The Surefire L4 owners club

sgtlmj

Newly Enlightened
I love my L4! Haven't gotten around to getting Pila's yet, but I still have a case of Sanyo CR123's to go through.

Piece of cake to put a McE2S in a Z57. I didn't like the feel though. Too much space between the boot and the switch. Felt mushy. Trim or standard Aleph tailcap is much better.

MrMom

Enlightened
My L4 is my edc go to light. Running on a Pila from Jon, it is my go to for 90% of lighting needs. Out of the 100 or so lights to choose from, the #1 spot is well earned by the L4.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
They were right when they told me "how can you claim to be a flashaholic if you do not own a L4" - now I see why!

In fact, I owned my U2 before I did the L4, but the L4 still found something extra to impress me with, which after the U2, would be extremely difficult to do.

The L4's beam is softer and less concentrated, which makes the center hotspot less blinding, and the beam is so smooth it looks like the L4 comes integrated with the beamshaper, but no, it's just the awesome reflector at work. The soft flood is absolutely perfect for indoor work and in a pinch, it'll do the job outdoors too.

It also fixes one of the main issues of the U2 - the size. The L4 brings >60 lumens to the table, essentially becoming the HOLA for the Executive series. Personally, I feel mine is in the 100 lumen range, because I'm stacking it up against a P90 on 3 x CR123s, fresh cells, and it can hold its own.

As I have said before, all the L4 needs is a HA-BK or SG edition, with the selector ring, and no increase in size. The moment they can do it, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif !!!

I would not be qualified to comment on the tactical aspects of the L4, but it seems that Surefire has seen fit to equip their Scout Light with a KL4 bezel. In the 2004 catalog the Scout was shown with the Executive incan bezel and most certainly the MN03 60-lumen incan, but this year, it's appeared with the KL4 head and the LU60A (E-to-C adapter with C-series bezel and P60/P61 lamp) incan/IR upgrade.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Whoa! - don't get me started with this L4 bidness. The TW4 with R123 is such a sweet and useful light, and will most certainly do the job outdoors as well as indoors. I know I've said this a million times before, (sorry for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif) but in the woods at night an L4 will make SURE you don't trip over any loose branches laying on the ground, exactly because of that wide beam. You can see all the time where you put your feet down. The L5 (an U2 too I suppose) is also very good at that, and has that little extra throw. But those lights are to big for me to EDC, whereas the TW4 is perfect IMHO. The L4 was my first high end flashlight. Not the last though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif

Jan

Joseph

Enlightened
TW4 with two stage in z52 and R123 is the best small combi of mine! No better light in producton line IMHO.

Rich

Newly Enlightened
I love my L4 but wish it could be used for extended times and not get hot. The same for my L2 at high brightness. It is too bad so much energy gets wasted as heat.

Rich

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Topper said:
(Hmmm how to get out of this one)/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif…(voilating the CPFer code)/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif… (This just might work)/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif…
Hi Maxabaker, on further review of my last post it is certain that I did not make myself
Clear. I was merely attempting to point out the when he got the second L4 he might want to get a thin McGizmo and the not so thin one.( Not bad Topper not bad you might pull this off yet, too dang bad your too stupid to remember the right names of the tailcaps/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif ) uh that's why I mentioned both of them. (did it work they fallin for it??)
So uh thanks for pointing that out and have A nice night! (whew that was a tough one but I think I gotter done!)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif You certainly did a good job of dodging that bullet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
85% of it is turned into heat, actually. 15% is turned into light. Those are the best-case numbers on Luxeons today, but we are hoping that eventually, technology and efficiency will improve - 30% light 70% heat would simultaneously double output AND reduce heat for the same amount of power you put in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
TW4 is basically KL4 head with a E1 body. ie. running the L4 on a single CR123 instead of 2 CR123. This is not available to buy. You need to get either the E1 or VitalGear body to swap out.

BTW, TW4 doesn't always produce good results. It is highly dependant on the Luxeon Lottery. Since it is using only 1 CR123, you have reached nominally half the expected input voltage of the L4. The circuit can only boost so much and the cell can only supply so much current.

So if the LuxV is from a low Vf bin, you will get good results. But if it is from a high Vf bin, the cell may not be able to produce enough energy to light the LED brightly.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually the solution is to buy a rechargeable R123 (3.7-4.2V), which runs the TW4 in full regulation. Vf then becomes unimportant. The R123s put out the same voltage as the Pila 168S and are thus able to achieve this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JanCPF

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
Usually the solution is to buy a rechargeable R123 (3.7-4.2V), which runs the TW4 in full regulation. Vf then becomes unimportant. The R123s put out the same voltage as the Pila 168S and are thus able to achieve this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes exactly! Before we got the R123s, the TW4 was also quite a nice little EDC light, but I don't think anyone could achieve full regulation on one CR123A no matter what bin they got (I may be wrong though). It was when Li-Ions the size of 123 came out, that this combo really stated shining. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Jan

ob1

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lightraven said:
Hi OB1,

I'm considering replacing my E2e with a L4 for off-duty "tactical" use--on duty it's Surefire M6 all the way. Do you think this would work for ID'ing threats and that kind of thing? I also considered getting a KL1 head for the E2e but thought that might be too narrow a beam. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a KL1 and compared to the L4 the KL1 does look weak, it has throw, but it its like a light saber, very narrow. As for using the L4 dor IDing "threats" I personally still trust an incad light for tactical purposes over any LED flashlight(that whole ambient light with LEDs thing bothers me). My L4 is replacing my Streamlight Lux Jr on my belt as my EDC.

I have having fun with my L4 last night, I went snooping around in a empty warehouse last night and it lit the whole building up. I was impressed. Tonight im going to go snoop around in some old Iraqi Military underground bunkers! I'' let you guys know how that goes.

We should be Surefire L4 Club t shirts! that would rock! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

JanCPF

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
We should be Surefire L4 Club t shirts! that would rock! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes of course. An L4-shirt. It's a T-shirt with only one sleve and the number 4 printed upside down on the front and back. If you accidentally ran into someone who knew the meaning of that shirt, you instantly knew you've met a true flashaholic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ob1

Newly Enlightened
Can we get a vote on an L4 tshirt design?