The Lounge Jan-June 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumentia

Enlightened
Re: The 2015 Lounge

Reading this is quite uplifting. I guess I can go to sleep with a smile now :)
:)

Yes having a child changes you. The back story greatly condensed :
I finally found the woman I wanted to have a kid when when I was 35 after quite a few wrong ones, then discovered she couldn't have kids (didn't stop me from trying lol). Went through the next 4 years thinking I'd never have kids (she was supposedly clinically sterile after much surgery to remove cysts). Found out she was preggo in January of 2012. It was a very high risk pregnancy because of her conditions and age (40)That September we had a perfectly healthy girl but almost lost momma and baby in the process.

My daughter is 29 months now and smart as a whip. Mommas medical problems are behind her now and we have a lot to be thankful for.

she takes it a little rough when sombody says you have a cute granddaughter lol. Doesn't bother me, I'm embracing my gray hair. I earned it haha.

lumentia

Enlightened

chops728 said:
There's always regrets about Saving/Spending money--Coming from a guy that over the years spent 150k on high end audio
Wow I thought I spent a lot on racing hehe. Never really bothered to add it all up until I found out I could deduct it for advertising, then :eek:oo:)

You should post up some of your equipment, I'm sure all the gear junkies her would appreciate it.

I do enjoy good audio, got into car audio for a while right after high school. Thought it was going to turn into something I could make a living at but nope.

Last edited:

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Congratulations on your child lumentia. I've been self employed for 20+ years, had great times and not so great. Money, none. Memory, none. I can't afford to pay attention. I have a 16 year old son, 14 year old daughter, and a 5 year old daughter. Blown a poop load of money over the years but I'm happy and that's what matters to me.

chops728

Flashlight Enthusiast

Congratulations on your child lumentia. I've been self employed for 20+ years, had great times and not so great. Money, none. Memory, none. I can't afford to pay attention. I have a 16 year old son, 14 year old daughter, and a 5 year old daughter. Blown a poop load of money over the years but I'm happy and that's what matters to me.

Wow 2 teenagers and a little one-- I had 1 daughter and she was hell at 16 but now at 27 she's a fine young lady--Wouldn't want to do that again--LOL

Congratulations lumentia on your baby

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes my grey hairs are multiplying faster than Vinh's lights.

charlieplanb

Newly Enlightened

Lets not forget the worker comp at 19.68%, health insurance another $13,000.00 a year(just for myself)

When you are self employed it's a lot harder to dedicate a set % amount to retirement-make it like a note they always seem to get paid--you never know how business is going to be--self employed means after deductions the first 15.3% goes to self employment tax then if you do well for yourself lets say 60k plus you're looking at another 38% + to our favorite uncle--kind of hard to save with less than 50% staying in your pocket--like I said learn to buy things you can write off--my wife is a Insurance agent--she drives a 2012 Q56 not because it's her first choice because 70k comes off the top of her gross--I have a 1 ton van and an Avalanche 100% off the top
I have a friend--he's my stepsons uncle--he always tells him (stepson age 31) you're at the need age--buy the things you need save money--I'm at the want stage of life (uncle age 65) I buy what I want because I saved when I was younger

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's an expense not many account for. My father had a accident recently and was carried by helicopter to the hospital. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for medical personnel that took care of him and transported him safely to the hospital. I also realize that its expensive to own, maintain, and operate aircraft. But the bill he received in the mail for $40,000.00 is outrageous. That is only for the flight, he hasn't received the bill from the ambulance and hospital/doctors bills yet. Oh and his insurance said they would pay $5000.00 toward the med flight bill. After this experience I'm signing up for the $65.00 a year membership for med flight insurance which covers all members of the household. I hope I never need to use it.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's an expense not many account for. My father had a accident recently and was carried by helicopter to the hospital. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for medical personnel that took care of him and transported him safely to the hospital. I also realize that its expensive to own, maintain, and operate aircraft. But the bill he received in the mail for $40,000.00 is outrageous. That is only for the flight, he hasn't received the bill from the ambulance and hospital/doctors bills yet. Oh and his insurance said they would pay $5000.00 toward the med flight bill. After this experience I'm signing up for the $65.00 a year membership for med flight insurance which covers all members of the household. I hope I never need to use it.

Wow, that is crazy. Thank you for sharing that idea (signing up for that type of insurance). I hope your father is doing well.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I finally found the woman I wanted to have a kid when when I was 35 after quite a few wrong ones, then discovered she couldn't have kids (didn't stop me from trying lol). Went through the next 4 years thinking I'd never have kids (she was supposedly clinically sterile after much surgery to remove cysts). Found out she was preggo in January of 2012. It was a very high risk pregnancy because of her conditions and age (40)That September we had a perfectly healthy girl but almost lost momma and baby in the process.

My daughter is 29 months now and smart as a whip. Mommas medical problems are behind her now and we have a lot to be thankful for.

she takes it a little rough when sombody says you have a cute granddaughter lol. Doesn't bother me, I'm embracing my gray hair. I earned it haha.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, that is crazy. Thank you for sharing that idea (signing up for that type of insurance). I hope your father is doing well.

Thanks he is recovering from a concussion and fractured vertebrae in his back, took a nasty fall.

MaxBeam

Enlightened

Wow, you have a miracle baby! Thanks for sharing, I hope you all continue to do well!!! :thumbsup:

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened

$40K ??!!! Not $4k???

If its 40K what the.....I dont get that all...that must be twice what some people earn in a year and all the emdicine and fuel they used would not have vost that much....4K maby if you include the med help on the helicopter but 40K could proberly keep that bird funded for the day??? And that dosent evan cover what he had in hopstial?!!

Yikes man i hope thats a typo!!! That cant be commenplace surely??? How can they jusitfy that!!!

Not knocking them as im sure whay theu did was amazing but thats outragious...surely theres some way to fight that bill. Madness...knew healthcare was not cheap but yikes!!!

Pms hope he makes a quick and full recovery.

Severus

Enlightened

$40K ??!!! Not $4k???

If its 40K what the.....I dont get that all...that must be twice what some people earn in a year and all the emdicine and fuel they used would not have vost that much....4K maby if you include the med help on the helicopter but 40K could proberly keep that bird funded for the day??? And that dosent evan cover what he had in hopstial?!!

Yikes man i hope thats a typo!!! That cant be commenplace surely??? How can they jusitfy that!!!

Not knocking them as im sure whay theu did was amazing but thats outragious...surely theres some way to fight that bill. Madness...knew healthcare was not cheap but yikes!!!

Pms hope he makes a quick and full recovery.
He got it cheap, I know a guy that he had a motorcycle wreck and they charged him 100k for the air lift.

I had a wreck as well and the ride on an ambulance for 5 miles cost $800. So yes its crazy and no is not a typo, recently I took my youngest daughter to the ER and the Hospital charged my medical insurance 7k just for the room she "used", (most of the time waiting for a doctor) they sent us home without any prescription stating it was "just" a virus.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's correct not a typo, It was about a 35 mile ride by air. Health insurance is a joke now. My wife's is provided through her work, my policy for me and children is $600.00 a month and doesn't pay anything until each person meets the deductible of $2500.00. After that it pays 80% up to a certain amount.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

My lifestar helicopter ride was $22,000 in 2008 after my car accident. I guess its become much more expensive now.

Status
Not open for further replies.