The SF M6-R: a regulated rechargeable SF M6 (HOLA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The SF M6-R: a regulated rechargeable SF M6 (H

udaman,

I've been doing some more thinking on your lastest post, and I'd like to add a few more responses to it:

First, in regards to the "thinking outside the box" comment, allow me to quote you in context: here is the paragraph I was talking about:

[ QUOTE ]
"My hands are small"...singer Jewel says. What about extension tubes for the C body Mags; can you get these made, and for how much? Although the Mag C diameter is still a bit too large for what I want, I was thinking about possibilities with the Pila rechargeable and the larger diameter Pilas. There was discussion of cramming 4x123's into 2C Mag body, w/modified tailcaps- w or w/o springs. I'm wondering if 2 1800ma 168 Pilas would fit better in a 4x123 Mag 2C mod like this? If not, then what about extension tubes that will allow for 2 or 3 Pila with the Mag C bodies??? Short runtimes, but you get the benefit of higher voltages with fewer cells, compared to 1.2v NiMH batteries/sticks, though probably giving up ability to run higher amp loads. Pila/Copia discharge graphs??? I'm rather surprised, that regular moders are not "thinking out of the box" about the possibilities/flexibility the Pila open up. Think about it, NiMH batteries/ sticks loose a signficant amount of runtime if you don't keep them constantly charged-am I the only one who is forgetful? Pila will have relatively same output/runtime 6 months, maybe even 1 year of just sitting in the flashlight. And if the runtime is a bit short, who cares. Just pop a new set of previously charged batteries into the flashlight...did I mention they retain the majority their charge for upwards of a year or more???

[/ QUOTE ]

And here is the link to the original thread from which it came. There. How's that for context.

And, your objections notwithstanding, I still think it's a pretty good example of what I am talking about. I say that on CPF the "box" IS lithium chemistry, Pilas, 123's, etc. and to illustrate that (once again) let me just say that my original plans for making my own mod involved 123's and Pilas, for the reasons you mentioned. I went to NiMH in my TL and M6 projects because it was better suited to my needs. All I was trying to say was that CPFers generally think first about Li chemistry batteries. So my choice of NiMH represents an effort to think "outside the box."

I do not believe that I did you a dis-service or quoted you unfairly, but people can see the original paragraph above, and click on the link, and judge for themselves.

Now, moving on to the question of whether or not I have "sold out":

[ QUOTE ]
udaman said:

And js knows this from PM's between us, and I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed in this M6R. It is almost like the TL was a starting project that led to the fancy high-end (read expensive) M6-R project, as they both rely on basically the same type of power source. It is just in the M6, we add a Willie Hunt regulator to the package (the 'super secret' project js hinted to me a few months ago which I had guessed would be a regulated TL85).

I have to say, it almost seems like js has lost his roots and gone on to 'sell-out'. Originally he wanted to provide CPF members with as many lumens as possible for the lowest costs, much like me. These high-end lights are nice for what they are, but are too expensive for most; I'm more interested in trying to provide high lumens for under $100.

In conclusion, the M6-R is a nice, but uninspiring project, a rather expensive rich man's toy, kind of fat and unwieldy without any endurance . When js builds me the "JA Special"--wicked, awesome, dead-solid-perfect, thin/sexy; then I start drooling...but still cannot afford that one either , too rich for my blood. Darned js, I keep saying "I'm out"; when you start working on the JA Special, be sure and let me be a ß-tester...I can keep a secret.

[/ QUOTE ]

udaman, I did agree with you, in a PM, that there was something to be said for trying to provide the most lumens for the most CPFers--i.e. lots of lumens for cheap, and I remember lamenting the fact that there was no $5 drop in WA lamp 1160 type upgrade for the TigerLight like there was for the MC. But I think I know myself better than you do, and I can assure you that my roots are NOT in inexpensive mag mods. My roots are actually in expensive, high quality lights, such as the SureFire C2 and Arc LSH. I never set out on a mission to provide cheap lumens! I set out on a mission to make the TigerLight compete with an MC60. THAT was my mission.

I started on the TL project because I personally wanted a brighter TigerLight, and I continued with it, and worked as hard as I did, partly because there was so much interest in it. The TL is a very popular rechargeable light here on CPF and I'm pretty sure that a few people were pleased with my efforts and thought that they got a good value for the money.

Yet, if it comes to providing CPFers with options for cheap lumens, I believe I have done something towards that end as well. I set out to solve the problem of high heat and current issues in mag mods. Originally, as you know, I was planning a drop-in replacement for the switch pedestal assy, but upon further investigation, I found out that the switch will indeed take 5 amps without any trouble, and thus the only issue was the heat generated by the superbulbs. And in the interest of keeping costs down, I suggested a plan that many have used: cut off the pedestal. Then solder wires to the right places, and use a stock 1940 and one of my ring potted bulbs and molex connectors to grab the pins. I have an active B/S/T thread where I am offering these connectors and related things for sale for very cheap.

Now, the M6-R project really chose me and not vice versa. You can belittle it if you want, but I'm quite proud of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have a quiet sense of satisfaction over what I've done here. I could mention that I also built a charger from scratch for this project, and I could mention that there was a lot more to making and designing the battery pack than just adding a Willie Hunt regulator to the package. I could go into detail over just why it was such a challenge and just why I'm proud of it.

But I won't.

Let me just point out that there are a fair number of people out there who own M6's and who have been asking the CPF audience about the possibility of a rechargeable M6 for a long time now. Even if we were to say that this was an easy project, and somewhat uninspiring, there would still remain the fact that it fills a need and addresses a request from part of CPF.

[ QUOTE ]
udaman said:

If we are looking at a true small form factor and want the big $$$ footprint, then js will only really impress me when he works his butt off with engineers to design...what do we call it? The "JA Special" for CPF members, designed by js, 'thinking out of the box', raising the bar. That would mean an 500 lm or more HID in the smallest form factor yet---yes that means getting a smaller diameter ballast made, like a SF P9 body.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a news flash, oodles: my goal in life is not to impress you--I mean, it's fine if I do, but it's also fine if I don't. And if it comes to that, has anything or anyone ever impressed you? You seem to be pretty immune to that emotion. Ginseng can work his butt off to build the first 3D form factor HID level brightness light, and you say "build me an HID version in a C form factor. Incans make too much heat."

And here's an idea: GO BUILD THE JA SPECIAL YOURSELF.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was at the bayarea flashaholic gathering a week or so back, when a fellow CPF'er said to me while refering to one of my flashlights; "What do you need THAT for?" [or something like that] I was about to answer when we started laughing, because we don't need it for anything!!! It was very obvious that we all really liked flashlights and didn't need a practical reason to have them.

I for one am fascinated by the customization and design of the flashlights discussed on CPF. Like the evolution of a (re)design in a thread such as this. I can really appreciate the light, knowing all the detail and dedication that has been put into it. By the way, I don't know the first thing about electricity. Just the difference between a guitar amp and a budhist chanting ohm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/duh2.gif I thought LOLA was a showgirl in that Copacabana song by Barry Manilow, and HOLA was something they say every morning when I stop in to pick up my double latte.

Thanks for all you do here js. And the way you do it. Always a gentleman. I'm looking forward to the reading about how you improve upon this light throught beta, as I bump it up on my list of lights to get next. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for your kind words, CromagNet. Much appreciated.

So let's see, BN should get his beta M6-R stuff on Monday, and I plan on ordering all the supplies for the field testers M6-R's this weekend or early next week, except for the LVR3I's. I'll wait until BN has weighed in on the set point level of the warning flashes. At first I thought they were a bit late, but then I changed my mind. At the moment I think they are pretty close to ideal. However, I no longer have a working M6 or a functional M6-R pack, so I can't do further testing of the set point. I'll leave that to BN.

I've also nailed down some charger improvements and refinements: a smaller box, a better heat sink, a lighter, universal input power supply (posted by Floating Spots above) and a better proto-board.

It's all coming together nicely, I think, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how BN and the other field testers like their M6-R's.

Illuminated

Enlightened

Jim,

Very nice work. You've clearly done a ton of research and actual testing with the LVR to push this project light's performance right to the edge - with little risk of having it fall off! That should be quite comforting to those fortunate enough receive one.

I set up my LVR bike light *very* conservatively - using Willie's suggested warning and cut-off levels for the pack/lamp I chose, and it works quite nicely. I didn't have the time/resources to "explore the edges" and make my final setup determinations as you have.

My two cents worth - I didn't *need* a 16-lb carbon fibre racing bicycle, but I bought one because I *wanted* one. I could have bought something different for considerably less, but riding this one gives me great joy. I didn't buy it to impress - I ride mostly solo.

You are providing many owners of the revered M6 a viable option for a quality rechargeable system, and the included output regulation "raises the bar" for incandescents, as McGizmo (I believe) had stated in reference to the A2.

I regret that I'm not in a position to sign up for one of your M6-R's at this time. Keep up the great work!

John

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Udaman,

I just read your rather denigrating post of the M6-R project and Jim and I have to say I'm disappointed. We all work hard to make sometimes little and sometimes large contributions to the field and the community. No one person decides what is or is not a significant contribution. Only time and the community of users, consumers and inventors can decide this and only by actions, not words.

There isn't a modder I know who wouldn't be proud to share whatever they come up with. Not for commerce, not for adulation (ok, maybe a little) but for the sheer joy of it. That's why I do the hotwire thing. Make it hot, make it bright and keep it raw. That's the perspective I choose. I don't have to tell jack about what, how or why I do things but I answer every single PM I get and I try to help people out. I know for a fact Jim is the same way. He produces, invents and mentors. That's good enough for me.

As for your stated preference for form factor and battery technology, it's all good. Pick what you like and have fun because that's what it's all about. But to knock other modders because they're not making what you want to see...well, you can be a little bit more circumspect in your comments is all I'll say here.

BTW, I had several li-ion toches on the drawing board including a high wattage regulated C-form using 26650 cells but I dropped it because I couldn't justify spending $30 a cell. If you want one, send me the cells and the LVR and I'll think about it. But small and ultrabright has already been done. AilSnail did it earlier this year by making over 3,000 lumens from a 3C. Regulation and Li-Ion is not voodoo science. It comes down to money and to getting the cells. And since most companies consider C and D Li-Ions to be little bombs, guess what, they're damned hard to come by. I've tried over half a dozen suppliers, pack builders and designers with no luck.

Let's get things back on track. It's about the light and it's about sharing thoughts, ideas and creations. Oh yeah, and a little respect from all parties is not a bad thing either.

Wilkey

PS. I'm almost 40 so Ashley Judd (mmmmmmm) is more my speed.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW,

I leave for a few days and the Internecine Wars break out!!

For any who are in doubt about the elegance and usefulness of the M6-R, don't be! This is a HUGE step forward in the progression of Mods in general and hotwires in particular.

For a modder, not backed by a factory, to step out and find a regulation circuit that actually works, and then to implement that into an already existing platform is HUGE!!

I've spent literally hundreds of hours trying to pull that off with an existing platform, albeit a larger one with the ability to put out thousands, instead of hundreds, of lumens and had an impossible time.

I finally resorted to producing my own rough, VERY ROUGH, as Ginseng and Otokoyama will testify, body. Even so, I still haven't been able to produce a battery system or regulator I am comfortable with.

KUDOS to js!!!

Bill

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

How does a regulated circuit affect runtime using incan bulbs. Would it use more juice sooner? Would it sacrifice runtime?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not the electrical engineer that Ginseng and js are, but the short answer is that it allows the light to maintain a more efficient drain, thus lengthening the time of maximum brightness for any given power level. That typically means you sacrifice a little total run time of the dimmer variety for a little longer bright run time.

Bill

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Criticism is easy. Creativity brought to functional fruition is not. In my highly competitive field pointed criticism between knowledgeable individuals is usually communicated quietly or privately.

As a lay member of CPF my electronic knowledge is not 1/100th of JS's or Udaman's but it is clear that nothing equal to the rechargeable regulated M6 has existed before and that its size/brightness/runtime combination makes it a truly innovative and useful tool. My testing has convinced me that it is an important step along a bright evolutionary path.

Perhaps it could eventually be cheaper, smaller, lighter, brighter, more advanced and better, but right now the M6-R and the Tigerlight upgrades are the limits of the art, the best we have.

I'm happy to have them and I congratulate Jim for making it possible for us to enjoy them, even vicariously.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
js said:
...I'll wait until BN has weighed in on the set point level of the warning flashes. At first I thought they were a bit late, but then I changed my mind. At the moment I think they are pretty close to ideal. However, I no longer have a working M6 or a functional M6-R pack, so I can't do further testing of the set point. I'll leave that to BN.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jim,

I'd say it's set late, but not too late if the light is turned off immediately. Actually I was afraid to let it run past the first few flashes for fear of damaging it. Would you like me to do that for my next test? If so please alert m to any precautions that I should take

Brightnorm

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
...I'll wait until BN has weighed in on the set point level of the warning flashes. At first I thought they were a bit late, but then I changed my mind. At the moment I think they are pretty close to ideal. However, I no longer have a working M6 or a functional M6-R pack, so I can't do further testing of the set point. I'll leave that to BN.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jim,

I'd say it's set late, but not too late if the light is turned off immediately. Actually I was afraid to let it run past the first few flashes for fear of damaging it. Would you like me to do that for my next test? If so please alert m to any precautions that I should take

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, yes, you can run it to the point where it actually falls out of regulation and starts to dim, but just be sure to turn it off IMMEDIATELY when it starts to dim. Personally I think that the time from warning to dimming should be something like 10 seconds. This would mean that the warning flashes are a signal that says "TURN OFF NOW!". But the warning level could be set to a higher voltage, so that the signal would translate to "Better turn off sometime soon".

The problem with the latter approach is that there is no option for a second type of warning to tell you that you are down to the very last seconds of runtime. Discharging past 6.8 volts (to the point of dimming) on a 9 cell pack is OK once and a while, but it should not be done routinely, as the voltage per cell (.75) is too low to be hit every cycle. On the other hand, I want to repeat: it is fine if it is hit occasionally.

What do people think? Any opinions on the subject?

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I plan to conclude my testing tonight and have a review posted late tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Brightnorm

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
I plan to conclude my testing tonight and have a review posted late tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

Brightnorm, this is almost too good to be true! Wow! I almost can't wait. Wooo hoooo! Yippeeee! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Easy Jim, I may have lied /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

BN

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brightnorm,

Thanks for the great review. Nicely done.

Especially nice to have that runtime from flashing to dimming. Personally, I feel that it is set exactly right, and unless there is any objection, I will order all future LVR3I's with the warning flashes set to 8.3 volts. I personally feel that that is the function they should serve: SHUT OFF NOW! And there is sufficient runtime for a person to grab a backup light, or get to a good stopping point in a task, set things down, etc. So, are there any objections to this set-point? If so please let me know.

I am in the middle of placing the orders for the supplies necessary to make up the three field tester's M6-R kits, and will order the LVR's as soon as people have had more of a chance to weigh in on the warning flashes set-point question.

Very exciting! and very nice that the beta testing has gone smoothly so far. Thanks everyone, and don't be shy about posting--that's what this thread is for.

K-T

*Moderator*

Is there any final round wrapping around the battery pack or does it stay in that triangular shape? What's the latest on the softstart timing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

K-T,

It stays in the triangular shape.

Softstart timing will be set to the "very-fast" setting, which is 60 mS, or just longer than half a tenth of a second.

K-T

*Moderator*

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will this be a onetime thing or is there a chance to get one of these at a later moment? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
K-T said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will this be a onetime thing or is there a chance to get one of these at a later moment? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably, I will do more than one build run, but I'm not promising that. What I WILL do is to open a first build run B/S/T signup thread after the completion of field testing, probably sometime in January or February of next year. If you want an M6-R, you should probably sign-up. I will not require payment until I ship your order. So if cash flow around the Holidays is an issue, keep that in mind. Also, for those who would prefer to prepay, note that as soon as I open the signup thread, you can feel free to pay me if you want. Your choice.

All of this is assuming that no insurmountable problems sink this project and that I am still alive and able-bodied enough to build all of these mods. By the grace of God, let it be so.

Status
Not open for further replies.