Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Three words.....

ABOUT
FRAKKING
TIME!!!

Power was restored on 12/16/08 at approx. 7:50 PM, FIVE DAYS after the storm

CMP overall grade;
F MINUS MINUS!, or -273 Farenheit, ABSOLUTE ZERO!

I need to type up my final observations about the experience and sum them up in the next post or so

DaveG

Enlightened
Yup, there is no excuse for not owning an Eveready 9101IND or similar.

A mile of throw, 100+ hours' runtime, and 10-year battery shelf life.

At about $20 + battery, it's very cheap insurance.
May have missed this light,can some one enlighten me? Thanks.

Illum

Flashaholic

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
Jrmc has a good point, you should call and say that the old woman down your block hasnt been able to take her nebulizer treatments all week and that you are worried for her safety, they will certianly be quicker to get power on because they dont want any blood on their hands. This may be a dirty trick to play but it is effective
That would be really amoral. You could be preventing someone who really needs help from getting it.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
its an interesting light, um...its like the 9V paklite almost, the Eveready light is just that top half there that snaps to the battery
http://www.castlewholesalers.com/EVEREADY-9101IND-Sealed-Beam-Lantern-6-Volt.html
the only place where I've seen 6V batteries that size is sellers for companies that uses them on construction barricades.
They are also used in electric fencers, or at least they used to be. Nowadays, most fencers seem to be either AC or solar

hopkins

Enlightened
Nothing ever happens in San Jose like an ice storm. Earthquake jiggles
are over in a few seconds while the snap & crack of breaking trees
goes on and on, or so its reported of the worst ice storms. Do they really sound like gun battles?

Guess I'd want to have several saws and a cart to haul any down wood back to my yard as free :naughty:firewood.
Also there must be some training available to learn how to repair down
power lines without being electrocuted. I've seen those no-touch AC voltage
detectors, something good to own.

Last edited:

jrmcferren

Enlightened
That would be really amoral. You could be preventing someone who really needs help from getting it.
I need to make this clear on my end as I did reference the same post and did not include a disclaimer. I WOULD NEVER CONDONE SUCH A PRACTICE!!!!! I will edit the post of mine after the one referenced.

Last edited:

AA6TZ

Enlightened
They aren't snow-proof either...if your going for solar...build yourself a portable system that you can tote along should you have to evacuate for any meteorological/geographic reasons as the solar arrays usually winds up costing more than the house as an asset on paper. Plus typically your going to have to run it for ~10 years before you can earn back the cost...as long as the consumer grade panels still perform at ~28% efficiency:candle:

I was thinking of something like this for portable, we have a couple as demonstration units on campus, personally I have not found a better prebuilt system: http://www.solarone.net/products/harvester.cfm

Invest in a couple extra solar panels [up to 3]
  • Expandable solar array 80 watts to 240 watts
  • Choice of 600W inverters Truesine 110V/60Hz or 220V/50Hz
  • Advanced 15 amp PWM charge controller with LCD display
  • 105AH battery pack
  • More than one DC outlet plus two shielded RV style outlets.
  • Environment: 0-100F, 100% humidity. Rain snow resistant
  • Power box: ABS/Polyethlyene 20x20x10", 70LB with battery
  • Removable dolly with solid "leak-proof" urethane wheels
All for about $4000...not too bad for a standalone system.

Illum_the_nation -- Superb/superior post!!! I really appreciate the time and effort you put into it, that's for sure. Great info, all the way around. Thanks for posting the link, too. :thumbsup:

You make good sense regarding the system's portability. I'll continue to study the info then make a few purchasing decisions shortly.

Take care -- and thanks again.

-Clive

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
we were without power here in Tulsa for 4 days 7 hours about half a million or so in oklahoma had no power about this time last year when an ice storm zapped us. They had crews from everywhere here but they were only working 12 hour shifts so at about 6pm if they were not done you had to wait till the next day. I didn't even get close to running out of batteries because I used my rayovac 1hr with a car charger to charge 4AA at a time when I drove around to get ice and food and those batteries powered two CCFL lights one of which was a lantern and I hat a 3D dorcy LED light also plus several 3x5mm LED 3AAA headlamps that run for hours. I used the 1D energizer lanterns (yard lights) and had several taplights with nimh generics in them. I had a dual 9watt fluoro rayovac lantern but rarely used it because the CCFL energizers light up enough for most uses and run for about 6 hours. It was frustrating but we had natural gas stove burners to heat the place and I ate out since half the businesses were shut down.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
good You have power again,
there might also be some investigations about how it has been dealt with the storm and its outcomings.
From what I read - while I understand Your point of view and would be the same when in the same situation - I think You exaggerate.
There is noone sitting around and saying "I dont like Frost Hill, we work there when everythin else is finished".
With You openly attached lines, the crews will have to inspect every physical meter, not just search for a possible cut. Rewire and fix every clamp, test the line on both ends and then connect to the grip again.
Before that remove any broken trees, parts, whatever ...
... that needs some time.

another question to preparedness:
say, a normal accomodation or small house, no fireplaces, no space to "safely" use an open flame.
Electricity out for some days
(here the gas heater would not work --> needs power to run, imho, but not sure on that)
portable generator not possible (space, gas, ...)
Large Steel can to burn wood and other things?
Would probably leave a mess on the walls and ceiling and gives smoke everywhere.
What better to do / to prepare?

paul1968mcr

Newly Enlightened
Well having moved to the Midwest (Indianapolis) from sunny Manchester, England 2 years ago, I must say "I farkin' hate ice storms"

I have never seen the likes of an ice storm before, fortunately the ones we experienced only resulted in 1/4" of ice, not enough to cause any electrical issues (unlike the bleedin' severe thunderstorms). It's surreal, everything entombed in ice. The mayor of our city is looking for approval to bury our power lines - makes alot of sense to me!!

Some good info on this thread - Gonna go costco and get some food for my lights D and AA's, I'm also gonna buy a 50W inverter for the car to charge my eneloops / phone / laptop etc.

How easy is it to use a "remote controlled" gas fire with no electricity, can you overide the solenoid??? - gonna get damned cold in here with no power.

MacTech

Enlightened
I spoke too soon, no less than THREE minutes after I posted my last update, the power went out *AGAIN!!!*

Two tripped breakers on the Eliot side...

We called CMP immediately after the second outage, they said they'd "try to send the trucks back, Frost Hill is not listed as "closed" yet"

And you guessed it, NOT A SINGLE TRUCK HAS BEEN SEEN!!, and now we have about 3" of snow on the ground to compound matters, and we're running low on wood.....

CMP "CLAIMS" that all power will be restored by midnight tonight, I'll believe that when I see it....

See why I HATE CMP?, this is normal for them, you can't *BUY* this level of incompetence!

Illum

Flashaholic
They are also used in electric fencers, or at least they used to be. Nowadays, most fencers seem to be either AC or solar

I have seem variants of the battery labeled as 12V cells in radioshack...from the looks of it I believe it might be 2 6V lantern batteries wired in series:shrug:

Tiff

Newly Enlightened
Nothing ever happens in San Jose like an ice storm. Earthquake jiggles
are over in a few seconds while the snap & crack of breaking trees
goes on and on, or so its reported of the worst ice storms. Do they really sound like gun battles?

Yeah pretty much it's an unnerving sound when you hear these huge CahRACK! sounds all night. Not really like a battlefield. If you want that sound just spend Christmas in the Philippines! Tons of fireworks all night long. My wiofe and I must have bought $500 worth just for Christmas and everyone blows a fortune on fireworks. :party: They blow up under your car the noise doesn't stop all night. No firework laws in many places. But the sound of cracking limbs and trees it's much scarier. You hear the CRACK then the limbs smashing to the ground. But other than that dead silence.

MacTech

Enlightened
12/17/08;
Power is back on at home, the next question is for how long, last powerup only ran for about an hour before dying again....

I'm not holding my breath....

We *WILL* be contacting the State Utilities Commision over this, I want heads to roll! some CMP "Suits" need to lose their jobs over this, there are still over 3,000 customers without power in the York County area....

And the worst part is, CMP is a *MONOPOLY*, we have *no* other power companies to choose from....

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
MacTec-

I feel for your situation. I was without power for 7 days once - waaaay before I'd even known about CPF and flashlights and being prepared and....

Anyway, while you have dealt with this bad situation, you have kept us informed and I appreciate that. At least we know you are doing somewhat well given the situation.

I am wondering, as you have been listing the lights "used," how long past darkness you and the family have actually been staying up and really using the lights? And what is it that you have been doing? Obviously you've had power for the computer via the car, but what else that requires the usage of the lighting? I am wondering because when I was without power for so long, we basically called it a night when it got really dark...

MacTech

Enlightened
We used the lights for a good 3 to 4 hours after it got dark, getting wood from the cellar, getting water out to the horses (my sister has a boarding stable on the property with 16+ horses), just general use

I have used this outage as a learning experience, I learned a great deal about the makeup of the grid, the order in which power is restored, the way CMP prioritizes repairs, what power pole circuit breakers look like, how to tell a tripped breaker from a functioning one, and also learned that we need to keep more than a cord of wood on hand, we also need to have multiple backup redundancies for our backup plans

We did well on the food, water, and lighting side
We did okay on the heating side, but we really need to have a lot more wood and/or firelogs on hand to be truly prepared
we absolutely failed on the electrical side, we should have at the very least, a small 8 KW generator to keep our oil furnace running, we can live without electricity for the *conveniences* like electric lights, TV, and the Internet, but since both our oil heat, propane heater, and water heater and water pump are electrically powered, we were forced to rely on our backup equipment, which we had just barely enough of

Going forward, we plan to;
1; keep a decent, if not excessive amount of wood on hand for use in the woodstove for supplimental heating, and in fact, the woodstove will now be used as a main part of our winter heating strategy even when we do have power, we'll use the woodstove to reduce our reliance on fossil fuel heating

2; keep a good amount of water onhand in storage, we'll re-use those 5 gallon water cooler jugs and keep them filled at all times, if the water isn't potable, it can at least be used for flushing toilets

3; we will be seriously considering a professionally installed backup generator, powered by Propane, this will be used to run the oil furnace in winter outages, and the refrigerator during summer outages, the only drawback to the genny is it's cost, as it would be an unplanned for expense

the biggest problem I had with CMP, and the reason for my irrational ranting, was their lack of communication and the poor/false info they were giving us, sadly, this is not a one time thing with them, our road has always recieved substandard-to-nonexistent support from CMP, I don't like calling them, and I know they're sick of talking to me, but it's the only way to get any information from them and it's the only way to let them know our power related problems