Thrunite TC20

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's good indeed. It definitely makes this light very useful. Then the question is if the high mode really is ~1800lm and what runtime it could be. I would like that it actually had been significantly lower for the sake of runtime and heat issues.

Yea, they really should have added a 700ish level. I can say the light does not heat up at all on 320...runs great, staying surprisingly cool.

totobel

Newly Enlightened
700lm doesnt look twice as bright as 350 lumens, its not linear for the eyes

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
700lm doesnt look twice as bright as 350 lumens, its not linear for the eyes

True, think I have read it takes 3X. We are focused on a max brightness level without heating the battery and electronics.

I sprayed just a hair of WD-40 in the head and tailcap/spring area. And cleaned N greased the threads. The light is now working very well on high and turbo. Can now see a noticable difference between the two levels...and no flickering and red light. Starting to like this bright little light. Also thinking the 38 lumen 46 hour runtime level could be very useful should the power go out for an extended time...as can happen occasionally down here in Florida from storms. Makes for a nice ceiling bounce room light level.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow the specs seem amazing especially considering it can run at 1,800 lumens sustained for 2hrs 25mins per a review on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078JLG5DB/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Just need to see some beam shot comparisons.

Still this specification is misleading because it means until the output is 10% of initial, consequently 180lm.
I would be very happy if 1800lm is sustainable for 1hour. I guess more likely 40-50min.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only way to tell if it steps down or not for sure(thermally regulated or timed step-down) is when someone does a runtime/output graph with a light meter. Our eyes are terrible at seeing changes in brightness, especially when it happens over time.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only way to tell if it steps down or not for sure(thermally regulated or timed step-down) is when someone does a runtime/output graph with a light meter. Our eyes are terrible at seeing changes in brightness, especially when it happens over time.

That's definitely true. I would say that usually we don't notice a 30% decline if it occurs gradually, and in some cases not even a halvening. A luxmeter is good to have.

pkeuse

Newly Enlightened
Anyone want to recommend a reasonably priced 26650 protected battery for backup to this light? I don't see one available on Thrunite's website. Or, should I wait cause not all 26650 cells are the same dimensions?

For what it's worth, I sent email to Thrunite, asking if they had or would have batteries available separately for the TC20 and according to Julia, they do not. She did say that the Nitecore NI2650DW would be OK.

CyberTrpr

Newly Enlightened
I just got my TC20 today and am very impressed with it. I have been a long time user of Zebralights but may carry this one a lot in the future. Does anyone know where you could get a pocket clip that would fit the larger body of this light? Is is around 33mm so most of the 18650 body clips will be too small. I have a carpendar side pant pocket that I carry in and this thing fits perfect. Just need a clip to keep it secure. I looked to see if anyone put a clip on their R50 or TM03 but didn't find anything. Any ideas? Thanks

Zonk

Newly Enlightened
ThruNite's TC20 26650 battery is rated at 18.5Wh and Olight's 18650 3600 mAH battery is rated at 12.9 Wh. I don't know the weights of either of those batteries, but was thinking that from a battery weight vs. watt hour standpoint, the 18650 would be about twice as efficient as the best 26650s. Am I correct?

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
ThruNite's TC20 26650 battery is rated at 18.5Wh and Olight's 18650 3600 mAH battery is rated at 12.9 Wh. I don't know the weights of either of those batteries, but was thinking that from a battery weight vs. watt hour standpoint, the 18650 would be about twice as efficient as the best 26650s. Am I correct?

Nope :) In high current application a good 18650 cell is roughly only half the capacity of a good 26650 cell:

Samsung_INR18650-30_Q_10-15-20_A.png
Samsung_INR18650-30_Q_10-15-20_A.png

Last edited:

Zonk

Newly Enlightened
From an overall lumen standpoint (adjusted for battery weight), would two 18650s likely be better suited to maximize lumens in the medium mode?

Are battery watt hours meaningless with regard to maximum overall lumen (when comparing a flashlight like the Marauder that uses 18650s with the TC20 which uses a 26650)?

Last edited:

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
I received my Thrunite TC20 today. There is something odd in the UI that I was not expecting and I'm wondering whether my sample has a glitch or if all the TC20's have the same UI. When I have the light in low for more than four seconds, then press and hold, it will go to medium as expected. When I have it in high for more than four seconds, then press and hold, it will go to low as expected. But when I have the light in medium for more than four seconds, then press and hold, instead of going to high as expected, it goes to low, then press and hold to medium, then press and hold to high. In other words it seems when it is in medium for long enough for memory to kick in, then next press and hold always takes it to low instead of going to high as I would have expected it to. Could some of you who also received your TC20 please check and see if your light goes to low next, or goes to high next when left in medium for more than four seconds, then press and hold. No big deal, I could live with the UI as it is, just curious to know if mine has a glitch or if they all work like this. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
FOM - No glitch, it's standard/normal UI for Thrunite.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it's the same with TN models with same switch. Actually I like it and prefer it because I don't need to cycle through high mode if I want to step down from mid mode. In a case when I need instant high brightness a double click will give turbomode from any brightness level.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any type of electronic lockout on this light? I saw a video on youtube and it gets to the point where the tailcap will fall off to be able to lockout the light, which is to say it would be best to remove the battery if throwing this light in a pack.