Titanium Aleph & E Series compatible heads/tubes/tails**Announcing TnC Ti EDC-Flex**

donn_

Flashaholic
Re: **TnC EDC-Flex Series Interest/Announcement Thread**E Series Compatible Lights/Pa

Thanks, Dennis.

TnC38mm.jpg

I must admit, I'm a little disappointed in the design as a first reaction. I envisioned something more along the lines of either an Aleph 3 or C-Mag styling. Something more shapely, like an enlarged TnC 27mm head.

I guess I could get used to it, though.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: **TnC EDC-Flex Series Interest/Announcement Thread**E Series Compatible Lights/Pa

Donn, the proto is not the shape of this EDC-Flex run head. Sorry for the confusion!

Those were made some time ago and are not related (AFAIK) to this current offerring.

I think your idea is more correct, something sharing the family lines of the other TnC heads.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

The tubes/tails may be available separately, but not the heads. The canisters as well may be available separately. I also added the possible option of Titanium. Sorry for any confusion.

However since I did not make this clear for you in my post, I'll make an exception for you. But can you try to come up with your own 38mm reflector in WTB? That would work better for me. I have less than 20x 38mm reflectors. I hope you understand. Thanks
Thanks for the consideration. A head without reflector would be of no use for me so , I guess I'll stand by for pricing and decide to take a whole light...:devil:
Flupic
38mm head in black HA
K2 TTFC Led
18650 body

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Donn,

I agree with you completely. Without considering design objectives that NAT proto 38mm head can look a bit out of place on some E Series tubes. However when you think of the advantage for heat sinking when driving multi LEDs hard...

As stated in the first post we are going to model the head design closely to either the SF-Series 27mm heads or the HLV/Superflashlight heads. If there is a preference between these two now would be a good time to speak up.

It looks like there is a definite leaning towards the 38mm Ti at this time. The considerations for a minimum size run in Ti are not as significant as a minimum for an anodized aluminum run, since there isn't masking or other issues. However the design work and tooling, as well as other factors are there. We'll see how much interest remains after we get a price quoted. If it stands there is only enough interest for Ti and not aluminum we'll still proceed, but I must admit I don't feel the custom market should turn its back on aluminum, especially in the case of a head of this size.

We do have some designs for integrated heat sinks in multi LED lights. In fact we have some pretty intricate designs we have not built using multi drivers as well. However it makes little sense to me to have an integrated heat sink built out of Ti. Perhaps Dennis or someone else can come up with a standard, such as a threaded heat sink with suggestions for a recess to mount drivers, LEDs, and reflectors? I think with an aluminum head we could be more creative. Perhaps that's another phase?

Yes, we'd prefer to sell some complete lights, however TnC has been focused on the modders with the SF-Series and other parts we have made. We were trying to address a different market with complete lights but have no plans to exclude those who are creative in how they put their own personal lights together. Hopefully folks will like the tubes and tails we build, as well as our new canisters enough to want to use these in sufficient quantities for us to build them. We build parts in tiny custom lots as it is, often in batches of 25 or so parts at a time. The economies of scale are very tough working in that range and we wouldn't be doing it if this weren't a hobby for us. Please also understand the less interest the higher the price we have to pass on.

Any input on the integration of the tails and tubes? I think this is especially advantageous with 18650, 18500, and AA tubes due to the variances we've encountered. I'll try to have something to show in terms of the tubes and tails by the end of the week as well as pricing and get this into the queue as soon as possible.

Cuso,

Thanks for understanding! I'll try to make this work for you.

BigBoy

Enlightened

Love the look of the superflashlights !!!!!

Like the idea of complete sets rather than piece by piece purchase.

Integrated head / tail is fine.

Lower cost would be well received.

Interested in 20 or 27 mm head - these are the most widely accepted.

Prefer Cree.

Would build own driver.

The TNC canister is easy to build - but if you could make them bigger to support more boards that would be good.

18650 seems to be a widely accepted standard for rechargable lithium's.

I would try to minimize options.

Aluminum is fine with me - but it seems that titanium has the momentum right now for this class of lights.

I am definitely interested ... and would like to see TNC hit a home run on this series. Your machining is superb, and your canister is easy to build. I would like to see more CPF'ers have the satisfaction of doing a flashlight build.

Last edited:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Eric, I'd be interested in alum 38 mm heads sans reflector as well. I do hope you can provide the lenses though.

I'd like to see TnC take the multi-LED all the way to a kit form, or even complete lights.

The Ti head should still have an alum sink. I envision a sink that has an integral LE can built into the rear, with a shoulder for the board to sit on. The sink and LE could be entirely bench-built, then threaded into the head from the bezel end. The board would install from the rear, with a cavity for clearance and a ground screw. A through hole would allow wire passage.

If the multi-emitter involves 4 - 5 LEDs, there will be parallel demand for a tube or tube/extension that can take at least (3) R123 cells. In alum, this is less of a problem since the head could be used on other E compatible tubes. But in Ti, a matching tube for the cell solution would be desired.

I think the one piece tube is fine, and am looking forward to seeing the collar/clip design.

dmdrewitt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Eric, I'd be interested in alum 38 mm heads sans reflector as well. I do hope you can provide the lenses though.

I think the one piece tube is fine, and am looking forward to seeing the collar/clip design.

I agree with LZep that I would like the 38mm Ti head to ship with an o-ring and window. (preferably Sapphire). All 38mm parts seem hard to find now :mecry:

I would like to see more on the design of integrated tail cap before committing one way or the other.

David :thumbsup:

easilyled

Flashaholic

I would be very interested in a Titanium 38mm head
( especially if Led Zeppelin would provide a multi-led mod for me :) )

Would also probably buy Ti integrated body and tailcap (compatible with 18650)
but would like to see some pictures first.

I'm also interested to know if TNC is considering designing any heads/canisters
that can utilize the spectacular SSC P7 led. :devil:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd prefer DIY kits / standalone parts over completed assemblies.
-Both 123 and 18560 bodies sound good.
-I'd really prefer the 20mm heads and possibly 27mm head, mainly because I never did get any of the A2 aleph heads (those are the small ones right? lol)
-Led choices - Cree and Seoul
-Driver - DIY most likely.
- Finishes - Black HA, and whichever (natty or olive) will match surefires the best.

I like the overall ideal of the tube and tail being one piece. Certainly will add that little something different to differentiate itself from the Alephs.

JohnTz

Enlightened

Eric judging from this early feedback the 38mm Ti head and the 18650 tube in Ti are gauranteed hits for you. Also sounds like you can take that combo as far as you want for a multi-led light as the modders will take it the rest of the way or you can build the complete lights. The idea of actually building some standard head assembly for a multi-led 38mm head is very exciting and would be a long lived product as it can become the standard head for multi-led modders for now and into the future. This would create demand for Al as well. A multi led heatsink of copper would add a nice touch for the high end crowd. I am told there is no thermal advantage for copper over Al but it looks nice and has that nice added weight.

At the minimum, a 38mm head with some kind of integrated tri-led heatsink and a lens would be a killer kit that would sell strong in both Ti and Al. The integrated tail/tube makes (in my opinion) a better looking and stronger light. Using the McClicky integrated into the tail would be nice although I am not sure of the power levels these clickys can handle.

I think you came up with an exciting product set and we are all looking forward to your designs. I do agree with Donn that the proto is not the best looking but judging by what you guys have built in the past I am confident that the production design will be fantastic.

easilyled

Flashaholic

I just saw the proto 38mm head from pictures earlier.

I'm sure this will look nice in Ti however I think the base of the head
is a bit squarish so I'm presuming the body would have a neck
that tapers out to meet the base of the head?

Its hard to visualise without pictures of the head connected to the body.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Daniel, sorry for the confusion I created when I mentioned the proto head. I call it that by name, not as a prototype of the EDC-Flex 38mm head, the shape of which is open for discussion.

I am leaning towards a Superflashlight-style design. Another option Eric mentioned is something similar to the TnC SF series 27 mm head.

easilyled

Flashaholic

Daniel, sorry for the confusion I created when I mentioned the proto head. I call it that by name, not as a prototype of the EDC-Flex 38mm head, the shape of which is open for discussion.

I am leaning towards a Superflashlight-style design. Another option Eric mentioned is something similar to the TnC SF series 27 mm head.

Thanks for the clarification Dennis :)

Yes, a bigger Superflashlight-style head in Titanium would look very nice
in my opinion.

donn_

Flashaholic

I'd go for a 38mm Superflashlight/Hyperlux etc model. A nice set of fins at the rear and a band of TnC's signature knurling near the front end.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm running out the door so I can't go into much detail, but I thought I'd leave you with a few drawings of the new EDC-Flex Ti 38mm head. I should have clarified there is no knurling on these heads, as Ti can be problematic for knurling. This may be a feature included in the aluminum heads if that's what folks want. I think Chris came up with some sharp looking heads here. Also if we avoid milling or extra machine steps we can help keep the price down, but still the cost of materials is the main factor in Ti. I should have a price for these to post tonight. It's hard for me to know what to charge with the material costs so high already.

If we can find lenses quickly we might have just the heads available quickly. We've decided to go ahead and offer heads separately for those who don't want a complete light/kit, but there might be an extra delay with the heads due to sourcing the lenses. Is there a consensus whether the lenses should be saphire or UCL?

We've been considering some heat sink designs and I'll try to post some of these ideas tonight, but please keep your input coming. We are leaning towards an aluminum heat sink for various reasons: cost, corrosion, and weight mostly.

Some thoughts on battery tubes. We're moving ahead with the 18650 designs, but is there any interest in Ti C-Flex standard or custom milled tubes? I think that might be nice and a first for runtime in a complete Ti light.

38mmhead4de8.jpg

38mmhead3tr7.jpg

38mmhead1ik2.jpg

Last edited:

JohnTz

Enlightened

Now that is way better looking than the proto head. Nice!

I would vote for saphire for the lens as this is positioned as a high end unit.

donn_

Flashaholic

Love the head design!

I'd vote sapphire on a Ti light.

I'd love to see Ti C-Flex bodies. If the knurling problem applies to bodies as well, how about milled grooves in the high areas, for gription?

Here's an idea of a larger head on C-Flex tubes:

007-9.jpg

005-16.jpg

Personally, I'd rather see the C-Flex built for A123 cells, but I can live with AW C size. I run a single A123 and a spacer in that 2-cell tube.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

The head design looks great Eric!

Sapphire lens would be ideal, though I wouldn't have a problem with a UCL.

Depending on the configuration of the multi-LED sink, I'd like to see an appropriate tube capable of powering it, whatever that may be.