TITAN PLUS

DimmerD

Enlightened
Okay I played around a lot with it last night and I can switch from low to medium as fast as you can twist it every time. But you can't go to high that quickly, that's where you have to give a slight pause before switching to high. I think that's why people are reporting they get the L-M-M-H when switching quickly, the extra M accounts for the pause that's needed before switching to high. Anyone else care to try theirs out, could just be mine doing this?
In my opinion this kind of makes sense, the light is mostly used on low and medium so those modes can be accessed quickly, but high needs that little extra pause. I guess maybe they did that so you don't accidentally access high?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay I played around a lot with it last night and I can switch from low to medium as fast as you can twist it every time. But you can't go to high that quickly, that's where you have to give a slight pause before switching to high. I think that's why people are reporting they get the L-M-M-H when switching quickly, the extra M accounts for the pause that's needed before switching to high. Anyone else care to try theirs out, could just be mine doing this?
In my opinion this kind of makes sense, the light is mostly used on low and medium so those modes can be accessed quickly, but high needs that little extra pause. I guess maybe they did that so you don't accidentally access high?

Yes, this is exactly how mine operates as well.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Same here (s/n A02789), a slight pause gets you high while if you twist quickly you get another medium.

If this is really a design feature it could well be written in the instructions which on the contrary say 'within one second' for both switching operations.

Flashlike

Enlightened
:sigh:

Here we go again. Fascinating at the range of comments - some from owners - some from those who may have never actually used the light. Although it isn't written anywhere and I have nothing to support my belief (other than many samples/comments), I think Robin24K may have called it correctly...the UI MAY be intentional. Every user claims that they have to either twist, twist/twist to get from low to medium to high, and others (me included) 'learn' the timing. I can - 100% of the time - make mine go from medium to high with the slight delayed timing of the twist.

And good grief, does it really matter that much? Perhaps it does to some - everyone is different. No big deal to me - I use mine on medium most of the time anyway.

The battery fitment issues on the Titan A were real and they were addressed. The 'issues' with the Titan Plus are out there multiple times. God Bless America - if you don't want to buy it, don't. If you do buy one, you'll probably enjoy it. If you have problems with it, send it back to Surefire. Oy.

run4jc -- I think you hit the nail on the head with your comments. :) I own quite a few flashlights and have observed that every one of them is unique. Even flashlights that are the same exact make and model can have differences in their beam profile, tint, and switching operation. Now that I've adapted to the way my Titan Plus works (as far as the mode changing) I absolutely love it and certainly don't consider it to be "defective". The workmanship on mine is nothing less than spectacular!

MicroE

Enlightened
I'm disappointed. My Titan Plus arrived yesterday and it is more like a 300-lumen flashbulb. The runtime graphs posted here bear this out by showing that the Titan Plus only holds 300 lumens for a minute or two.
My original Titan T1A runs for 20 or 30 minutes on high.
I have purchased dozens of SF lights, but I stopped buying them a couple of years ago because the Chinese LED lights were so much less expensive and their quality was improving rapidly. That, and SF was slow to join the LED party.
The fit and finish of the Titan Plus are superb, but it's the same for Fenix and Nitecore and Olight and Jetbeam.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I'm disappointed. My Titan Plus arrived yesterday and it is more like a 300-lumen flashbulb. The runtime graphs posted here bear this out by showing that the Titan Plus only holds 300 lumens for a minute or two.

When it drops out of burst mode, try turning it off then back on, and see if the 300 level, or close to it, works. Originally the Ra and HDS clickies would drop out of high in 10 seconds, but turned off and on back on, went back to highest mode.

Bill

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
My original Titan T1A runs for 20 or 30 minutes on high.
I have purchased dozens of SF lights, but I stopped buying them a couple of years ago because the Chinese LED lights were so much less expensive and their quality was improving rapidly. That, and SF was slow to join the LED party.
The fit and finish of the Titan Plus are superb, but it's the same for Fenix and Nitecore and Olight and Jetbeam.

I think some of it has to do with owning a SF brand. Like Nike and Kmart brand Joe Boxer... some people would rather sport that swoosh. Same with the SF name I suppose. Although, I do love and EDC the Nitecore MH12 and EC11, when I'm on duty and my life depends on my equipment I find that I always have the SF Peacekeeper on my belt and SF EB2 as backup in my pocket. There has got to be a reason our military has SF lights on the end of the muzzle and not a Thrunite. My Nitecore SRT7 has started to flicker and become unreliable after about a year's worth of use so I gave it away. My Thrunite TN32 sometimes fails to work and I have to bang the light on something and sometime that fixes it.

I still have a 1990 SF 6P original that still works. I have a drawer full of Nitecore, Thrunite, Eagletac lights that has become unreliable and faulty (can I send them back for repair? I haven't looked into it). I did have a Titan Plus recently that was flickering so I sent it back with RMA. The SF warranty is second to none, I'm sure I'll get it back repaired or new.

I have several other AAA lights from Maglite to the original ARC AAA and I do have to say that the SF Titan Plus/Titan is above and beyond any of them as far as build quality. I'm sure there is a steep mark-up due to the SF brand but that's how it goes I think. A Juicy Couture purse is just another purse but costs 3 times more because of the name.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh boy. Here we go again.

Pretty much what I said.. I think thats sufficient. Same page, different book.

I will add though this page is absolutely detached from any sort of sanity.

Rationalization is a heck of a drug.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Detached from any sort of sanity..."?

Really? You went there? All of our comments - those of us who actually own and use (and have used for several months) the Titan Plus have made insane comments on this page?

Geez. It's a freaking flashlight. Mine works - really well, I might add. It has issues that I am willing to deal with. That ain't rationalization, brother - that's just common sense.

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks to your insane comments Dan, I now have a light I really like. What's wrong with you man?! Lol. :p

scout24

Flashaholic
I must have caught the insanity from one of you guys. Hey, wait! It was included in the regular Titan AAA package, to get you to buy the Plus! And the new key fob light... :p (Pre-ordered on Amazon...)

EDIT- What's funny, to me, is pretty much any light has a learning curve. My Haiku and Mule have different timing required to switch levels. Sometimes dependent on cell installed or level of charge. Never gave it a second thought, never called Don about it, just learned it and drove on. If I need stone simple or tactically perfect, I'll opt for an L1, factory SF P60, single mode Malkoff dropin, etc. Otherwise, for me, some of the quirks are almost like them having their own personality. Thankfully, there are plenty of different choices out there for us all to enjoy. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I stick with single modes- even if the timing is perfect, the only dual UI that works for me is head tight/loose for low/hi (or semi permanently programming it into medium). Will monitor, but not holding my breath for a single mode version of any of these sf aaa's.
lol you Have to keep up with those edit times, entirely deleting posts, retroactively quoting subsequent posts hours later. Your honor, my client pleads not guilty... By reason of insanity.

nbp

Flashaholic
Sure, single modes are OK if I am going to be using the light for just one specific task. But for an EDC light where I might find it used in a few different situations, multiple modes are nice. I highly doubt you'll see a single mode Titan. For a tough brass light with one mode, Peak is probably a good option.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see Dan and Nick are fans of this light. I'm on the fence, someone push me off. Is this a really good edc option? Can I still get 15 and 75 lumens with an alkaline in a pinch? How long generally do you really get 300 lumens with the eneloop? Are the stated lumens conservative like most other Surefire lights?