The SureFire P2X-B "Fury" 500lu flashlight thread

NightKids

Enlightened
Re: Surefire Fury

Wow no way!! What a bargain!! Wonder what LED it uses! From a measly 15 lumens to bang!! 500 Surefire lumens!

That will sure wake u up at night!!

Guybling

Newly Enlightened

Well how about that! Now how do I rationalize another Surefire purchase to my Wife?

purelite

Enlightened

Thats funny, the sales guys stop talking and move away. Like its secret squirrel espionage stuff.

I have to say its great that Surefire is definitley listening and watching the industry . This shows they want to have some cutting edge lights in the output department and stay current. But that is one ugly light. I really dont like the direction SF is going with the physical appearance of their civilian lights. They re definitley going for the toned down non threatening streamlined look. Just not my taste

and did you notice, a POLYcarbonate window!??? Plastic?????? On a Surefire?

mmace1

Enlightened

:duh2:

I can now confirm how much of a flashlight dork I am, I really did tilt my head a bit & think "wtf...". Good catch.

The whole point (IMO) of Surefire that was aside from slow production cycles in recent years (which is a biggie - also in IMO), that said still...no corners were cut. I hope the premium-reliability construction is still there...?

Meganoggin

Enlightened

Interesting that Surefire managed to keep this one pretty quiet. I'm looking forward to reviews....

FPSRelic

Enlightened

Thats funny, the sales guys stop talking and move away. Like its secret squirrel espionage stuff.

I have to say its great that Surefire is definitley listening and watching the industry . This shows they want to have some cutting edge lights in the output department and stay current. But that is one ugly light. I really dont like the direction SF is going with the physical appearance of their civilian lights. They re definitley going for the toned down non threatening streamlined look. Just not my taste

My understanding is that the g2x/6px series lights all use polycarbonate lenses.

I remember watching a youtube video of Surefire at a show introducing the new g2x/6px range of lights. He said that they were a result of Surefire listening to it's customers, who were after better priced light with Surefire's reliability. I guess the tradeoff for getting the prices down is to use cheaper materials.

mmace1

Enlightened

I guess the tradeoff for getting the prices down is to use cheaper materials.

Yeah...the bulk price for cut glass in 1.3" diameter circles is through the roof! It's like gold Jerry, gold! $100 right there!

Really though...that seems awfully forgiving. There are well under $50 lights with glass lenses. Are they the same as Surefires - no. But do they make one legitimately question the move to save (in bulk...$2/order $10 max? ) in a $150+ light...I just really can't imagine the savings being that big compared to the overall price. Seems like a cheap move to save a bit & capitalize on either ignorance or excessive brand equity...

I don't know but - this is kinda freaking me out. Surefire has gotten behind on emitters compared to 5 years ago but...to get behind on quality for a component? That's kinda weird sounding.

Last edited:

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast

now if that had the optics of E1B or E2dL for example i'd be on that like flies on you know what

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Get one before the price goes up, ala KX4's, G2X, 6PX...

Wonder when we'll see one with a combat grip? Looks like the Stratum, part deuce...

Helmut.G

Enlightened

Funny, after I read the first few posts I thought "500 lumens from surefire for less than 200$, I bet if that's true they simply put an XM-L into a 6PX".
Looks like I was right.

If these actually ship in the near future and live up to the claims, surefire will finally offer a light in roughly the same lumens/dollar range as many other brands.
Interesting development for sure!

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wasn't that much impressed with X series (heard too many issues with them to bite the bullet and buy one)... but THIS I'm getting...

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting that Surefire managed to keep this one pretty quiet. I'm looking forward to reviews....
From what I see, they did not really keep this quiet because it wasn't in their original product design plans. It seems to me that they are merely putting this out in a hurry by exploiting the success of the 6PX Pro and re-engineering the head a little to fit an XM-L in there. How else could they achieve 500 lumens without overdriving the LED if it is not XM-L they are using? It seems more like it was put together based on some slight amendments in the blueprint of the 6PX Pro. I hope I am wrong though, but I think Surefire is under a lot of pressure from competing manufacturers putting out lights in the hundreds of lumen range. It's a do or die situation they are in.

WDR65

Enlightened

All I can say is "wow!" I guess I expected something like this, but not in this model and style. I expected something a bit more like the L5 or L6. Very interesting.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will it be part of the low end line like the 6PX/G2X?

Looks like my question is answered in the Battery Junction listing:

SureFire's Fury is a more powerful, slightly larger version of our best-selling dual-output 6PX Pro.

And:

Pre-order today! Expected mid-late December!

Will SF deliver on time for a change? Or, is this yet another clever ruse to spur market demand?:huh:

Will the quoted price be 'introductory' as with the 6PX/G2X?

AOW has the same suspicion:

Get one before the price goes up, ala KX4's, G2X, 6PX...

I hope I am wrong though, but I think Surefire is under a lot of pressure from competing manufacturers putting out lights in the hundreds of lumen range. It's a do or die situation they are in.

It's considered heresy in some quarters but I've made similar observations that SF is trying to reinvent the product line to respond to fast moving LED technology, rising costs of onshore production and cutbacks in government spending.

Anyway, I've locked my wallet in a drawer upstairs and hidden my PayPal six digit token.:)

Imon

Enlightened

Interesting. As Helmut mentioned it does look like a 6PX with a larger head with probably an XM-L stuck inside.
I think this is a positive development, SF has stuck the XR-E behind a TIR lens on so many of their models but somehow I have doubts this flashlight uses TIR.

Which could be good or bad. I know TIR is pretty polarizing on CPF.

Helmut.G

Enlightened

Interesting. As Helmut mentioned it does look like a 6PX with a larger head with probably an XM-L stuck inside.
I think this is a positive development, SF has stuck the XR-E behind a TIR lens on so many of their model but somehow I have doubts this flashlight uses TIR.

Which could be good or bad. I know TIR is pretty polarizing on CPF.
The description says it is a reflector.