• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Titanium Aeon Mk. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eala: I'll post some beamshots in the next couple of days. By analog driver I mean one that doesn't require multiple on-off cycles in order to switch modes - you're not using a microcontroller to read highs and lows to determine what your output is. If you've owned an Aeon, Nautilus, or Mako, it's the same sort of interface, just with a third level. None of my lights ever leave you in the dark, either, they just fall out of regulation and become dimmer once the battery falls below a certain threshold.

Today is the last day for the reservations here on the CPF. Tomorrow I will be adding the light to the website.

Thanks for your support guys, I look forward to getting these lights in your hands soon. :)

Enrique

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UI sounds great. The driver sounds great.

I was really hoping to see the beam profile before plonking down the deposit. This is a lot of money for me. I am reasonably confident that the profile will be good. My Mako is supremely awesome and I am convinced that your products are top notch, and I know I can sell it if it does not suit, but I am trying to manage cashflow.

One other question... I know how the switching mechanism works for the 2 stage Mako, but I am having a hard time imagining how you are doing it for the three stage. Will it be as robust as your other lights?

Thanks Enrique,
eala

Eala: I'll post some beamshots in the next couple of days. By analog driver I mean one that doesn't require multiple on-off cycles in order to switch modes - you're not using a microcontroller to read highs and lows to determine what your output is. If you've owned an Aeon, Nautilus, or Mako, it's the same sort of interface, just with a third level. None of my lights ever leave you in the dark, either, they just fall out of regulation and become dimmer once the battery falls below a certain threshold.

Today is the last day for the reservations here on the CPF. Tomorrow I will be adding the light to the website.

Thanks for your support guys, I look forward to getting these lights in your hands soon. :)

Enrique

fyrstormer

Banned
eala, if you look at the circuit board on the Mako, you can see two electrically-conductive rings under the contact spring. The spring is soldered to the outer ring; when the battery first touches the spring, the Low mode turns on. When the spring is compressed, it presses against the circuit board in an "outwards-in" spiral pattern until it touches the inner ring on the circuit board, then the High mode turns on. Given the clever way this switching mechanism works, I imagine adding a third mode is no more complex than adding a third ring between the existing two.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally see what you mean for the two stage and I think I understand what you are saying for the third stage, but the third stage mechanism (if it is a smaller inner ring contact) does not 'seem' as robust. You would be relying on the spring compression (which may be ok). We are just theorizing. Enrique could confirm.

I will ponder some more.

eala

fyrstormer

Banned
I totally see what you mean for the two stage and I think I understand what you are saying for the third stage, but the third stage mechanism (if it is a smaller inner ring contact) does not 'seem' as robust. You would be relying on the spring compression (which may be ok). We are just theorizing. Enrique could confirm.

I will ponder some more.

eala
The two-stage mechanism already relies on spring compression to switch between Low and High. With a three-stage design, the middle stage would be activated when the spring is partly-compressed far enough to touch the middle ring, but not the inner ring. The only tricky part with creating a third stage is making sure the rings are an appropriate thickness, to ensure the rotational distance between Low>Medium is the same as the rotational distance between Medium>High. However, even that "tricky part" can be easily figured out using mathematics, because the compression behavior of a cone-shaped spring is very predictable -- the widest coils will always finish compressing first, and the smallest coils will always finish compressing last. Only a a couple prototype boards with slightly different ring-spacing would be necessary to test the usability of the design in real life. Given the attention to detail in Enrique's lights, I'm quite sure he's capable of pulling this off.

Last edited:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
eala: The new driver I designed is robust, just as the previous designs were, and I don't think you have anything to worry about. (If I did think there was something to worry about, I would not be making a new light, after all!)

Drop me a line at [email protected] if you have other questions or concerns and you can get an answer from me directly.

Thanks,

Enrique

tsl

Enlightened
Hello Everyone,

Just a quick update - next Friday I will be sending off the request for the parts to be machined; at that point I will list how many were made in this batch, I'll put the light on the website, and the cost will rise to $425 plus shipping for general purchases there.

I hope to have a couple of beamshots early next week for you all as well. :)

Thanks folks!

Enrique

Enrique, will we still be able to order the Aeon through this thread at $395 plus shipping once beamshots have been posted?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Enrique, will we still be able to order the Aeon through this thread at $395 plus shipping once beamshots have been posted?

Enrique

See post 47 this thread.

Bill

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enrique - I know that I'm just outside of the cut off, but Paypal just sent to reserve one (1) Aeon Mk. II. Scout24's purchase pushed me over the edge! I hope that you'll accept my order just BARELY late...:)
Unique Transaction ID # 5P772597S0427620F

tsl

Enlightened
Hello Everyone,

Just a quick update - next Friday I will be sending off the request for the parts to be machined; at that point I will list how many were made in this batch, I'll put the light on the website, and the cost will rise to $425 plus shipping for general purchases there.

I hope to have a couple of beamshots early next week for you all as well. :)

Thanks folks!

Enrique

See post 47 this thread.

Bill

I understand that, but Enrique had also hoped to have beamshots available before the cutoff, hence my question. I also wasn't sure from Enrique's response whether it meant that the $395 price was finished as of Friday.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't realize Friday was the cutoff. Was traveling to drop daughter off at university. :(

Wont be home till tomorrow night.
Oh well. Guess it wasn't meant to be.

ffemt6263

Enlightened
Hey Launch, dont think it was the cutoff for getting one, i think now enrique will also open it up to his website. I believe you still have time although probably not long until these beauties are all spoken for. Shoot me a pm when you get back from your ventures sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.