Thrunite TC20

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunites feature their own battery protection. Adding one more you reduce its performance.

The battery that comes with it is protected. So, that would be the safe bet considering we don't know if it supports flat tops or just button tops. We also don't know what length restrictions it might have.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pic showing the charge port.

s-l1600.jpg

gnef

Enlightened
Well, I just received mine, woohoo! It came earlier than anticipated. I have it charging right now.

For those that receive theirs and try to charge it immediately and it flashes purple, it is most likely due to a cardboard disc they use to prevent the positive terminal of the battery from connecting to the head, just unscrew the head, take it off, and then it should charge normally.

I really like the form factor though. It is just a bit taller than the TN4A form factor, but a lot more diminutive in the hand, which feels quite pleasant. The power button is raised, but I don't know if that will be a problem for me yet.

Overall, this is the first flashlight that I've been excited about in a while.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Awesome. Can't wait to hear impressions. Especially how long it can maintain high before step down, if at all.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just received mine, woohoo! It came earlier than anticipated. I have it charging right now.

For those that receive theirs and try to charge it immediately and it flashes purple, it is most likely due to a cardboard disc they use to prevent the positive terminal of the battery from connecting to the head, just unscrew the head, take it off, and then it should charge normally.

I really like the form factor though. It is just a bit taller than the TN4A form factor, but a lot more diminutive in the hand, which feels quite pleasant. The power button is raised, but I don't know if that will be a problem for me yet.

Overall, this is the first flashlight that I've been excited about in a while.

How well does it work on the 300ish lumen level? Good for walking a dog...general campground use?

Soverign

Newly Enlightened
Got mine today in the mail too! Really liking this light! And now that its dark, time to compare to my DN70 and R50 Pro Seeker.

gnef

Enlightened
How well does it work on the 300ish lumen level? Good for walking a dog...general campground use?

I think it would work great for those tasks. Depending on what you do on a campground, the low may be enough.

For me, the best part is the form factor for the variety of brightness levels and the runtime. It hits the best ratios for me.

I'm actually fairly ambivalent to the USB charging. This is my first light that uses it as it was never a selling point for me for any of the prior flashlights. It is convenient since I have these USB cables everywhere, but it also increases the complexity (and cost, though I consider the price more than reasonable for this model) of the light and adds a hole to the body of the flashlight. So, it is convenient, but I also don't mind removing batteries to recharge them, and I keep plenty of spares on hand so it is never a problem to just swap a battery in.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today in the mail too! Really liking this light! And now that its dark, time to compare to my DN70 and R50 Pro Seeker.

Alright, it's the next day :) Can you share the impressions of your comparison?

ncvarmint2016

Enlightened
please share your impressions also, i am looking at the TC20 and the eagtac TX3G and the thehnite is $40ish cheaper but the eagtac has the more warmish tint i like 4000k vs. 5000k.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, came in. Amazon box. Anodizing is perfect from what I can tell. Button is smaller than those used on the TN 30 and 36 and does protrude a bit, easy to find in the dark. Lockout is easy, short twist. Getting picky, wish they could have used the larger button. Lanyard did not come with the little guide pin so a little effort is required to attach it. Love the size for a general duty light. Getting picky again, maybe a hair to short in the hand...think I might like a 2X 26650 size...but not sure. Holster is average quality, nice but nothing to write home about. Led is perfectly centered and reflector clean. Battery level out of the box is 4.01 volts. Currently charging it for some playing tonight.

Last edited:

Soverign

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I am going out of town so this will be short but I will follow up next week with some photos.
R50 Pro Seeker has more spill than the TC20. Both seem to have the same throw and output levels close to each other. The TC20 does have firefly but I dont have a use for that yet. Both UI work almost the same. Build quality is great and I like the lanyard attachment point. Universal Micro USB vs cool unique magnetic charger. TC20 breaks down into 3 parts, Head, body, tail where the R50 only the tail comes off.
As for the DN70, Its a bit smaller but performance is nearly identical to the TC20.
My personal opinion is that the DN70 is almost too small, no lanyard hole and while I love the OLED display the buttons are hard to find without looking. R50 easier to hold, ramping UI requires no thought, button is easy to use. TC20 has a great button, ramping UI, lanyard hole. Only downside could possibly be that it breaks into 3 parts vs the 2 of the R50. DN70 and TC20 use standard Micro USB cable to charge. R50 has cool but unique magnetic cord. Vin over at Skyluman's modified R50 would be the ultimate light, I would just want a lanyard hole for my own preference.
BrandDN70TC20R50
Length113mm119mm128mm
Head38mm42mm42mm
Body34mm34mm32mm
Battery266502665026650
Lumens380038002500
Lux
Throw325320300
CREEXHP70XHP70XHP50
Ultra low
Low
Mid
High
Turbo
Coupon Price
$50
$72
$100

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The order status for my TC20 is still Awaiting fulfillment. And the order date is dec 26. The TN42 I ordered a week after is shipped today, though.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did not get a chance to play with it outside cause rain and company. But playing with it inside I am having some issues with the turbo setting. It seems to be unreliable. For a fraction of a second it goes into turbo but then hops down. Not every time though. Another time it seemed to struggle...then the red light came on (fully charged battery). And generally I cannot tell much if any difference between high and turbo. I don't know if it's the battery not able to handle the amp draw...or the light itself. Either way, might just be my sample...or my particular battery.

The light has no lube on the threads.

Button feels sloppy. And despite being raised, I found it a bit hard to find.

Light gets hot on high. A good thing as it means the heat is being transferred away from the LED and electronics to the body well. But do not think it will hold that level for an extended run...or be wise to try to. It does run very well at the 320 lumen setting, hardly gets warm at all. So my take...what we have here is a 320 lumen light with and excellent run time at that level...that can light up an area brightly for spotting, if only for a moment or two.

Beam is very nice, smooth transition. For sure not a thrower, hotspot is large, great for general use.

Last edited:

gnef

Enlightened
well, I've been playing with mine a bit more lately. I have no way of testing the brightness, but the amount of light coming out is reasonable to my expectations.

I do find the beam profile to be interesting in color. I bought the cool white version. the hot spot itself is cool white, but there is some creaminess of a neutral color around the hotspot, and then it is cool white beyond that again. I do not find it distracting, just an interesting tidbit.

I do recharge it often since I have micro usb everywhere. I don't find the cover difficult to remove, I usually just swipe my thumb across it, and it opens up easily enough.

The text printing wasn't perfect, but I use my lights, which means I drop them, which means they do not stay in pristine condition for very long anyway.

I actually use firefly the most since I use the light as I go around the house at night checking doors and the like before going to bed, and it is one feature I appreciate from thrunite from all the lights I've bought from them.

This light definitely gets warm quickly on turbo when I've played around with it. It is also considerably bright for its size when run on turbo. I don't find turbo to be that much more useful than high in most situations, but I definitely play the most with turbo. There is a significant difference in brightness, but at short distances it doesn't make that big of a difference. I use it in candle mode to light up a full room, and it works well for that, though it does get fairly warm on turbo when used in this manner.

This has quickly become my favorite light to carry in a jacket. I appreciate the form factor the most. Previously I used a TN4A Hi in my jacket pocket which I liked already - previous to that was the mini TN 30 which is enormous compared to these in a jacket pocket.

It is a great general use light for me, and I expect to use it for quite a while. It really does hit the right balance of factors for me in terms of size, brightness levels, ease of charging, etc. I have become a big fan of 26650 lights ever since my first 4sevens S12 and X10 which have been retired for a while now. I also have a convoy L6 which uses 26650 batteries which has the output as the TC20, which just astounds me considering the size of the TC20.

If you can't tell, I am quite happy with the light. Though, admittedly, I am typically quite happy with my lights when I first get them. I appreciate the advances each time I get the newer one (though with how bright and efficient they have become, I don't buy as often as I used to when things were changing so rapidly - anyone remember the Nuwai Q3?)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did a runtime test on the 320 lumen level...9 hours 55 minutes. While not quite the claimed 10.2 hours it has excellent runtime at that very useful level. Red light came on at 9 hours 30 minutes, so 25 minute warning time. I was not able to get the light to operate while charging as the paperwork states it will. Not even moonlight mode.

Several reviews are up now on this light...none compare it to the Imalent DN70, the main competition in this battery format size I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLYArAhMAfU

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did a runtime test on the 320 lumen level...9 hours 55 minutes. While not quite the claimed 10.2 hours it has excellent runtime at that very useful level. Red light came on at 9 hours 30 minutes, so 25 minute warning time. I was not able to get the light to operate while charging as the paperwork states it will. Not even moonlight mode.

Several reviews are up now on this light...none compare it to the Imalent DN70, the main competition in this battery format size I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLYArAhMAfU

That's good indeed. It definitely makes this light very useful. Then the question is if the high mode really is ~1800lm and what runtime it could be. I would like that it actually had been significantly lower for the sake of runtime and heat issues.