The ThruNite Neutron looks awesome, but is it for me?

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
I've been stuck in bed for 6 weeks (in and out of the hospital) following a nightmare of my appendix rupturing. So I've been researching some new gear to pass the time. My affinity for custom knives was going to get to expensive, so I decided a flashlight was the more moderate choice. :D I used to EDC a NiteCore D10 (WHICH I LOVED) but a battery leaked and ruined the board. So I'm due a new light. The piston drive was just cool.

I like the brightness of the Neutron, but also the flexibility of going 1xAA and 2xAA. Though it looks like it might be a little bulky for my pocket.

What are other lights that you would put on the table next to this one? I'm do not necessarily need the brightest light, but would rather have a well rounded, function light. A "moon light" mode would be prefered, though I know the Neutron doesn't have this.

Here are a few other lights I'm oogling. It's easy to get overwhelmed by all the specs, so what are the defining features that make each of these lights unique?: (I'm only going after AA lights as I'm moving to a third world country soon)
Eagletac D25A Clicky
Fenix E12
Olight S15
Zebralight SC52

Thanks so much. LOVE this forum, still digging through reviews and comparisons. Sorry if this is a questions that gets asked a million times. Please link to other posts if you have them!

Last edited:

Etsu

Enlightened
I've been planning on ordering this one, too. I'm pretty sure the neutron does have a moonlight mode. Long click from off to select it, I think.

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
I've been planning on ordering this one, too. I'm pretty sure the neutron does have a moonlight mode. Long click from off to select it, I think.

Huh. Indeed it does, all the reviews are running together!

twin63

Newly Enlightened
I would add the Foursevens Quark Pro to your list. I've owned a Quark AA since 2009. It's very versatile with the ability to interchange parts (lego) with other Foursevens lights. Plus, it has (in my opinion) a very good UI with excellent moonlight/low modes. I'm currently EDC'ing a lego'd version (QP2A-x head on a 1xAA body) thanks to CPF member "reppans". Tons of versatility with this light, especially with the wide voltage range (0.9v - 4.2v) and the ability to use a 1xAA or 2xAA body (you can purchase the spare bodies for around $20). If you go to the 4sevens sub-forum on CPF Marketplace, under Manufacturer's Corner, and look for the thread "Quark Tips and Tricks", reppans outlines the versatility of this set up, including running the light on multiple power sources other than AA and field bypassing the clicky. This could be important for you since you say you are moving to a third world country. This really is a good, "off grid" set up.

Hopefully reppans will chime in and give you more details. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
I would add the Foursevens Quark Pro to your list. I've owned a Quark AA since 2009. It's very versatile with the ability to interchange parts (lego) with other Foursevens lights. Plus, it has (in my opinion) a very good UI with excellent moonlight/low modes. I'm currently EDC'ing a lego'd version (QPA2-x head on a 1xAA body) thanks to CPF member "reppans". Tons of versatility with this light, especially with the wide voltage range (0.9v - 4.2v) and the ability to use a 1xAA or 2xAA body (you can purchase the spare bodies for around $20). If you go to the 4sevens sub-forum on CPF Marketplace, under Manufacturer's Corner, and look for the thread "Quark Tips and Tricks", reppans outlines the versatility of this set up, including running the light on multiple power sources other than AA and field bypassing the clicky. This could be important for you since you say you are moving to a third world country. This really is a good, "off grid" set up.

Hopefully reppans will chime in and give you more details. Hope this helps!

How do the Neutron and V11r compare in terms of voltage range? Great post, looking into options! I see several people talking about modding the V11r to take 17500 and 18### batteries as well.

Somnophore

Newly Enlightened
i have a neutron 1A, its great but i find its too large to edc pocket carry, i have 2 smaller keyring lights i use mostly and i take out the 1a if i remember and walking the dog or going out somewhere longer walk wise at night, but i dont edc it as it annoys me in my pocket

twin63

Newly Enlightened
How do the Neutron and V11r compare in terms of voltage range? Great post, looking into options! I see several people talking about modding the V11r to take 17500 and 18### batteries as well.
I don't have any experience with either light, but both list operating voltage as 0.9v - 4.2v.

Revvy

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for FourSevens. I'd go a slightly different route: buy the 2aa Mini and the 2aa Turbo. One for easy carry close up work (heck, get the 1aa option for the mini as well), the other with a bit more reach. Or, depending on what you'll have after you move skip the Turbo and try the MMR-X. Nice rechargeable set up that can recharge from your computer USB (if you bring one) or will at least charge internally reducing equipment you have to bring. 3rd world country may provide ample opportunity to use 8 hours of 150 lumens and be readily available with a simple way to recharge.

Just some thoughts. Good luck in your move.