Tri-V2 Information

MullinsG

Newly Enlightened
I would like to be included on the list as well - very interested in purchasing the V2. Thanks Dave.

wyldthng

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dave
I thought I had put an "add me to the list of wanting one" post here somewhere, but it may have been lost..... Oh well, add me to the list! I gotta have one of these!

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Data, seeing as the argument for going with the XPG on the flood is to permit better beam mixing...are you also open to the idea of putting the same tint bin emitter into both slots, so that essentially the two beams are identical in tint?

I think I could be seriously motivated by a dual XPG S2, or dual XPG R4 set up. The warm and cooler emitter pair does not appeal to me in the sense that the beams will still not mix on the level of tint/spectrum.

This is just one man's humble opinion. Please feel free to set me straight on this issue.

obi

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Data, seeing as the argument for going with the XPG on the flood is to permit better beam mixing...are you also open to the idea of putting the same tint bin emitter into both slots, so that essentially the two beams are identical in tint?

I think I could be seriously motivated by a dual XPG S2, or dual XPG R4 set up. The warm and cooler emitter pair does not appeal to me in the sense that the beams will still not mix on the level of tint/spectrum.

This is just one man's humble opinion. Please feel free to set me straight on this issue.

obi

I would never pretend to set anyone straight. Not on a matter of personal preference such as this. But I implore you to consider this alternative configuration.

The tri-V2 is now ready for final assembly. The flood emitter is a very warm color. The reflector emitter is going to be optional as either a bright white emitter or a neutral tint emitter. The neutral color emitter is towards the cooler side of the neutral bin (towards the higher color temperature). The difference between the two isn't great but I think it will make those people who are interested in neutral tint quite satisfied.

Mixing the flood and the reflector together the way that the tri-V2 does, is somewhat magical in my opinion. The effect is like standing around a very powerful campfire where your peripheral vision is completely enveloped in a very warm color. Whilst simultaneously wielding a flashlight with a reflector sporting a much cooler white emitter. I have been using and living with this set up in the tri-V2 prototype for many months and have grown very fond of it. So much so I've made this dual emitter mixing the default mode for part of the tri-V2 programming. At night when walking down a dark trail this combination is both soothing and illuminating in a way that a single color temperature is not. I appreciate your perspective and desire for a single color temperature but maybe once you try this you'll see it's possibilities.

You can of course program the light anyway you like. But I'm confident that many of you will really appreciate the mixing that is now possible with the tri-V2. As always, I thank you and everyone for your opinions. My flashlights have always been and always will be shaped by this kind of customer feedback right here in my forum.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tri-V2 is now ready for final assembly. The flood emitter is a very warm color. The reflector emitter is going to be optional as either a bright white emitter or a neutral tint emitter. The neutral color emitter is towards the cooler side of the neutral bin (towards the higher color temperature). The difference between the two isn't great but I think it will make those people who are interested in neutral tint quite satisfied.

Dave - Speaking for many of the neutral lovers out there I wish you would reconsider your usage of the neutral tints. Many (if not most) members here prefer a neutral that is closer to the 4000-4500K range. Many consider the 5C1/5B4 tint to be the perfect neutral. Would you consider offering that as the alternative neutral tint rather than a cooler neutral likely in the 3C/3D range?

Other than that, your choice of warm on the MC-E on the original Tri-V has always pleased me, so I have no concerns on your choices there.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your thoughtful response, Dave. As you might remember, I contacted you already on the first week I joined CPF...just after the last wave of Tri V 1 was over. So you know I am interested in this next batch for sure!!

I am just a big user of small flood/mule lights. So this emitter would see the most regular use for me, and thus...the tint would be especially important to me as a stand alone emitter.

I would need to make some serious sacrifices to make this light happen, so in order to justify the sell off I am considering the pros and cons very seriously. I am just not convinced that I will be happy with the warm XPG as the flood given the amount I envision using this LED in particular.

I also have a pretty strong imagination which tells me that the two tints as you describe them have the potential to be better than any one tint when combined. That I believe.

Thanks for taking the time to explain your thoughts behind the choice.

obi

Shooter21

Enlightened
damn it i really want my first spy to be a tri v2 but the lack of water resistance is a show stopper for me.

easilyled

Flashaholic
No the Tri-V2 uses XP-G emitters. Also, the XP-G2 is a little more flood with such a small reflector as is in the Tri-V2, not what I prefer here.

Cheers
Dave

I'm surprised that the XP-G2 is more floody in the (18mm ?) reflectors.
From what I'd read, I'd been led to believe that the XP-G2 always provides more throw than the XP-G1 regardless of which reflector was used.

I'm sure that you must have tested it to come to this conclusion.
This just goes to show that its dangerous to make general assumptions about things.

stoli67

Enlightened
It has been a long time coming... I am sure that it will be worth the wait.

It will be a big ask for it to move my SWGG 007 from my pocket

;-)

Aussiemate

Newly Enlightened
In my most humble opinion, I truly believe that these lights are a special work of art. That being the case it is up to the artist to completely define their unique creation as they see fit.

That like all art it is up to the individual then to interpret and decide exactly what that piece of art means to them. However I strongly believe that it is for Data alone to ultimately define and create his artwork true to the vision that has driven him to create it.

I would like to say that I mean no disrespect to anyone with my comments. I am brand new here a am speaking only in generalizations. I am not referring to anyone or any post. I mean only to make a simple point as to artistic license to create.

ffemt6263

Enlightened
In my most humble opinion, I truly believe that these lights are a special work of art. That being the case it is up to the artist to completely define their unique creation as they see fit.

That like all art it is up to the individual then to interpret and decide exactly what that piece of art means to them. However I strongly believe that it is for Data alone to ultimately define and create his artwork true to the vision that has driven him to create it.

I would like to say that I mean no disrespect to anyone with my comments. I am brand new here a am speaking only in generalizations. I am not referring to anyone or any post. I mean only to make a simple point as to artistic license to create.

Very well spoken sir and i completely agree with you. I dont think anyone here will be upset over your comment, at least i hope not. One of the big reasons i enjoy high end flashlights is that they are functional pieces of art. I myself am a big tattoo person and ive never gone to an artist with a picture and said tattoo this on me. Thats why they are the artist. They know whats best. Any tattoo ive ever seen that was done that way, while it may be very nice, just isnt quite "right." Anyway i can only hope i can afford one of these soon as it is certainly my grail light.

shichuhei

Newly Enlightened
:drool:I knew, I knew I shouldn't have looked in this forum!! Data, I have admired your work since stalking the CPF, EDC sites and seeing the your 007 on the internet. You do some fantastic work with excellent craftsmanship there. And I'm very much looking forward to the opportunity to purchasing a TriV2 hopefully with Gunner Grip!

Rudi

Enlightened
as far as I know the GG option has not yet been confirmed for this light, as Dave still had some issues to resolve before confirming that the GG option would fly.

Any pogress on this, Dave?

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,

I can't view the video, I get this message,

"This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Sorry about that." :thinking:

Thanks
Todd

Latest posts