True confessions of a flashaholic

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
At my favorite tactical shops, I keep asking for their discontinued models, those that they kept in the drawer, unloved, etc...

scout24

Flashaholic
Kestrel- Being able to drive to Oveready could be a dangerous thing. "Just running out for milk, Hon. Can I pick up anything for you?" :)

EDIT- I find myself within driving distance of Data's Treehouse... :aaa:

Father Azmodius

Enlightened
1. The wifey doesn't recognize a new addition because I have so many lights

2. The wifey now understands different lights for different situations

3. The wifey carries a light in her purse, reluctantly at first

4. The wifey had to use it to lead a group of commuters out of a metro tunnel that was filling up with smoke

5. The wifey doesn't ask how much I spend on lights anymore

Monocrom

Flashaholic
1. The wifey doesn't recognize a new addition because I have so many lights

2. The wifey now understands different lights for different situations

3. The wifey carries a light in her purse, reluctantly at first

4. The wifey had to use it to lead a group of commuters out of a metro tunnel that was filling up with smoke

5. The wifey doesn't ask how much I spend on lights anymore

Woah! Go back to #4. Can we get a few details on what took place? Sounds like she was a hero.

Father Azmodius

Enlightened
The wifey works in downtown DC and takes the red line of the metro. The same red line that had trains crashing into each other and fires in the tunnels. Well.......one morning the train stops and the conductor very emphatically orders everyone off the train. She remembers that I insisted she put a light (a 4 sevens 2xAA) in her bag, so she ends up leading somewhere around 30 people through the tunnel to the nearest stairwell. She tells the story much better than I do.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The wifey works in downtown DC and takes the red line of the metro. The same red line that had trains crashing into each other and fires in the tunnels. Well.......one morning the train stops and the conductor very emphatically orders everyone off the train. She remembers that I insisted she put a light (a 4 sevens 2xAA) in her bag, so she ends up leading somewhere around 30 people through the tunnel to the nearest stairwell. She tells the story much better than I do.

I really wish CPF had a "Like" button, for posts such as your's.

Father Azmodius

Enlightened
She is from Michigan originally, and we got married in 2009, so she wasn't here for 9/11 and the madness that was the exodus of the District. She carries a light, spare eneloops, a gerber tool, and a Delorme inReach 2 way satellite communicator. She wasn't on the train the day of the fatal crash in 2009 because we were getting married that week. I need to make sure she's prepared for when the zombie apocalypse (or whatever breakdown in the norm) jumps off......and she agrees. The zombie apocalypse is how I have justified quite a bit of the toys that I want actually.

uofaengr

Enlightened
1. I've sold expensive knives to fund expensive flashlights. Huge for me.

2. I find putting batteries in a charger strangely satisfying.

3. The vacuum feeling of a perfect fit of a cell in a particular light is strangely satisfying.

4. I eagerly wait for wifey to go to sleep so I can white wall hunt in another room, judgment free.

5. I spend most of my free time at work and in the john browsing CPF for new threads/info.

6. I look at everyone else's light to see what they're using. Yet to see anything beyond a Streamlight.

7. I find any excuse to go into a dark area or outside at night to use my lights.

LedTed

Enlightened
Like many of us here, I have a monthly flashlight maintenance ritual.

When my wife and I used to have two cats, one of them would let me know that it was play time, in the wee hours of the morning, by knocking my NiteCore D10 off of my nightstand. I would, get on the floor, find my flashlight, and use its lowest setting while playing; as to not awaken my peacefully slumbering wife.

Again, to not wake my wife while getting ready for work in the morning, I use one of my NC D11.2s on its lowest setting as the only additional light source; even while in the shower.

While having a discussion with my father about Boy Scouts being rescued, in part by one of them using his flashlight to signal rescue aircraft, I said that I always try to have a flashlight on-hand or at-arm's-length. I then made my point by pulling out a D11.2 from near the arm of the couch on which I was sitting.

I recently decided to fill that 1 time in 20 I could use more than 200 lumens, by upgrading to a custom HDS flashlight.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] Referencing The Walking Dead as a excuse as to why so many batteries and flashlights [...]
I like that one. :thumbsup:

One more I just thought of,

9. Still actively trying to wear out my pair of AW 2600mAH 18650's while I have a 'new' :)rolleyes:) set of 2900's waiting to be put into service. :eek: Now that I have a set of lightly-used 3100's incoming, maybe that will be enough to finally get me to recycle these old 2600's ...

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ah! Intentionally trying to wear out or drain old cells to put in new, fresh ones. I've done that too. :)

teacher

Newly Enlightened
Well, after reading this thread I don't feel quite as guilty anymore.......... I see I'm not alone in this "sickness". :eek:
There seems to be many of us with the same "symptoms". :thumbsup:

After reading the first ""List"" of the OP's.... I think I should be doing some type version of #3.
I am amazed at his #5... I can only wish I had done this over the past 4 or 5 years.

And I too am guilty of #7.

3. Not only do I track all of my flashlight expenditures in Excel (sorted by year), but I maintain 'cost basis' numbers for all my flashlight setups.
5. If my flashlight expenditures go above $350 in any one year, I either sell something or wait until the next year before making additional purchases.
7. The most expensive light I own, I use the least. :confused:
Your flashlight confessions? :)
Now for a few of my own 'confessions'.......... :eek:

1. In the beginning I bought way to many chargers and batteries [some of both contained the word 'Fire'] instead of reading & researching BEFORE I bought. In other words... I bought what turned out to be "junk" and then worked my way up to the good stuff after reading & research here on CPF.
Mucho wasted money in the process...... :shakehead

2. On lights that I really, really like.... I have at least one 'spare' [still in the box of course] "in stock". :sssh:

3. Just like the vast majority of my knives, there are very few people I trust with most of my lights. :caution:

4. I think I may need Professional :help: ......... :thumbsup:

Gotta love it though. :)

nomadtor416

Newly Enlightened
- Our family was staying in a timeshare in Costa Rica earlier this year, and at nighttime there were no streetlamps or other lighting to help get between the house and the restaurants or beach that were a few blocks away. Relatives staying with us in the house next door was glad I brought along my Thrunite TN12-2014; they said they'd never think about bringing a tactical flashlight while travelling. Came in handy again when we travelled to Trinidad afterwards.

- Slowly turning my immediate family into tactical flashlight carriers by giving away some of my older Thrunites to each of them. Even my 6-year old son has inherited my old TN12-2012.

- Now I want a tactical flashlight in every room of our small condo apartment...just because. ;-)

Last edited:

MrJino

Enlightened
I keep a 16000 mah bank and vc4 charger in my backpack?

I mostly use high for everything haha. Except walking my dog at night, moon for that.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like that one. :thumbsup:

One more I just thought of,

9. Still actively trying to wear out my pair of AW 2600mAH 18650's while I have a 'new' :)rolleyes:) set of 2900's waiting to be put into service. :eek: Now that I have a set of lightly-used 3100's incoming, maybe that will be enough to finally get me to recycle these old 2600's ...

I only recently wore out the original AW 2200 mah cells.

cobrajack

Newly Enlightened
I am guilty as charged on all of the above. 15 flashlights and can never find one when I need it.

Noctiluco

Newly Enlightened
Nice thread, I feel very accompanied!

- I note in excel each of my shopping, ordering and delivery dates, and price. I thought that was a way to control spending.
- Now every year I try to beat my spending record.
- I have 16 lights 1 x 18650, 1 Light 2 x 18650, 1 light 3 x 18650, but I have just two 18650 batteries, but many CR123. Only use the 18650.
- I use my lights on the field, and sometimes carry spare batteries and sometimes not. But always carry several flashlights with inserted battery, and I'm sorry if I can not use all
- I have now two flashlights in my car keys.
- I just do a little use to my favorite lights, to avoid scratches. But I use a lot my worst lights, even some of them abuse, regretting that the anodized take so long to break down
- Good lights using always with lanyard and transported in holster.
- I like my lights have strobe, because I think so I can scare the wild boars, and sometimes at night I find horses that during spring are in heat and are very nervous.
- When I meet in the night with a boar or horse, get down the light, set the low light levels and accelerated the walking, because I do not want the boar angry, and I do not want the horse to be angry or not angry.
- My family has better lights that 99.99% of people
- People know I like flashlights but do not know I'm crazy about them.
- I keep the boxes, manuals, etc.
Etc, etc.

xzel87

Enlightened
My most expensive light is my most used light, it is also my most beat up light (bought it used, added more scrapes and dings due to edc). Gives me great satisfaction just rubbing the knurling and feeling the dings and scratches.

Sometimes I wish I can just spend my entire paycheck on lights, and worry about eating later. Fortunately it has not come to pass.

I keep all the packaging and included manuals etc.

I have more batteries than my lights will need but I still want more.

Runtime on my lights are longer than what I'll ever need them to be yet I still want longer runtime and brighter lights.

I'm hooked on Malkoff (since receiving my first m61 drop in last week), the solidness of the drop in is so nice.