• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Ti PD-XP-G ! Will the dream come true Don???

McGizmo

Flashaholic

This brings me to my question. I have had some time to play with the Sundrop XR-U and have not been able to settle on a light engine to keep in there. Out of curiosity, what light engine do you use most in your XR-U?

Cheers!
Joel

Hi guys,
I haven't followed this thread that closely because it is a bit of a distraction and in some regards just a sore subject. I missed Joel's question which is easy and painless to respond to. :eek:

I use a SunDrop XR-U now every night to shave by and I have the 083B LE in it. It works great on low and the concentrated flood beam is better than the PD-Mule I had been using and the CRI of the gives me a better picture of my ugly mug (the only time I really look at it)

The speculation on NDA's and non-compete is speculation and not necessarily a subject that would receive clarification. Personally, I don't and won't sign a NDA because I don't want to sign a document that would require an attorney to interpret for me or potentially defend on my behalf. Any non compete type agreement or document would fall under the same consideration.

As for intrinsically safe, I don't think the McClicky or PD would provide any spark or cause ignition of a flammable gas because the switch contact is inside of a sealed system provided the seals are performing as they should. It is my vague understanding that intrinsically safe puts some restrictions on the electrical conductivity of the exposed materials themselves and likely consideration of whether they are a carrier of electrical current.

I would guess that a plastic version of the PD for instance where you also had a boot covering the piston and isolating it from the external environment might be qualified as intrinsically safe but it's a guess. I recall some discussion with some of the guys at Pelican and I got the impression that there was a big heap of qualifications and hoops to jump through to pass some of these safety standards.

fyrstormer

Banned
This is an interesting point that I was not aware of, would you explain further?

I thought that the piston is not in contact with the metal ring in the head until you push, so the metal to metal contact under the push could still trigger fast static discharge & therefore possibly a tiny spark?

Are you saying the piston is in constant contact with the metal ring already before pushing the piston?

Or perhaps tiny sparks are enclosed inside the flashlight body & therefore not in touch with outside enviroment like a normal clicky light does, which use the flashlight body to complete the circuit?
When the head is fully-tightened on a Nitecore SmartPD, it converts to an electronic-clicky mode of operation. In that mode, the piston is contacting the brass ring on the back of the head at all times, to provide standby power to the circuitry. When you press the button, the piston moves forward and presses the brass ring against a secondary contact on the back of the head, which triggers the circuitry to turn the light on or off. Because the piston is contacting the brass ring at all times in this mode, there is no spark as the LED first receives power, because the conductive elements are already touching each other. There is probably the tiniest of tiny sparks when the brass ring touches the secondary contact to trigger the circuitry, but that uses almost no power at all, so the risk of detonating any explosive gases (assuming the seals have failed) is as minimal as it can possibly be.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ti PD-XP-G ! Will the dream come true - it did for me!!

At the risk of being overly dramatic, you just can't believe this light! I just received my Ti PD back from DatiLED - he installed an XPG R5 - perfectly, I might add, and it is incredible!! I don't know how I lucked out in the "LED lottery", but somehow managed to get a beautiful, warm tinted LED from LCK-LED.com, then datiLED patiently, carefully removed the LED from the 'board' it came on, mounted it on the original, shimmed it, centered it and and the beam is darn near perfect! It is almost like a Haiku! So you have all of Don's mastery enhanced by an 'upgrade' of the LED done by a very skilled craftsman who really did an outstanding job!! I will be taking photos to show the beam shape and the tint later, but for now here are some photos of the "new" Ti PD-XPG...

IMG_3549.JPG

Next to my 'favorite' light -although that description may change to my 'second favorite' light...

IMG_3551.JPG

And side by side business end shots....

IMG_3553.JPG

I will alternate back and forth with a C pak and the PD depending on how I am using it, but this is a keeper!! Don't think I'd sell it for any price!

I'll post some beam photos later...

GREAT JOB datiLED! :twothumbs

scout24

Flashaholic
Beautiful! Can't wait to see beamshots Dan!!! Sine it is getting dark, let us know how it does outside!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't get to the beamshots tonight, but after just taking a walk with the dogs I am simply BLOWN AWAY.
:faint:
It reminds me of the best of a Haiku, Haiku XP-G and a PD-S. It simply throws forever, has a huge spot (not quite as smooth a transition as a Haiku XP-G, but very smooth - still has a spot like a Haiku) and this emitter has the most beautiful warm tint. It is an 'instant classic' - it is my new favorite, and I PROMISE to share beamshots! I want to set it up to show off the color rendition and do some outdoor stuff. Thank goodness the weather is finally getting nice.

This thing is beautiful! More to come...