TITAN PLUS

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Sean,

So far it looks so good. I doubt the off center LED is going to affect the beam since it is so floody. Your camera looks to be on auto white balance and both shots (medium & high outputs) has got a different tint from the TiS. That said, is the beam on yours greenish or a creamy white?

Phry

Banned
Off centre LED doesn't inspire too much confidence. As others have said I wonder how long it runs on high. I also wonder how durable that coating is.

I think it looks good, other than being far too big for a 1 x AAA light.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since were starting over here: Dang that looks really nice. I held off so long on the A I may just skip it and go for a B. I love the look of the Nickel plated brass. Are the threads super smooth?

Yes, the threads are very smooth. I have no problems operating the light one handed.

I'd love to hear how strong that clip is. Captured under the tailcap, I'm sure it's not going anywhere. Is it strong enough to really grab a pocket???

The clip seems to be very sturdy and holds on to my pocket very well. It's seems to be a great option I didn't really consider until handling the light, pocket carry with the clip instead of having it on a keychain.

is it just me or does the LED in your Titan Plus look waaaay off center?

Hi Sean,

So far it looks so good. I doubt the off center LED is going to affect the beam since it is so floody. Your camera looks to be on auto white balance and both shots (medium & high outputs) has got a different tint from the TiS. That said, is the beam on yours greenish or a creamy white?

First of all yes, for those who are wondering, the LED is off center but that's irrelevant on this light because of the floody beam. Off center LEDs look much worse when a TIR is used.

Second, yes my camera was on auto white balance but I did correct for is somewhat before posting (even though I probably could have done a better job). Even to the naked eye the tint will shift some at different levels and the ThruNite TIS looks pretty purple in real life. The Surefire Titan Plus looks fairly white on its own but when put side-by-side with other lights it's slightly yellow-green to my eyes.

I also wanted to point that that when comparing the output of my Titan Plus & E1D, the overall light output (lumens) is very close according to my meter. The E1D is just slightly brighter, by the slimmest of margins. So I don't doubt that the Titan Plus can reach 300 lumens on high. It just won't look as bright because the beam is more diffused on the Titan Plus.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Sean. I have an E1DL and your description comparing it to the E1DL is useful. Of course, the E1DL is made for throw mainly whereas the Titan Plus for flood. Apple to orange comparison but it is a rough gauge for me.

wesmanthetiger

Newly Enlightened
If that's normal, I note my dollars are still going elsewhere!
That's rubbish, for only $100.
I am forced to agree. For the prices they charge and how I use my lights I feel like the thrunite has a better, more defined beam which I like, and the off-center LED (while not affecting output) speaks to larger QC issues. I would expect that from a Coast or Ultrafire light, but certainly not a high quality Surefire. I appreciate this thread as it has saved me some money. ;)

ven

Flashaholic
I think they will still sell well, tbh ..........i really like the design and think it looks pretty awesome. Liking the reflector a lot too and if my eyes are no deceiving me the great pics show a neutral tint which i like the look of.

Price is steep at $100 imo:tinfoil:, will be more for me in the UK as well!!! Probably more closer to £100 of which i wont pay that. However once the dust settles a bit and maybe a $60 option or around £40 i will probably bite!!

Thanks for the awesome pics Sean,those will sell many lights for SF alone:) got me ready for hitting a buy button :laughing: .........Just not quite yet!

nbp

Flashaholic
That is weird. I didn't see anything too inflammatory in it. I don't see why it couldn't stay. :shrug:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is weird. I didn't see anything too inflammatory in it. I don't see why it couldn't stay. :shrug:
Thank you. It was not to enflame, just call it as it is.

Edited comment, as to not be rude to others that reside here.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
There is a long history of posts being made in Surefire threads just to disparage Surefire and to ultimately ruin a thread. It is, in effect, trolling to flame, and to some it may be considered baiting. Please review CPF rule 4. The post was removed, based on my assumption, that is is a flaming post. Please contact me via PM if you have issues with my action. Do not post concerns in an open thread. Carry on discussion re the merits, or demerits of the Titan Plus. :)

Bill

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are American sellers selling it for $85. I got mine in the mail today. Nice light. My led seems fairly well centered. Only thing I see that is kinda goofy is that there is a white Oring that seals the front lens. It seems to be pinched. Perhaps from over torquing. I will try an take some pics here soon and post them. It is also slightly longer than the other Titan AAA.

Dirty & Quick impressions: Super solid feel, slightly on the heavy side, sturdy pocket clip, neat plastic key ring retention system, flashlight color looks awesome in person, led has more floody beam, beam has some rings if you wall hunt, tint looks neutral, twisty action is butter smooth, kinda worried about lens Oring.

EDIT: I just noticed SEAN's Oring looks pinched too.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are American sellers selling it for $85. I got mine in the mail today. Nice light. My led seems fairly well centered. Only thing I see that is kinda goofy is that there is a white Oring that seals the front lens. It seems to be pinched. Perhaps from over torquing. I will try an take some pics here soon and post them. It is also slightly longer than the other Titan AAA.

Dirty & Quick impressions: Super solid feel, slightly on the heavy side, sturdy pocket clip, neat plastic key ring retention system, flashlight color looks awesome in person, led has more floody beam, beam has some rings if you wall hunt, tint looks neutral, twisty action is butter smooth, kinda worried about lens Oring.

EDIT: I just noticed SEAN's Oring looks pinched too.

Do you notice any flickering, especially in medium mode?

kssmith

Enlightened
Are they 1.5v? How's that in comparison to the enloope that's shipped with the light?

Yes I am using 1.5 volt batteries. I haven't noticed a major difference yet, but I did notice with the provided battery; once it died, it died. I haven't run a primary dead yet.
I noticed as well the when cycling modes, the medium mode will often cycle twice before moving to high. Not sure if others have had this happen?

The o-ring on mine seems to be properly fitted and even. The led is very close to being centered. It might be off by a hair.

Shooter21

Enlightened
My Titan Plus took its first drop today onto cement at work since the clip doesn't hold very securely to my pocket.