TITAN PLUS

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy that this thread has assumed a productive tone again. I hope that you all don't mind if I jump back in... :eek: I apologize for bowing out earlier.

Mine has been my EDC for 3 days now, and I like it more each day - I will be ordering another - maybe from BatteryJunction this time since Scout24 had some luck there. My first came from LAPG's first batch.

monanza addressed the mode switching - i have the same issue, but have 'learned' to time the Med/High switching to almost hit it 100% of the time. Here's a short video showing the timing - it's just a VERY slight delay between switching from medium to high that works best. Yes, it can be annoying, but this certainly isn't the only light I have that requires 'touch' when switching modes...in the video you can also see a slight flicker on low. I am blessed that I don't see PWM and I can't really see this with my eyes, but it's evident enough in the video.

Output at turn on is consistent - my sphere measures 10/60/261. High drops ever so slightly with an extended run, but we're talking single digit lumen drops - nothing that I can see.

My tint is neutral. NO greenish tint. (I wish Surefire would do the same with their other lights. My P2X Fury has a distinct greenish tint.) The beam pattern is very useful for me.

I do hope that they work out the pinched o-ring situation. Meanwhile, this light is still very useful. Pretty much stopped using my Titan A(s), although I do have one on my key ring.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks is for the update with your light.

Output at turn on is consistent - my sphere measures 10/60/261. High drops ever so slightly with an extended run, but we're talking single digit lumen drops - nothing that I can see.

This is somewhat disappointing...I use the term lightly because on high, 261 real lumens from a AAA battery powered keychain light IS awesome. However, I remember when "Surefire lumens" were called just that because the output you received versus the output you were expecting were always different; the output was generally much higher. That earned SF a ton of respect. In fact, the G2X LE I just received that is rated at 400 lumens is visually the same as my 500 listed lumen Fury. The beamshots I posted in the 6PX/G2X thread are there for all to see.

Given the real posts in this thread though, I so far see nothing that convinces me to buy and use this light over my (what seems to me to be) perfect Titan A. The 75 lumen medium verses the 125 lumen high are negligible in my mind (while the SF listed time difference is "double," in reality, with a keychain light, how much does that really come into play - especially given that the Titan is probably not the only light most of us carry anyway?!).

I do appreciate the time and effort you've taken to keep us updated!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan- did you sphere your Titan A?

Yes - it was almost dead on 123 lumen on high.

Thanks is for the update with your light.

This is somewhat disappointing...I use the term lightly because on high, 261 real lumens from a AAA battery powered keychain light IS awesome. However, I remember when "Surefire lumens" were called just that because the output you received versus the output you were expecting were always different; the output was generally much higher. That earned SF a ton of respect. In fact, the G2X LE I just received that is rated at 400 lumens is visually the same as my 500 listed lumen Fury. The beamshots I posted in the 6PX/G2X thread are there for all to see.

Given the real posts in this thread though, I so far see nothing that convinces me to buy and use this light over my (what seems to me to be) perfect Titan A. The 75 lumen medium verses the 125 lumen high are negligible in my mind (while the SF listed time difference is "double," in reality, with a keychain light, how much does that really come into play - especially given that the Titan is probably not the only light most of us carry anyway?!).

I do appreciate the time and effort you've taken to keep us updated!

Totally understand and your point is well made. And please know that I've always maintained that my sphere is HOMEMADE and I can't vouch for its ongoing accuracy (or lack thereof). That said, it has proven to be reasonably accurate when compared to lights with known/proven ratings. As mentioned above, it read 123 on a couple of my Titan As.

And as you certainly already know, the human eye probably can't discern the difference in, say, 250 lumen versus 300. But it can (and I can) definitely see the difference in 125 and 260. And the 75 lumen output (60 in my sphere) is very useful to me - I find myself doing my dog walks on medium with the Plus, but always on high with the A.

And the size of the Plus is just enough bigger so that it better fits my large hands.

Final disclaimers

-It ain't perfect
-I'm not a fan boy
-There are other quality AAA lights out there
-This one has Surefire's warranty (as of course, does the Titan A.)

lovecpf

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Totally understand and your point is well made. And please know that I've always maintained that my sphere is HOMEMADE and I can't vouch for its ongoing accuracy (or lack thereof). That said, it has proven to be reasonably accurate when compared to lights with known/proven ratings. As mentioned above, it read 123 on a couple of my Titan As.

Homemade or not, I miss the fact that more lights aren't checked in sphere's anymore; I used to go to Big C's thread all the time or read GMan's posts about testing lights. I sent GMan So, you data is very much appreciated.

And the size of the Plus is just enough bigger so that it better fits my large hands

I think this is probably the most important point. The size of the light allows it to become more of a handheld light and less of a light attached to a keychain for those with larger hands. My Titan A very easily works as a one handed operation, but like you, I have larger hands, and as such, have relegated my light to my keychain.

Anyway, thanks again for your info...and please don't ever throw your homemade sphere away. :)

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sure did. It's a beauty, and while it's longer than the Beta QR without the quick release, it's quite a bit shorter with both on. I'll have to see what I can scare up locally, or from nearby stores.

Note: I use my Beta QR as a neck carry light due to its size. This would be a bit better in that respect, especially with a higher max output and a useful medium level.

Last edited:

photonmaster

Banned
Pinched o-rings. Poor quality control.

123 lumens? 260 lumens?

The world's finest illumination tools, eh?

I have several "cheap" lights like Fenix and Klarus. They have nice centred emitters and nice, properly seated o-rings :D

scout24

Flashaholic
Thank you for summarizing the last five pages of observations from everyone, including those who don't and will never own one. I, for one, appreciate your insight. :)

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. This is getting old. Like groundhog day. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. Enough already from the peanut gallery. Come on now.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those of you who have both the Titan-A and the Titan Plus, does the Titan Plus seem to have better tint (more neutral and non-green)? I'm very happy to hear these early reports of the Plus having nice, almost neutral tinted emitters without green. Are the Titan-A models the same? Or would you say that SF is being more selective with the LED in the Plus?

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Titan A tint was good to start with, my Titan Plus even better. The tint is not hicri, but it also has no hint of green. Both beams are pleasant, so I can't say they are being more selective on the Plus, but there is no hint of nausea green...

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Titan A compared to the Plus is a little rosier. Side by side the Plus 'appears' to lean a little towards a green hue but on its own it is just neutral. Honestly, side by side comparisons always throw me off. I did not notice any green-ish-ness or rosiness till I put them side by side. Both are comfortable in actual use. This is one sample though.

OT: I wonder with all our tint snobbery (I mean that in a good way) if Surefire selects their bins based on test subjects. Does the test environment impact tint preference? Anyone know or care to guess? I guess there are too many parameters involved but I am curious. Maybe this is better discussed in a separate thread.

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
I'm a huge SF fanboy. I'm not offended in the least by some SF hate. If every little thing bugged me there would be a vigilante in Tigard Or lol. I.lobe my titan A.... and it has issues. Can't wait for the B. ...

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
I'm a huge SF fanboy. I'm not offended in the least by some SF hate. If every little thing bugged me there would be a vigilante in Tigard Or lol. I.lobe my titan A.... and it has issues. Can't wait for the B. ...

I totally agree., not offended at all. In fact it's flattering to have haters. The best way to deal with trolls and haters is just to completely ignore them. Even one response feeds their need for attention.

If a company has haters, it's probably because it's has pretty darn good stuff and more expensive than normal. Apple for instance is another example.

Personally I think Surefire's pricing is right on the money. It's not cheap to offer a no hassle lifetime warranty and MADE IN THE USA. I just recently tried to get a replacement O-Ring from Thrunite for the TN32 and for 2 weeks played e-mail ping pong and finally I just gave up. Went to Home Depot and bought an o-ring that works with it.

Any issues I've had with Surefire's lights just required one call or email and bam.... Resolved. That costs money to offer and maintain.

I have no doubt that if my Titan-B ever breaks they will fix or replace it (aside from normal wear and tear or a use of course).

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Pinched o-rings. Poor quality control.

123 lumens? 260 lumens?

The world's finest illumination tools, eh?

I have several "cheap" lights like Fenix and Klarus. They have nice centred emitters and nice, properly seated o-rings :D

Photonmaster take 7 days off, this time, for continued trolling.

Bill

*Edit added by Greta: Overriding Bill... ban is permanent. Tired of playing these silly games. Toodles!
:banned: Everyone else... carry on - in a civil manner, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
After a couple days with this thing now I'm finding the 75 lumen Mid level very useful. The Titan is very similar in output and beam pattern to the 2211X. No flickering so far. Mode switching is unreliable like others have reported with repeating modes (L-M-M-H problem). I tried my Eneloop 4th gen and it seems brighter for some reason. Might be just perception. I might stick with the Eneloop 4th gen to get the 2100 cycle benefit since I'm getting about 860 mAh from them vs 930 mAh with the Eneloop Pro. 70 mAh difference with 2100 vs 500 cycle difference.

All batteries fit so far (Lithium, Eneloop, Eneloop pro, Duracell and Energizer).

Threads had LOTS of lube so I cleaned it all off and sparingly applied Nyogel. Tint is neutral which I like for better color rendition.

So far the only issue I have is the mode switching which gets frustrating when I want to go to High quickly and I can't. I think its a timing thing and eventually I'll get it down to near 100% accuracy.

Last edited:

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a couple days with this thing now I'm finding the 75 lumen Mid level very useful. The Titan is very similar in output and beam pattern to the 2211X. No flickering so far. Mode switching is unreliable like others have reported with repeating modes (L-M-M-H problem). I tried my Eneloop 4th gen and it seems brighter for some reason. Might be just perception. I might stick with the Eneloop 4th gen to get the 2100 cycle benefit since I'm getting about 860 mAh from them vs 930 mAh with the Eneloop Pro. 70 mAh difference with 2100 vs 500 cycle difference.

All batteries fit so far (Lithium, Eneloop, Eneloop pro, Duracell and Energizer).

Threads had LOTS of lube so I cleaned it all off and sparingly applied Nyogel. Tint is neutral which I like for better color rendition.

So far the only issue I have if the mode switching which gets frustrating when I want to go to High quickly and I can't. I think its a timing thing and eventually I'll get it down to near 100% accuracy.

Most unfortunate for you. Does it flicker much? Perhaps you should send it back for a replacement. I did with my Titan-A through local dealer and the replacement is working fine so far.

Also I notice that the LED on the Titan-B is similar to my Titan-A and Mini Maglite Pro(272 lumens) which I believe is a Cree XPG2.

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
Most unfortunate for you. Does it flicker much? Perhaps you should send it back for a replacement. I did with my Titan-A through local dealer and the replacement is working fine so far.

Also I notice that the LED on the Titan-B is similar to my Titan-A and Mini Maglite Pro(272 lumens) which I believe is a Cree XPG2.

No flickering at all. The only issue is the stuttering mode switching. I think it's the timing that's programmed. It's very precise and has a tight tolerance to get it right. Because if I concentrate I can get it to switch correctly every time. So the time between head twist is very narrow to make it change modes if that makes sense.

So far I like it and will EDC it. The other ones I bought will be gifts to friends for Christmas (maybe keep one as a spare since I tend to lose things that are small).

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
No flickering at all. The only issue is the stuttering mode switching. I think it's the timing that's programmed. It's very precise and has a tight tolerance to get it right. Because if I concentrate I can get it to switch correctly every time. So the time between head twist is very narrow to make it change modes if that makes sense.

So far I like it and will EDC it. The other ones I bought will be gifts to friends for Christmas (maybe keep one as a spare since I tend to lose things that are small).
Assuming you are on medium output for awhile and then you switch to high, does it go straight to high or medium again then high?