Example: ~65000 LUX/1m when measured at 1m distance
~900 LUX/10m --> 90000 LUX/1m when measured at 10m distance

Values did even increase small amout at bigger distances, but don't remember the vaules.

Thanks in advance,

Holzleim

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it be possible for you to do a LUX meter measurement at 10m or even a farer distance to be sure your LUX meter captures light emitted from most surface of the lens?
We can then calculate the LUX/1m value. Measuring it directly at 1m would give far too low results.
With my 55mm aspheric I got acccaptable result when having the distance at least at 10m.

Values did even increase small amout at bigger distances, but don't remember the vaules.

Thanks in advance,

Holzleim

I will try and get some measurements tonight.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, you sir are to be commended for all your efforts here. I am interested to see the 5A beamshots. I haven't seen a 5A cree irl yet so perhaps I could be swayed. I'd also be interested in getting the lens coated if that option turns out to be beneficial. Thanks for the link to the beamshots, I haven't looked at that thread in awhile. I'm still on the fence about the diffuser but I may be falling toward it now that I've seen those pictures. Absolutely amazing.

:thumbsup:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, you sir are to be commended for all your efforts here. I am interested to see the 5A beamshots. I haven't seen a 5A cree irl yet so perhaps I could be swayed. I'd also be interested in getting the lens coated if that option turns out to be beneficial. Thanks for the link to the beamshots, I haven't looked at that thread in awhile. I'm still on the fence about the diffuser but I may be falling toward it now that I've seen those pictures. Absolutely amazing.

:thumbsup:

I can tell you this much if you don't get the diffused lens now you will get it later. I have some exciting stuff coming using it.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
You did an outstanding job of answering everything I could think of, and with a level of knowledge and detail that quite frankly, surprised me. ;)

So, I'm sure I would love to support your starting work, and benefit from getting at least two full lights, both with the bezels. If you want to hold off on people getting more than one for now, to give more members a chance--no problem waiting for 2nd one.

I'm not sure I understand the benefits of the diffuser, since generally I'm not fond of "floody" beams, but you may know more about its uses than I am picturing. Like you say, I may add one separately based on why you like it.

Again, let me lock in for 2 with bezels for your planning. For the 1st one, I'm sure I would want the brightest (R2), and also the separate optional 5A pill on your recommendation. The 2nd light could be with Q5 or R2 (I'm thinking the Q5 would give me a good variety for a shootout.).

Lens coatings sound great as long as they don't significantly decrease ouput/color.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some more pictures.
This is the DEFT W/ R2, smooth lens
leds086.jpg

R2 Diffused
leds087.jpg

OK. I want you to stop here and compare the picture just above and just below. Below you see the Tiablo A9. What stuck out to me is the dead space that lies mid-range down the beam, in between the spill(which is only good up close) and the spot . In the picture above you will notice how much more light is being thrown and over a larger area. This really helps give you a much better sense of what is going on down-beam.

Tiablo A9
leds088.jpg

5A DEFT Diffused
leds089.jpg

5A smooth
leds091.jpg

Comparing the DEFT 5A diffused and the Tiablo WC
leds093.jpg

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the help of my wife I took some measurements from 400-500'. Using the Tiablo A9 to compare to. The Tiablo had a reading of .9, on my light meter, while the DEFT had a reading of 7 on the nose. The lens I used was one of the ones I felt was not up to snuff and had put it aside. I took all the good ones to be coated so thats all I had. So the DEFT is throwing about 8X better than a Tiablo A9.

Thanks in advance,

Holzleim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts