The SF M6-R: a regulated rechargeable SF M6 (HOLA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The SF M6-R: a regulated rechargeable SF M6 (H

OK. So I now have all four field tester slots filled:

1. brightnorm.
2. Prolepsis.
3. Catdaddy.
4. pyro.

Thanks guys! It will probably be a little while (2-3 weeks) before I start in on making your M6-R stuff, but it could be sooner. No need to PayPal yet or anthing--I'm still not even sure how much everything will cost, and how long it will take me to make stuff up, and so on. I'll keep everyone updated via this thread.

I'll be looking into getting etched/printed circuit boards made up, but I'm a little reluctant to go this route because it means I can't really modify the circuit at a later date, and also because if I buy extra of these kind of boards they are no good to me for anything but this, but if I buy extra of the proto-type boards, I could use them for any number of other things.

As for power supplies, I have found a 19VDC switching supply which will work on ALL the line voltages world-wide (AFAIK, anyway). It is $20 instead of $10 for the regulated linear 18VDC supply; BUT it is also only .8 lbs, whereas the other one is a monster--close to 3 lbs, and the shipping costs two ways REALLY add up. So it shouldn't raise the price of the finished charger too much at all.

OK. That's the daily update. Plus, I'll be working hard on brightnorm's M6-R this weekend and next week. I've got other stuff to do as well, but I am hopeful that I can mail out his stuff early to mid-week.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the back slap Jim. BTW, I'm still in awe of this work even though we discussed it several times prior to your post. This project and the engineering you put into all of your projects surely qualifies you for a permanent spot in the modding pantheon.

Keep up the killer work!

Wilkey

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Jim:

I'm a definite maybe, but only because your TL 11 is so good I'm reluctant to spend so much on the M6.

Congratulations on another great project.

Josey

paulr

Flashaholic

Wow, just saw this thread. Incredible!! I've been interested in a TL85 for a while, but the M6R would really be going first class...

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Floating Spots said:
Here is a cheap universal power supply possibility:
http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=15527+PS
Its a current/size overkill, but the price is $11 with quantity ten+.

[/ QUOTE ]

Floating Spots, this is just the ticket! Strange, because mpja is where I end up getting all my powersupplies, and is where I am getting the 18VDC regulated linear supply. I get their catalog, too, but for some reason, many of their products are hidding out in one place, but not in the others (they also have a www.powersupplydepot.com website, as well as the mpja.com, and the catalog). For example, the 18VDC supply I am using is not in the catalog, and the 12VDC supply I want to use for the TL fast charger is in the catalog, but not on the website unless you do a search, or know the product number. Odd.

Anyway, this is perfect! Thank you so much. Exactly what I was looking for. Beautiful.

Ginseng,

Thanks for the thumbs up on this project. Very high praise comming from you. I was actually working on this project when you posted your philosophical musings channel 2: output thread, and I knew EXACTLY what you were talking about. Before the M6-R idea came along, I had been planning on making an Aurora class light but this project seemed so much more enticing, for the very reasons you brought up in that thread. Nicely articulated as usual, Wilkey, and spot on.

OK. brightnorms M6-R pack got it's first trickle charge last night, and I will continue working on it tonight. It should be ready soon, baring any unforseen complications.

Thanks to all who have commented or expressed interest. I appreciate it.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great project - but whats the discharge rate on those poor little 1100ma 2/3As - I guess pretty close to the max 3.3A these cells are specified for AFAIK.

A rechargeable M6 is way kewl and having Willie Hunt help you on it certainly won´t hurt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Klaus said:
Great project - but whats the discharge rate on those poor little 1100ma 2/3As - I guess pretty close to the max 3.3A these cells are specified for AFAIK.

A rechargeable M6 is way kewl and having Willie Hunt help you on it certainly won´t hurt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

[/ QUOTE ]

Klaus,

You don't know me very well, do you! You must be joking! Here's a discharge graph of the GP1100 2/3A's which I am using at currents of 15 and 30 amps continuous! At 5 amps, these little power houses are idleing. They have an internal resistance of only 4 mOhms and are the current champions in their size. They are RC community batteries.

As I mentioned above, I am using them for their high capacity and shorter length, and not so much because I need to draw 20 amps from them, but, the fact is that the instantaneous current demands of the LVR3I are pretty severe, and the high current capability of these cells serves the M6-R battery packs very well, I think.

Anyway, I NEVER run batteries at their current limit--not my style, although there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, of course.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK. I will be completing BN's pack tonight, I hope. It passed it's break-in cycling with flying colors. I've been very impressed with how well the GP1100's hold their voltage--nice cells.

As soon as we've had a chance to play with the newer LVR settings on this pack, we can decide whether or not to tweak them, and how much. At that point, I will be able to take payment from the field testers and order their LVR's and batteries and charger supplies (if applicable).

Also, I will continue to consider changes to the charging circuit and hardware. I will definitely be using a smaller box and better heat-sink: the one I am using now is too long and narrow and should be oriented vertically--it's still adequate as it is, but it is far from optimal. I may also modify the circuit to reduce the trickle charge current after the completion of fast-charing. I will also almost certainly be using www.expresspcb.com to make up printed circuit boards for me. 20 boards of the size I need would cost about $10 per board. The proto-boards I would alternately use cost $5 and would require at least an hour and probably two to wire up. So the PCB route would definitely reduce the price of the chargers. Plus, it's a nice touch to have a professional looking board.

K-T

*Moderator*

I am interested in the rechargeable pack but don't need a charger. Short ignition time would be nice though. An M6 is available.

Does the bulb make some humming/buzzing noise while being driven by the LVR? I have one of Willie's LVR's and the 20W bulb I drive with it does make an interesting humming noise.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

K-T,

No problem on buying just the pack and connector (so that you can plug into your existing charger). But if by "short ignition time" you mean that you want me to open up a B/S/T thread soon, there's not much chance of that! Before I put hundreds or even thousands of dollars of stuff out there I want to make sure that there are no problems or issues. This is why I do a field test, and I have certainly been glad of it in the past. The TL field testing revealed the unsuitability of the SL-35X LA and a problem with my ring-potting method (which I then fixed before the build run).

Right now I am in the "beta testing" phase. brightnorm will be testing an M6-R pack and charger very soon. When he has had a chance to give me some feedback, I will decide on what warning flashes level to choose for the LVR's for the other three field testers. I will then have to make up their packs and chargers (for those that don't already have a charger) and ship them out. Then the field-testing phase will being and will probably last at least a month and probably longer.

Based on what I've learned from the field testing, I will then set things up for the opening of a B/S/T signup thread. People will sign up; I will order supplies; I will wait for them to get to me; I will make up the orders and ship them out.

I'm guessing that for those who are not field testers, it will be into January 2005 before they receive their M6-R stuff. And this is just a guess. It all depends on how smoothly things go with the field testing.

Sorry if this is bad news, but if I want to stand behind what I sell (I do) then I must take steps to reduce my risks and liabilities. If for some reason the whole thing goes South during the field testing, I do not have to refund 20 people's money.

Oh, and that reminds me: did I mention that field testers assume some amount of the risk along with me?

As for the buzzing of the LVR, yes, it does have a quiet but discernable buzzing or humming to it due to the switching on and off of the FET.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
naromtap said:
Got my eye on this thread!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey there, naromtap! I was wondering when you would post here. Perhaps now you will not need to buy a Tiger85? Or maybe you will, just to step up in brightness? Or maybe both? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Or maybe neither? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif LOL! Have you and Paul_DW had any more flashlight adventures?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

K-T

*Moderator*

[ QUOTE ]
js said:
K-T,

No problem on buying just the pack and connector (so that you can plug into your existing charger). But if by "short ignition time" you mean that you want me to open up a B/S/T thread soon, there's not much chance of that! ...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, sorry for not making my point clear - I was refering to the softstart function and reducing it to a very short time, not trying to press you into getting the set rolling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
js said:
Klaus,

You don't know me very well, do you! You must be joking!

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim,

yes I really don´t know you very well and no - I´m not joking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The only 1100ma GP 2/3A cells I can find are the GP110AFH cells and those are recommended upto 3300ma discharge - I´m not saying they can´t be discharged at a higher rate or that this hasn´t been done before - if you are using different cells I´ll keep my big mouth shut now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GP 1100ma 2/3A Datasheet

Klaus

PeterB

Enlightened

These guys are for 15A continous discharge:
G110AFHR

This type of NiMH cell is often used for high drain RC-model applications.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
PeterB said:
These guys are for 15A continous discharge:
G110AFHR

This type of NiMH cell is often used for high drain RC-model applications.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the ones. Not the ones you found. I can see your confusion, though! Not very much difference in the name, is there?

As for the soft-start, I'll be looking into reducing the time constant. I need to send Willie an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts