The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Yep.
It aint like it doubles the output, but more like adding a better breathing air filter to your car.
Plus glass is lenses don't scratch anywhere near as easy as Mag plastic.

A fence is 358 paces away.
All 3 pix shot from same spot.
Pic 1 was cel cam unzoomed.
Pic 2 was cel cam zoomed 50%.
Pic 3 was cel cam zoomed 100%

Unfortunately my cell cam reduces resolution as it zooms.

Last edited:

Tribull

Enlightened
Ordered my MD2 with the 200 lumen warm m61 today, can't wait to try it out. I love the Incan look of their warm drop in. I have the m61wll in my p60.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the UCL make a big/ noticeable difference?

That depends on the condition of the original plastic lens. If it's all scratched up, then it'll make a noticeable difference. If it's in perfect condition, then it's very unlikely for your eyes to tell the difference.

The real benefit is that the glass lens will resist scratches, while the plastic lens will not.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, it's an emergency light for me and the lens is in good condition, I will just stick with the original one (for now)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks, it's an emergency light for me and the lens is in good condition, I will just stick with the original one (for now)

I bought the ultra clear lens with the emitter because it was $6, thinking it was polycarbonate and it would eventually replace the stock one when it got scratched.
When I realized it was glass I installed it. The stock one is more 'drop friendly' as in glass breaks. So there's that advantage to the stock one.
Yet when the stock one gets dusty special care needs to be used to avoid scratches over time. If that's no biggy, stick with stock.
If you're like me and use your shirt to clean the lens...glass is the way to go...uncoated glass that is. Those anti-reflective lenses need to be cleaned at least as gently as plastic.

scout24

Flashaholic
Got my very first Malkoff Mag dropin today. Coulda sworn I ordered a 2 cell D, but the 2 cell C that showed up is fantastic! Takes the C Mag into a whole different league. I have no idea why it took this long for me to get one! Given the limits of the stock reflector, this thing throws! With decent spill to boot. Also, a warm CPF Welcome to Connie, who signed my hand written "Thank You" on my invoice. I hope that means business is good, and Gene and Cathy are expanding!

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my very first Malkoff Mag dropin today. Coulda sworn I ordered a 2 cell D, but the 2 cell C that showed up is fantastic! Takes the C Mag into a whole different league. I have no idea why it took this long for me to get one! Given the limits of the stock reflector, this thing throws! With decent spill to boot. Also, a warm CPF Welcome to Connie, who signed my hand written "Thank You" on my invoice. I hope that means business is good, and Gene and Cathy are expanding!

I think the C cells are much better than the D cells anyway for a Malkoff conversion.I do use lithium AAs but even if I were willing to use alkalines I would rather spend $$ to convert my C cell lights.

scout24

Flashaholic
The two cell C is definitely a nice size. When did Mag start molding their cat logo into the rubber switch cover? That was new to me...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The 'heavy duty' 4C lights I just acquired was the first time I saw it.
There was no way to discern the year they were made by the packaging or the instructions supplied.
Scout; did yours have an 'extra' soft feeling button and cover? My 4C's did.

The Malkoff for 2 cell or 3-6 is outstanding either way...and C or D.
I started out towards one for a 4C but ended up doing a 3D, which caused me to think "this is what my pop's old 4D hoped to grow up to be someday."

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two cell C is definitely a nice size. When did Mag start molding their cat logo into the rubber switch cover? That was new to me...

I'm not sure all my 2,3 and 4 C-cells seem to have it including the purple and silver 2Cs that I have had for a few years. It is not on the 4D that I had handy to check, not sure it is on the D-cells.The rare Maglites thread in the flashlight collecting sub forum may have the some info.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible to lego together a single AA either single or multi-mode that has a warm tint? From my understanding an MDC 2AA body can run the m31 heads which are all single mode. M361 are the only ones that are multi mode. Sorry, I'm extremely new to the Malkoff lights. Trying to find my way.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M31 has an input voltage of .8 to 3.3v's. With the VME head, you could run it on a AA or 2 - AA body. The M361 is designed to be run on a single 18650 cell.
To get multimodes with a low voltage setup, you would have to get the MDC CR 123A head.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! Any idea what the output would be running AA m31ll? Is this the lowest level available for the m31 drop in?

Status
Not open for further replies.