• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Ti PD-XP-G ! Will the dream come true Don???

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest, I would just love one of your PD style lights Don.

I missed out on your last run of LS20's because of I was so naive.

:ohgeez:

I do understand exactly where you are coming from however, and your reservations to do another run is completely understandable, especially with the information you have just provided us.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Assuming that I could find a viable source for an appropriate converter and justify any associated development costs and NRE, how many of you would consider a two level output PD XP-G at say a cost of $520 a superior solution over the 3 speed Haiku that is $450? I for one consider the Haiku a superior solution over a 2 speed PD even if the price was the same.
In principle I'd go for the PD. Its interface is more direct, I've never felt much use for more than two levels, and I have a preference for mechanically switched lights with no microprocessors. In fact I'm persuaded enough by the Lunasol concept that I don't even feel much use for more than one level unless the beam shape also changes (for reading a map or something like that, I like having no hot spot at all). So I continue to be absolutely delighted with my 1-speed Sundrop and I was tempted to buy a backup for it on BST last week even though I'm supposedly trying to control expenditures. I'd have been much less tempted by the 3-speed model. (I do realize that I'm a little bit weird in that regard). But, one of these days, I'm going to try to snag an LS20. :thumbsup:

fyrstormer

Banned
It really kills me to think that Don is no longer interested in making lights with the best switching mechanism in the industry... please don't tell us sad things like that SoupTree.
It's definitely the most unique switching mechanism in the industry, but have you had the pleasure of using a Haiku? It takes about five seconds to get used to tap-tap-tapping the switch to change modes. I have to say, of all the clicky-switching mechanisms I've tried, his is pretty much the best. I'm really not sure how to improve on it, other than to somehow integrate it with a progressive-twisty switch as well.

fyrstormer

Banned
Assuming that I could find a viable source for an appropriate converter and justify any associated development costs and NRE, how many of you would consider a two level output PD XP-G at say a cost of $520 a superior solution over the 3 speed Haiku that is $450? I for one consider the Haiku a superior solution over a 2 speed PD even if the price was the same.

Would you prefer the PD to have a threaded bezel ring even though this would lengthen the head and block some of the spill or would the present solution of a window retained by an O-ring be acceptable?
I understand what you're saying Don, and unless a solution for the clicky+twisty idea in my previous post popped into your head in a dream or something, I'd have to agree that the Haiku is a better realistic solution for people who just want the damn flashlight to turn on predictably.

That being said, I would pay extra for screw-in bezels instead of fixed bezels, because it makes it SO much easier to clean the lense, or to change to a bezel that doesn't dig into my thigh, or whatever. If it were my decision, I'd redesign the Haiku to use a removable bezel tonight and send the order to the shop tomorrow. I realize it's not practical to do that right this instant, but I do hope you reconsider using removable bezels in future designs.

toby_pra

Flashaholic
I would have no problem with a two level PD.

I dont need 3 levels of light. So a ti PD-XPG would be perfect for me.

Would there still be any problems Don? I also think that 520$ is a reasonable
price, when i think about the current prices on B/S/T...;)

carrot

Flashaholic
I personally get confused when more than 2 levels are involved. I have to then decide how much light I want, which I never really know, so I always ignore all the levels and just go for min or max. Whatever low mode is, it's good for night time bathroom trips and whatever high is, it's good for everything else (speaking as a mizer owner). So to me the 3 levels of the Haiku adds one superfluous level that I do not need. Also, the UI choice of the Haiku will likely not work as well for me, as the light is no longer predictable for boneheads like me -- if the level it turns on at is the same as what it turned off at unless it was cycled, then I have to remember to set the light to whatever I think I'll want it to be the next time I'm using it. Wouldn't want to walk into a movie theatre, try to find my seat and blind everyone...

I enjoy having clicky lights and they are fun and exciting to use but I also do not trust them on some level, as I have had enough accidental activations and worse, several failures. I know the McClicky is a great switch, because everything Don works on approaches perfection, but my primary EDC is, and always will be a twisty. Since the McLux PD offers both momentary and constant-on via twisty, it offers the robustness and the idiotproofing that I need.

As far as the bezel I'd be quite pleased if the PD design remained the same as it has always been, with a threaded bezel ring, but I understand that the o-ring design has some advantages. I am not a flashlight designer, and I don't pretend to have the experience that Don has, so I believe the decision is best left to Don himself, since the bezel ring or lack thereof has little effect on how I use my light. I assumed that the task of making a PD XP-G would be as simple as designing a new reflector, digging out the old designs for the original Ti PD (which is timeless) and then popping in a new LED but if there is a plan to refresh the PD design then I will still be grateful that Don has decided to revive my favorite switching mechanism for one more go.

I don't really know how the PD's sell for you, but to my recollection the last wave of PD's sold almost instantly. While you may feel that the Haiku is a far superior design I am sure there are still many fans of the PD left. If you decide the PD is done for good, I will be satisfied to stay with old tech. I may eventually come around to try the Haiku but I honestly can't see how this timeless UI design can be bested.

Last edited:

brucec

Enlightened
It gives me a headache even contemplating a response but I suppose I should try.

Would you prefer the PD to have a threaded bezel ring even though this would lengthen the head and block some of the spill or would the present solution of a window retained by an O-ring be acceptable?

You guys are not privy to all of the aspects of obtaining the required components or the disparity in minimum quantities required but if you will accept my word for it, I do end up with excess components which can't be used unless a further program can exploit them.

I think the PD is ideal for momentary access to two levels or two channels (or even more levels with a software driven solution like the Arc 6 and maybe some of the NiteCore lights). For latching on, I think a clickie is superior. For three levels like the Haiku XP-G offers, The clickie wins in my book both in terms of momentary and latched on activation.

I'd go for a 2-level Ti PD-XPG optimized for the greater efficiency. Low level around 30 lumens and high at around 120 lumens for 2hrs would be nice. O-ring retained window is fine. $520 sounds good, or actually, whatever price it takes to make it happen. That goes for any other PD light too, such as an emitter upgrade on the LS20. Don't let the PD lights fade into oblivion!

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It gives me a headache even contemplating a response but I suppose I should try.

You guys are not privy to all of the aspects of obtaining the required components or the disparity in minimum quantities required but if you will accept my word for it, I do end up with excess components which can't be used unless a further program can exploit them.

I think the PD is ideal for momentary access to two levels or two channels (or even more levels with a software driven solution like the Arc 6 and maybe some of the NiteCore lights). For latching on, I think a clickie is superior. For three levels like the Haiku XP-G offers, The clickie wins in my book both in terms of momentary and latched on activation.

Functionally, The Haiku is probably better, but to your disliking, many of these light do become shelf queens or show-off pieces & many buyers might have bought for better looking head (IMHO, The PD head look better than the Haiku "wrinkled neck" look, no disrespect here) and cool piston drive with trit.

So I think if you bring it back without changing the look, it'll be very successful regardless if 2 speed/3 speed or better or worse UI vs. HaiKu.

Basically, what I think is that many buyers want it for the "coolness" more than the "functionality", but they may not realize that or admit it openly, therefore presenting misleading market information. Personally, I like the high being real high, like the the Quark Max ~180 OTF.

Just my 2 cents & I could be wrong, so I am putting my flame suit on right now :devil:

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't know what you are insinuating but none of my McGizmos are shelf queens. 3 of 4 look like they've been through hell. They are simply the best lights around, for both users and collectors.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

FOR ME (who else would I be speaking for) the PD is a superior switching mechanism and solution, even with only two levels. I like to know, with 100% certainty, what will happen when I press that button. OK, so low isn't crazy low,and maybe high will be too high, but I can know what will happen, and have IMMEDIATE access to both levels, and that is why I sold my Haiku to fund another LS20 purchase. Now, the haiku is an AMAZING light, and if i didn't carry a LS20 or a PD-S, I would carry a Haiku. Being the third best light out there is pretty good, expecially when you have in the "family" the first and second.
Honeslty, though, I love the Lunasol solution so much, that thought I would buy an update Td PD, it might not become my EDC.
In fact, an updated (warmer and slightly more powerful/efficient) lunasol would be my vote!!

I think this post might be pointless. But in short...IMHO, the PD two stage solution works for my AT LEAST 95% of the time. That is better than ANY other tool I own.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Don,

FOR ME (who else would I be speaking for) the PD is a superior switching mechanism and solution, even with only two levels. I like to know, with 100% certainty, what will happen when I press that button. OK, so low isn't crazy low,and maybe high will be too high, but I can know what will happen, and have IMMEDIATE access to both levels, and that is why I sold my Haiku to fund another LS20 purchase. Now, the haiku is an AMAZING light, and if i didn't carry a LS20 or a PD-S, I would carry a Haiku. Being the third best light out there is pretty good, expecially when you have in the "family" the first and second.
Honeslty, though, I love the Lunasol solution so much, that thought I would buy an update Td PD, it might not become my EDC.
In fact, an updated (warmer and slightly more powerful/efficient) lunasol would be my vote!!

I think this post might be pointless. But in short...IMHO, the PD two stage solution works for my AT LEAST 95% of the time. That is better than ANY other tool I own.

+1

I have been in the forum for a while now, and I had my chance to play/own/use lots of lights over the years. I currently have a Ti clickie (for my Nichia 083 mule head) and a LS20. To me the PD "is" still the ideal user interface:

-I don't need nor want 3 levels, just two, low and high.
-I don't care for max. brightness - I want "practical" levels, which is why I like Don's lights.
-I don't want to know/remember what level I was at when I used the light last time.
-I always want to start with low, and then move to high. Much better interface to preserve night vision.
-I have instant access with a light press to both high and low, and it I twist the head I have long term access to both.

The PD system "is" just simply ideal, and I will always regret not getting a Ti PD-S when I had the chance. Just my 2 cents.

Will

dwolfbearer

Newly Enlightened
I'd take one! I dunno about the extra cost of titanium...my al PD was the best light I ever had (and I still can't figure out why I sold it!)

I would love a PD XP-G! And I'd be willing to pay for the titanium...since I'd probably be smart enough to keep the light this time...

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh well - thanks to some help from a CPF friend, I'm just gonna have mine modded with an XP-G...

:popcorn:

But I'd still buy one. And I'd use it.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That would be a complete no-go for me, having a McGizmo modded. That's like taking a paint brush and modding a Picasso... :sick2:

No offense though, some carry them, some hold them as shelf queens and some mod them, everybody must do as he wants to, I only want untouched ones, like Don created them! :bow:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would personally not buy a clicky McG. Nor do I care for 3 levels on a push button system. The Ti PD has to be the best light you ever made. The 2 mode piston is great. I would prefer it strongly over a 3 mode push button any day.

Not to mention the piston is amazing.

toby_pra

Flashaholic
After all this discussion is worthless without Don final opinion about making
a new wave or not...;)

So Don if you wont plan a new wave, it would be ok. After all i need
to accept it. :candle: :D

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted 'no' only because I don't see this light being a good product from a 'bottom line' standpoint. Awhile back, (and in this thread) Don mentioned that he didn't have a source for the drivers, and that sourcing a replacement would be costly. I think just trying to come up with an alternative would put the price of this light way out there.