Thrunite Ti - The perfect little pocket light no more

jbrett14

Enlightened
I made the same transition. My Ti just got...rough. the non-anodized threads really started to grind, even with lube and the thing ate O-rings as snacks. Picked up an Olight i3S after being very impressed with the specs for the price. Buttery smooth anodized square threads, not a battery crusher, and current regulated with great battery life. This thing has been tough as nails. It's ridden on my keychain for the better part of a year now and taken 2 or 3 trips through the washer and lived, although the ano is gone off of one end. Pocket clip is very strong but the crab claw attachment broke after only a week or two so don't use that. Only gripe is sometimes when it's really cold, it gets stuck on medium mode and I see you (jbrett14) also live in Michigan so that could be an issue. Although its only happened to me once. They may have fixed that issue since I bought it.

I received one of these brand new Olights as a warranty replacement for a failed iTP. Put it on my wife's key chain. It died within a year of very little use. This is when I decided to buy the Thrunites. Thus far, all 3 brands have proven to be a let down, to me.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Take a look at te innovation xs. The momentary button is incredibly difficult to use bit other than that the light is awesome.

I will check it out. But after doing a little research into the Peak, I am very intrigued at the lumen output they claim. Doesn't seem possible to get 100+ lumens (much less 200) from a single AAA, but that is what they claim. If it's true, I might be buying a Peak. Just don't want QTC.

Trevilux

Enlightened
I'm happy with Lumapower LM21 XP-G2, great with NiMH (awesome with 10440 EFEST)

http://forolinternas.com/viewtopic.php?p=109663#p109663

cDfLHb3.jpg

zHuDKT9.jpg

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I loved my Ti but found myself wanting more modes. I've since gotten an iTp A3 that I run on 10440 Li-Ions for a 3-mode light with up to about 200 lumens in short bursts. Only problem is the horrendously blue tint...the Ti has a MUCH better tint.

To answer your previous question: yes, the SC52 has COMPLETELY solved the accidental activation issue that the SC51 had. Although there's definitely potential to get a green-tinted emitter :-(

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Peak Eiger large optic head with XPG2 N, SS AAA body, momentary switch and no QTC from Oveready. Solid, bright and nice beam/tint. Longer than other AAA lights, but built like a bank vault. Other heads and bodies are available. I have a Nichia 219 mule with QTC on a 10180 body and it is great, too. Oveready will have them in stock again. QTC is an option - just pick it without.

The Lumintop tool is a good AAA clicky.

i've read the Microstream can run on a 10440 li-ion and is very bright.

I just got the Tain Ottavino and it is wonderful. Beautiful ti body and great UI - tighten to off, loosen to L and keep loosening to H. XPG2 N. Runs on an Eneloop. I'm waiting for the 10280. It will probably replace the Peak Eiger mule. Although not clickies, the UI is sweet. Much better than the Ti2.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Can you, or anyone else, confirm that these Peak AAA lights actually do put out as much light as they claim? Are they as bright as the Thrunite Ti?

What about run time? Are they regulated?

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
oveready seems to be sold out now, but you can always ask ElectronGuru. he is exceptional to work with and one of the finest dealers we have here.
he offers eigers w/o QTC.

RMSK is another dealer with a large selection of peak lights. they also offer eigers w/o QTC. ive never ordered from them, so cant say much else.

Or you can try ordering direct from peak. calling them over the phone is the best way to get in touch. they have never failed to answer when i call, except maybe around lunch time. :eek:

the claimed 200 lumens is when using a li-ion battery. when using a cell with around 1.5v it be probably be around half that. im sure 60+ lumens is easily possible. there are also many different emitters used, some such as the cooler tints, and more recently released emitters will put out more lumens.

jbrett14

Enlightened
The Eiger X is stated to put out some 425 lumens with a single 10440. This just seems unbelievable to me. Can anyone attest to this? I cannot imagine a little AAA-sized light being brighter than, for example, my ZL SC51.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Of course I saw this thread after buying about a dozen single mode Ti's as stocking stuffers for non-flashaholics. Hoping the single mode version is more reliable.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Of course I saw this thread after buying about a dozen single mode Ti's as stocking stuffers for non-flashaholics. Hoping the single mode version is more reliable.

Sorry I didn't post sooner. That is exactly what I did last Christmas. Gave away about 6 as gifts. I will have to check with those I gave them to, to see if any of them have had failures as well.

I suspect the single mode will be better. They do put out great light when they work. I hope yours work out.

glowbug123

Newly Enlightened
Ti has been on girlfriends keys for about 6 months. low no longer works as she screwed the head down too much. hihg still works. Nice tint and bright and I guess worth the 10 bucks I paid but I dont trust it. You get what you pay for and with chinese products you tend to get less than you paid for. But 10 bucks doesnt even get you thru mcDonalds anymore .

Go Peak it will not fail you . My Fenix E05 is going strong on my keychain after a month. I bougght a 2nd one when they were on sale for $9 bucks. But I am disappointed to hear they have problems when dropped. I drop my keys all the time so we will see what happens. I carry 2 lights now as 2 is 1 and 1 is none :)

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Ti has been on girlfriends keys for about 6 months. low no longer works as she screwed the head down too much. hihg still works. Nice tint and bright and I guess worth the 10 bucks I paid but I dont trust it. You get what you pay for and with chinese products you tend to get less than you paid for. But 10 bucks doesnt even get you thru mcDonalds anymore .

Go Peak it will not fail you . My Fenix E05 is going strong on my keychain after a month. I bougght a 2nd one when they were on sale for $9 bucks. But I am disappointed to hear they have problems when dropped. I drop my keys all the time so we will see what happens. I carry 2 lights now as 2 is 1 and 1 is none :)

Let's skip the negative 'nationalist' comments and focus on the pros and cons of each light. As far as a product goes, many utilitarians could give a flying fudge where stuff is manufactured. My Maglite solitaire, in my humble opinion, was possibly the worst aaa flashlight ever created in terms of technology and upgrade-ability. However, it has survived countless wash cycles and falls from numerous heights even with the stock incandescent bulbs. The bulb would burn out before it shattered. If it works and can take abuse, then it is a good product. Clearly the thrunite Ti selector tab was a serious design flaw. The Peaks (I hope to own one soon) are at 600% the cost of a thrunite TiS but seem to offer much more durability and innovation than most other AAA sized lights.

To be honest, I would usually agree that most things made in China are considered expendable. However, there are relatively 'honest' companies out there who make great products that offer ALOT of bang for the buck.

All in all, I think the overall spirit of the thread is: If you want something pretty comparatively bomb proof and no-hassle, just get a Peak and be done with it.

jbrett14

Enlightened
The Peak DOES look very impressive, but I have yet to hear if it's regulated. Not sure I would be happy with a light that slowly diminishes with battery depletion, like the old incans. To me, that is step back in time.

If someone can verify that they are regulated, I am ready to pull the trigger today.

Regarding products made in China: From my experience, sometimes you do get what you pay, sometimes you get more than you paid for, and sometimes you get less. But I find this is the case with products made in ANY country, including the USA. We all have LOTS of great products in our homes that were made in China, including televisions, cell phones, cameras, printers, scanners, toasters, computers, etc. It's important to remember that the reason that there are many cheap products made in China has nothing to do with Chinese folks not being capable of building quality products. It's because of how business men, often AMERICAN business men, have taken advantage of the cheaper labor over there, and who have put less priority on quality, with the emphasis on profits. I have seen plenty of junk "made in America", from automobiles to houses. Just trying to keep things in perspective. So, as was suggested, let's "focus on the pros and cons of each light".

seb13

Newly Enlightened
The Eiger X is stated to put out some 425 lumens with a single 10440. This just seems unbelievable to me. Can anyone attest to this? I cannot imagine a little AAA-sized light being brighter than, for example, my ZL SC51.

I don't know exactly how many lumens she can deliver. But i compared my Eiger X with a Fenix LD20 (200 lm) and a Nitecore SRT3 (550 lm) and she's a lot brighter than the LD20, very near to the SRT3. I realy think that the ~ 400 lumens are true.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
the claimed 200 lumens is when using a li-ion battery. when using a cell with around 1.5v it be probably be around half that. im sure 60+ lumens is easily possible. there are also many different emitters used, some such as the cooler tints, and more recently released emitters will put out more lumens.

FWIW, I recently recv'd an El Capitan and metered it on an Eneloop/3V CRAA/14500 at 60/125/200 lumens, respectively. That said, I do use a conservative Foursevens/Eagletac lumen scale which has my H51w/SC52 at 125/200 lumens on an Eneloop.

Lampbeam

Newly Enlightened
My Blackberry 8120 was a small little smart phone that I used to wear around my neck. It never got dropped and was seldomly misplaced. It made me accustomed to having something around my neck. The blackberry got replaced with an Android which is too big to wear like that. Then, I got an SC52w and decided to wear that around my neck. It is with me all the time and I use it all the time so why not? When I want to take my glasses off, I clip the light into the top of a pocket and put my glasses on the cord with a little binder clip to keep them from falling off. The cord is 1/8 of an inch by 32 to 35 inches long tied together with a double fisherman's knot.

Last edited:

jbrett14

Enlightened
I don't know exactly how many lumens she can deliver. But i compared my Eiger X with a Fenix LD20 (200 lm) and a Nitecore SRT3 (550 lm) and she's a lot brighter than the LD20, very near to the SRT3. I realy think that the ~ 400 lumens are true.

Thanks for sharing this. Much appreciated. Have any idea of run time on high?

jbrett14

Enlightened
FWIW, I recently recv'd an El Capitan and metered it on an Eneloop/3V CRAA/14500 at 60/125/200 lumens, respectively. That said, I do use a conservative Foursevens/Eagletac lumen scale which has my H51w/SC52 at 125/200 lumens on an Eneloop.

Thanks for sharing this. Is yours regulated or can you see a noticeable difference in output during the depletion of the battery?

Latest posts