Thrunite TC20

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The run time on high vs turbo seems off.
Going from high to turbo nets more than a 100% increase in brightness, but only a 10% decrease in battery life. Does Turbo step down due to heat?

-Turbo (3800 lumen; 130 minutes)
-High (1800 lumen; 145 minutes)
-Medium (320 lumen; 10.2 hrs)

-Low (38 lumen; 46 hrs)
-Firefly (0.5 lumen; 37 days)
-Strobe (2280 lumen; 180 minutes)

The technical specs are highly misleading because they are according to ANSI-NEMA standard which means the runtime is measured until output is 10% of initial. Likely gathered regulated runtime at high mode of 1800lm I guess is 40-50min and 15-20min at turbomode. Therefore I think the levels are unnecessary high. But I may underrate the efficiency of the XHP 70 2nd gen LED; is it much higher than MT-G2, anyone who knows?

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the button might be raised a bit. Might be a little problem for some. I always twist the tail cap for total lockout.

1__10298.1514268167.500.750.jpg

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The technical specs are highly misleading because they are according to ANSI-NEMA standard which means the runtime is measured until output is 10% of initial. Likely gathered regulated runtime at high mode of 1800lm I guess is 40-50min and 15-20min at turbomode. Therefore I think the levels are unnecessary high. But I may underrate; I don't know the efficiency of the XHP 70 2nd gen LED; is it much higher than MT-G2, anyone who knows?

Your suggesting it could sustain 1800 lumens for 45ish minutes? I wouldn't count on that. I'm thinking turbo for maybe 3ish minutes...high for perhaps 5~6 ish. Then run at some much lower level as is common for compact high lumen lights.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your suggesting it could sustain 1800 lumens for 45ish minutes? I wouldn't count on that. I'm thinking turbo for maybe 3ish minutes...high for perhaps 5~6 ish. Then run at some much lower level as is common for compact high lumen lights.

I don't know but I base my thought about Fenix PD40 MT-G2 which is measured to around 1,5hours at 1000lm so if the XHP 70 2nd gen is at least as efficient I think it's a fair guess. Therefore I wonder about how efficient XHP 70 2nd gen is compared to MT-G2. In my opinion a light should provide at least 1hour at the next highest mode and therefore I think the high and turbo mode of TC20 are unnecessary high. I am looking forward to some review with runtime graph. If TC20 can't provide more than a few minutes even at high mode it's a big drawback and I will use TC20 mostly at the 320lm mid mode as a tailstanding indoors light...
Anyway the price is great with 20% discount.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know but I base my thought about Fenix PD40 MT-G2 which is measured to around 1,5hours at 1000lm so if the XHP 70 2nd gen is at least as efficient I think it's a fair guess. Therefore I wonder about how efficient XHP 70 2nd gen is compared to MT-G2. In my opinion a light should provide at least 1hour at the next highest mode and therefore I think the high and turbo mode of TC20 are unnecessary high. I am looking forward to some review with runtime graph. If TC20 can't provide more than a few minutes even at high mode it's a big drawback and I will use TC20 mostly at the 320lm mid mode as a tailstanding indoors light...
Anyway the price is great with 20% discount.

I do think they should have had added a mode in between 320 and 1800. Something sustainable without overheating...but brighter than 320. Maybe 600 to 700ish for example.

totobel

Newly Enlightened
The whole goal of this light is massive power so the level of high and medium are just right i think, especially that its very floody. 1800lm floody is the same or even less brighr than a 1000lm xpl hi
I also expect 1800lm forever without stepdown. Thrunite = very serious poop.
Its gonna fight mt tn4a, my most versatile light so far (can also run forever without stepdown)

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
It sounds like this light has ramping UI. I suspect the runtimes at predefined levels is just for reference.
That would be great. If it can't sustain 1,800, you could lower it just a bit.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like this light has ramping UI. I suspect the runtimes at predefined levels is just for reference.
That would be great. If it can't sustain 1,800, you could lower it just a bit.
There is nothing on the product page to indicate that the TC20 has a ramping UI. Looking at the page, the UI seems to be the current Thrunite UI.

• Turn ON/OFF
    Single click the switch to turn the light on and off.
  • To Change Modes:
    When the light is on, long press the side switch to cycle through low, medium and high.
    Shortcut to firefly: When the light is off, long press the side switch to get firefly mode.
    Double click to turn to turbo from any mode. Another double click to get strobe.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I see. It says long press to cycle through low/medium/high. That's not ramping. It's the same interface as the TN4A. My mistake.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do think they should have had added a mode in between 320 and 1800. Something sustainable without overheating...but brighter than 320. Maybe 600 to 700ish for example.

I absolutely agree with that. Well; if TC20 puts out 1800lm for an hour I will be very happy! ;-)

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the 20% off still available?

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I wish it did have a mode between 320 and 1800, I can honestly say most of my lights gets used at a level of 150 or less. 320 for me is a good all around output and the two higher modes are just a nice to have bonus. Don't get me wrong, my XHP50 P60 build is nice to use and when I need to a compact light that will still light up a vast area, it gets used but that is a rare occasion anymore. With that said though, if I can swing it this light might just get added to my collection.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I wish it did have a mode between 320 and 1800, I can honestly say most of my lights gets used at a level of 150 or less. 320 for me is a good all around output and the two higher modes are just a nice to have bonus. Don't get me wrong, my XHP50 P60 build is nice to use and when I need to a compact light that will still light up a vast area, it gets used but that is a rare occasion anymore. With that said though, if I can swing it this light might just get added to my collection.

Thats true with me too. But still, seems a bit to large of a gap...

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is a good question. But..I doubt it. The voltage LED in the center of the side switch is about the only thing TN kept from the TN4A which is of course just fine. The TC20 "next generation" XHP70 is supposed to be the XHP70.2. The original quad die very high output emitters until recently had very hard times trying to eliminate the PLUS symbol artifacts having what are 4 different LED's to far apart from each other. Any .2 XHP emitter is supposed to be the new more sophisticated version of the same thing just with the 4 separate LED's so close together this time that any PLUS sign artifacts should either be gone totally or very close to it.

The POWER requirement for the TC20...it would have to have totally different guts than the TN4A. That is saying a LOT as I have EVERY SINGLE TN4A VARIANT...they are just THAT good...

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
The code TC20 also works for this light. I don't know if that will be active longer than the Christmas code.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone want to recommend a reasonably priced 26650 protected battery for backup to this light? I don't see one available on Thrunite's website. Or, should I wait cause not all 26650 cells are the same dimensions?

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone want to recommend a reasonably priced 26650 protected battery for backup to this light? I don't see one available on Thrunite's website. Or, should I wait cause not all 26650 cells are the same dimensions?

Thrunites feature their own battery protection. Adding one more you reduce its performance.