Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

soapy

Newly Enlightened
The radiative heat from your gas iron will shrink the heatshrink just a fraction, but it will be just enough to require serious effort to get it past the widest point. (But careful work with sharp scissors will get you out of this one.)

It's only after you finish soldering the fiddliest of the wire-wrapped joints that you realise you left the heatshrink off that one! (I have no solution for this except write a list of actions/instructions and follow them.)

You always remember the thing you forgot you really needed the moment you see the "Order Confirmed" page on the wholesaler website with a big minimum order. Often when it appears in the "Today's Specials" list. :ironic:

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Dont get hanged up to much in hobby's like flashlights and such! It just might cost you your relationship with your significant other... :(

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
if your laser printer is experiencing even the tiniest amount of trouble with the paper feed mechanism, don't try to print a sheet of adhesive labels with it!
:hairpull:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the people working for corporations are honest and trying to do a good job.

Even the department of motor vehicles has some really nice people who try to be helpful.

Daniel

DMV guy: "Read me the fourth line"

Me: "KDHF PHWQ CHDX"

Him: "None of those were letters, they were all numbers."

Me (without looking): "You're funny."

Him: "Haha! You catch on quick!"

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the people working for corporations are honest and trying to do a good job.
Even the department of motor vehicles has some really nice people who try to be helpful.
The people working for corporations can surely be honest, but I have my doubts the higher-ups ever are. My theory is that if they were honest they couldn't have made it to their position.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
No matter how rosy the stockholder reports are, you can generally tell the company is going down the tubes when the tiolet paper in the mens room is changed to "industrial grade single ply".

There's a joke there about the bottom line, but I won't go there.

Daniel

Valolammas

Enlightened
The lighter the color of the dog's fur and the more expensive the groomer, the more likely said dog will head directly for the darkest and smelliest pile of whatever in the yard, and the more immediately after getting home from said expensive groomer said dog will do that I had a friend who could tell you all about this. Do you now what a Samoyed looks like?

Yes, and I've been lucky enough to see one after a mud bath. :eek: Underneath all that fur is a much smaller dog than you'd think.

But that reminded me of another lesson: if you are getting a dog, get one that is small enough for you to carry. I recently saw a neighbor struggling up the stairs with his golden retriever, who had hurt his paw. They live on the second floor, and our house does not have an elevator. (We live on the 4th floor, but our dog is only 8 kg.)

Corollary, but perhaps more importantly: get a dog small enough that, if necessary, you can wrestle it to the ground and keep it there. Ever seen a small woman try to control an agitated rottweiler? The dog will go where it wants to go and drag her along on the ground. Not a pretty sight.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't trust car salesmen or their ads. Their ads promise a good car at a decent price. When you get to the dealership or sale, they pull the ol' bait and switch. The car advertised is claimed to have been sold or doesn't have all that is advertised and they try to sell you one that is what you expected for thousands more. Another trick is the car "auction". One I went to claimed that they were selling cars at 50% below blue book value. When I went there, they explained that they had one car actually on sale and that it was sold out. All other used cars were about double what the same new car would cost. When I told them that was false advertising, they pointed to a sign that named the on sale car as an example, not as the only car on sale. The newspaper ad had no such example. Once they get you at the dealership, remember that if their lips are moving, they are lying. They get paid a commission for each car sold so they will tell you anything to get you to buy one. Find out the invoice price and try to get the car close to it for a new car. Find out the blue book value of a used car you want and don't pay more than it. Also, get the VIN # and look up the car history online before making a final decision. Don't buy a used hybrid car with a salvage title. Hybrids require specialized expensive service that can only be done by the manufacturer. Hybrids are worthless without the initial warranty. Don't buy any car with a salvage title. If it was stolen and sold later before you got it, you'll be out your money and the car if the original owner comes knocking at your door.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lesson learned: Don't let a bottle of soy sauce break in your trunk. Especially when you won't notice it for awhile. In the sun. When the exhaust system is right under your trunk.

I scrubbed and hosed and used the shop vac for three hours today. The trunk is going to sit open with a fan in it overnight but I fear that the smell of soy sauce is there to stay. I'm glad I stripped all the plastic and padding out of the trunk to save weight as soon as I bought the car, this would be 10,000 times worse if there was carpet in there.

:buddies:

DrunkenDonut

Newly Enlightened
Ever seen a small woman try to control an agitated rottweiler? The dog will go where it wants to go and drag her along on the ground. Not a pretty sight.

But also don't get one small enough that you're practically dragging the poor dog around wherever you go. I've seen some people "walking" their tiny tiny dogs that are barely able to keep up the pace.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Lesson learned: Don't let a bottle of soy sauce break in your trunk. Especially when you won't notice it for awhile. In the sun. When the exhaust system is right under your trunk.

Eww. That reminds me of a similar incident that happened to me years ago in the trunk of my old Plymouth Duster. I stashed some picnic food back there and failed to properly protect a tupperware container of potato salad. You know the rest. :green:

Last edited:

DrunkenDonut

Newly Enlightened
Speaking of wet things that smell - If your car has no cup holders, don't put your coffee on the passenger seat. It won't be there when you remember you had one, which will be about the time the smell of coffee wafting up from the floor reaches your nose.