The Malkoff Front Porch

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks to me like it's the exact same length as the old one.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks to provide tail end grip that is missing from the knurled. Have two of the updated tailcaps on order, so will see how it goes...

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 18650 Wildcat head is back in stock.

You can even find the neutral! (small number in stock).

Tricap looks out of stock if you want to add a body to the Wildcat.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
...but for the simple model this new traditional is more beautiful and matches the look of the new host md2.
And the machined flutes carry over the motif to the HD/WC.

img1.jpg

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Offhand, I prefer the new knurling/fluting to the old. I always felt that the diamond pattern was cut shallow (reduced bite) and wore smooth too quickly. YMMV.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Looking at that new design it looks like them grooves are pretty deep. Much deeper then the old knurling. Has the OD increased or does this mean the battery tube wall is thinner?

340pd

Newly Enlightened
I have a MD2 and I have difficulty activating the switch easily with my thumb when holding it one handed. It just doesn't want to cooperate. When I ordered my HD 18650 I also ordered the Tricap which allowed perfect single handed operation.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has the OD increased or does this mean the battery tube wall is thinner?
Appears to be the latter as the OD mics the same.

I have a MD2 and I have difficulty activating the switch easily with my thumb when holding it one handed.
My hand tends to slide too far back with the HD/WC 18650 + MD2. A tricap helps some, but not nearly as much as a Switchback 2.0 (which requires a standard tailcap).

Last edited:

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
My VME head with M61WLL just arrived. I figured I'd do a family photo.
Jff7Ivvl.jpg

I have the malkoff'd mag lite for my truck, HD neutral for my bag, MD2 w/ M61W for edc wearing jackets/jeans, 123 body w/ VME M61WLL for smaller edc (or bodyguard v1 head depending on where I'm heading), and a vacant 22.3 head that I still need to fill with something.....but I'd say my bases are finally covered...for now.

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
I will say, I am pleasantly surprised by the sst version of the warm LL. Before this, I was typically carrying the previous m61w with the xp g2 or a zebralight sc64le with the the LH351D. I wanted to try out the LL now that the warm tint had a higher CRI rating, but was afraid it wasn't going to be bright enough for my needs. This is really making me question my "need" for higher outputs. It doesn't sound that impressive on paper, but this is PLENTY bright with such a useful beam profile and a wonderful tint. I only went with the LL for the battery life seeing as I wanted to run it on a 123 body with 16340's, but I will absolutely be using it for more than just that after seeing it in person.

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at that new design it looks like them grooves are pretty deep. Much deeper then the old knurling. Has the OD increased or does this mean the battery tube wall is thinner?

I just received my new MD2 body/tailcap and I must say that IMO, the old knurling isn't even in the same league as the new. Both body sections are much easier to grip...does this mean I'm going to have to buy new versions of the MD3/4 when they get redesigned as well?!?!

0-B4-CDB9-E-7304-4321-872-E-0986-EC8-C29-E5.jpg

978061-C5-FBC3-4847-8-F6-E-DCD13687-FB5-B.jpg

The inside diameters look look the same both from the top and also from the bottom, pictured a couple of photos below.

82807851-C3-CF-4-DB6-AD8-B-930-FA0055624.jpg

The button sticks out on the new tailcap, though not as much. There could be many reasons for this though...

63-FFE209-E8-F8-4-D79-ADBA-4-AE9-E2-B1-A7-A5.jpg

0-E31-AAA9-8429-4-C1-C-852-B-C4-BEB53-BB424.jpg

16-F579-BF-A755-47-C1-9-CB3-35-D4-F6-B87-A93.jpg

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
RE: button sticking out- I have found that this is often just air inside the button. Pinching it and pressing down, or just pressing it a bunch (particularly unscrewed from the head of the light) can make the rubber go "back inside" the switch far enough to tailstand. Similarly, I have also found you can "inflate" the buttons.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
...does this mean I'm going to have to buy new versions of the MD3/4 when they get redesigned as well?!?!
I have already earmaked funds for just that having decided (along with the kids) that the new is superior to the old. All MD3/MD4 will be replaced. Then the 22.3 CB to complete the move to 2021 :)